Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equaliser direct debit

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Is it true that customers with the household benefits package can no longer avail of the equaliser direct debit scheme?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Sigourney,

I have double-checked this for you and it is not the case. Equaliser is still available for Household Budget customers.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Hi Sigourney,

I have double-checked this for you and it is not the case. Equaliser is still available for Household Budget customers.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Una
    My mother's account had an equaliser direct debit for years. I took a look at her bill that issued before Christmas and the DD amount was for the full amount of the bill, without any of the usual information about the amount of future instalments. After many phone calls, I was told last week by Electric Ireland that the equaliser DD is no longer available to customers who avail of the household benefits package.
    My original hunch was that the problem was due to her switching her gas account to EI late last year.
    Any ideas?

Hi again Sigourney,

The Household Budget system is one where the customer makes payments themselves every week. Are you referring to FEA maybe (Free Electricity Allowance)? Because the Equaliser has been discontinued for that, due to the implementation of a new system, which has commenced this year.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Sigourney,

The Household Budget system is one where the customer makes payments themselves every week. Are you referring to FEA maybe (Free Electricity Allowance)? Because the Equaliser has been discontinued for that, due to the implementation of a new system, which has commenced this year.

Regards,
    Una
    Sorry- I meant the FEA.

That's no problem at all Sigourney. Yes, it has been discontinued for the FEA.

• Advertisement

Sigourney wrote: »
    Sorry- I meant the FEA.
    So her only option is to stick with the regular direct debit payment every two months?

How long is she a customer with Electric Ireland, Sigourney?

How long is she a customer with Electric Ireland, Sigourney?
    In her own name, almost 20 years. Before that, the account was in my late father's name.

Hi again Sigourney,

I was asking senior colleagues just now about more on the FEA/Equaliser and they said it may be possible to have it reapplied, but it would not be recommended, due to the new system.

Your mother could make manual payments onto the account between bills via paperless means (such as the EasyPay card) in order to reduce the direct debit amount significantly, so long as sufficient time is given between the last payment and the direct debit. Because she is a customer with us that length of time, she could also cancel the direct debit all together, but she would lose the direct debit discount if she is on a discount price-plan.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Sigourney,

I was asking senior colleagues just now about more on the FEA/Equaliser and they said it may be possible to have it reapplied, but it would not be recommended, due to the new system.

Your mother could make manual payments onto the account between bills via paperless means (such as the EasyPay card) in order to reduce the direct debit amount significantly, so long as sufficient time is given between the last payment and the direct debit. Because she is a customer with us that length of time, she could also cancel the direct debit all together, but she would lose the direct debit discount if she is on a discount price-plan.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks,Una
    We'll see how it goes with the regular direct debit. I'd say she'll probably make some extra online payments during the summer when (hopefully) her heating costs should be a bit lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement