Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako A7

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Anybody here have or use a sako a7, was looking at one in a dealers last weekend, nice rifle, are they worth the extra few bob more than the tikka?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do not have one, but was looking at them a few months back. They seem to be a "cheaper" version of the 85 to help Sako compete with Tikka (although basically the same company).

One thing i have noticed about Sako synthetic stocks is they are not as bad as the Tikka. Feels better, and has a "non slip" surface. I like the graduated cheek riser instead of the cheek looking lump of plastic stuck on the Tikka's. (Apologies to the Tikka owners for what seems like a Tikka bashing session. Not intended)

Have you got a chance to pick up the gun? What are your impressions?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Ya i handled it, felt nice, the stock felt a lot better than other injection molded stocks, the rubber coating or what ever it is made it seem better, i was looking at a blued version in 243 for 1300, i reckon could get him down more though, so about 250 more than the average tikka lite price, so 250 for a nicer stock, weaver bases and a shorter action that can be top loaded,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Cass wrote: »
    Do not have one, but was looking at them a few months back. They seem to be a "cheaper" version of the 85 to help Sako compete with Tikka (although basically the same company).

One thing i have noticed about Sako synthetic stocks is they are not as bad as the Tikka. Feels better, and has a "non slip" surface. I like the graduated cheek riser instead of the cheek looking lump of plastic stuck on the Tikka's. (Apologies to the Tikka owners for what seems like a Tikka bashing session. Not intended)

Have you got a chance to pick up the gun? What are your impressions?

I have never seen an a7. I was looking at an 85 a couple of years back. The stainless synthetic version and I compared it to a t3 lite stainless. I couldn't see where the extra 1050 euro went. The action is a little bit nicer and the steel mag was nice but the stock was every bit as bad as the tikka. It wasn't even fully floated. If the a7 is supposed to be a cheap version of the 85 the stock must be woeful altogether. :) I reckon get a timber 85 or an older 75. Just my 2 cents worth.

silverfox1 wrote: »
    ...........I reckon get a timber 85 or an older 75.
    Don't mention the war. :Dprivate joke, sorry

The 75 is a lovely rifle as is the 85 however at €1800+ it's a lot of money. I see where you are coming from in terms of what do you get for the extra €700 - €800. Suppose it's down to brand name. I mean if you wanted a shotgun a Baikal will do the job. So why pay the extra €1,000 - €5,000 for the Beretta range?

As for stocks. The Tikka feels very plastic-y. The Sako range, while synthetic, does not have the same feel. The grip is different and makes you feel in control whereas Tikka's feel "slippery". Personal opinion. The one thing i wouldn't worry about is the action/barrel. Sako are excellent for performance, reliability, build quality, etc. So no worries on that front. Tikka are a great rifle no doubt, but i think Sako just have the edge on them. Again basing that purely on personal opinion as opposed to hard fact from rigorous testing.

Few things to ask yourself (OP that is)
    • Do you like Sako?
    • Do you like the feel of the rifle?
    • Is the price within your budget?
    • Would you be happy with this gun in a few months?

If you can answer yes to these then i would seriously consider one. However i would not buy something i was "not pushed" on. You have to live with it, and no point settling for the runner up in terms of your choices.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ya when you go up to the sako 85 price range of 1800-1900 you'd expect a better quality stock than an injection moulded plastic one, even howas have a better quality stock with their overmould one at 750

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Few things to ask yourself (OP that is)
    • Do you like Sako?
    • Do you like the feel of the rifle?
    • Is the price within your budget?
    • Would you be happy with this gun in a few months?

If you can answer yes to these then i would seriously consider one. However i would not buy something i was "not pushed" on. You have to live with it, and no point settling for the runner up in terms of your choices.

I love sako rifles, had a 75 varmint in .223 and it was a cracker

The rifle feels nice although still a bit of play in the forend like nearly all plastic stocks

Its about the max of my budget at the moment although i could hold off till next season just to up my budget more

I cant ever see myself having a rifle for life, i love trying different guns and calibers to much to settle on a keeper so more importantly for me would be if it'll depreciate in value a lot or not

ormondprop wrote: »
    I cant ever see myself having a rifle for life, i love trying different guns and calibers to much to settle on a keeper so more importantly for me would be if it'll depreciate in value a lot or not
    Completely understandable, but even short term. I bought a .243 years ago. Steyr Mannlicher, sythetic stock, etc. Loved the gun at first then grew to hate it. Within 3 months it was traded, and gone for a 6.5x55.

I'm a fecker for changing too, but i'd like to get at least a year out of a gun, and the worse thing is to start hating something almost straight after you buy it.
    Its about the max of my budget at the moment although i could hold off till next season just to up my budget more
    That is always the fall back option. Impulse buys usually are not great. You could always wait till the end of this season. some lads will be trading and something you did not expect might come up.

Bottom line seems to be you like the rifle, but would prefer something else. I would try for the "something else" first. A rifle should impress you straight away or not. If you have to talk yourself into it maybe it's not the right one for you.

I would be very interested to hear from someone who owns one.

I loved the rifle but the stock even though its better than others still lets it down, especially compared to other guns there, he had a lovely sauer .25-06 camo with fluted barrel, but was over 2k, amazing gun though, oozed quality, my head is telling me to trade in for a new gun but i just haven't come across anything i really want yet, well i have but they're all well out of my budget, i see a nice looking sauer .22-250 for 1150 on a website, if only it was in .243 or similar calibre it would be perfect, i know i should wait for something decent 2nd hand to pop up but i just have no patience haha

I loved the rifle but the stock even though its better than others still lets it down, especially compared to other guns there, he had a lovely sauer .25-06 camo with fluted barrel, but was over 2k, amazing gun though, oozed quality, my head is telling me to trade in for a new gun but i just haven't come across anything i really want yet, well i have but they're all well out of my budget, i see a nice looking sauer .22-250 for 1150 on a website, if only it was in .243 or similar calibre it would be perfect, i know i should wait for something decent 2nd hand to pop up but i just have no patience haha
    Don't under rate the 22-250. I've shot more deer and foxes with one than all the other guns I've had.

........ but i just have no patience haha

Who does. ;)

The Sauer is a lovely rifle. Well built, excellent pedigree, everything you expect from Sauer. However they are very pricey. New they run in the region of €2400 - €4700 depending on model. Second hand they cost as much as most other rifles new. Surprisingly they don't come up too often. However they are a pure hunting rifle. Even on the range when testing ammo the 30-06 used to climb high and right after 3 shots. Irrespective of ammo. A mate has one in 25-06, and gets the same problems.

Not sure what they are like in other calibers. However those three shots were on the money. So when i say hunting purely i mean one shot to hit the animal, and an accurate follow up shot or two. For any other purpose not suitable (at least not in 30-06).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Sauer is superb. Beautifully balanced. A friend I do a lot of shooting with has one and it's a pleasure to shoot and handle. Cries out to be shot offhand. I have a Sako 75 and it's extremely well made, but heavy. Even comparing it to the Sauer, which is no lightweight either, you'd really notice the difference even after a decent morning's stalking. If you're looking for a pure, hard wearing stalking rifle, the Tikka sounds like a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If I was buying a tikka I would probably get the stainless laminated version.
    The stock would be a lot better than the plastic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My advice is to buy a tikka hunter. There might be a few plastic bits on them, such as the mags, but the end result of that is a lighter rifle. Spare mags are cheap and light and handy to have.
    I'm no fan of plastic, but I'm glad I went with the Tikka over the Sako in the end. If you do your part, and I don't always do mine, it will be all the rifle you'll ever need for stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Do a ring around the dealers and see if you can't pick up a secondhand Sako 75.

You won't look back or won't to sell. It's a keeper. :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Advantages for T3 over the Sako is that you can rebarrel back and forth between long and short action.
    Huge range of aftermarket bits to make a great custom rifle. With Sako especially the A7 you might be stuck.
    edi

Just back from Sean Hardings's in Stakelums. See he has a new batch of Tikka T3's in .243, 6.5 & .308.

If the A7 is causing you to "pause" then maybe take a look at these.

What model tikkas are they cass? What did you think of the a7 there?

What model tikkas are they cass?
    Think it was the T3 lite. Knowing Sean he won't have them long. always does a good deal on them.
    What did you think of the a7 there?
    Here is a good one for you. I picked up a Sako, never bothered to check what model as i did not know he had one. If it was the A7 i liked it. Felt good, and the stock is way better than the Tikka. The grip feels more secure as i thought it might. Light, and well balanced rifle.

Again if it was the A7 and for the slight difference in price to the Tikka, i'd be looking at the A7 more closely.

The a7 was a blued .243, if it hadn't rubber panels imbedded into the stock it was the a7 i reckon you pocked up, just to the left of the gunroom door as you go in, the rubber coating on the stock makes it feel a lot nicer than a plain plastic stock of the tikka lite,

I feel in love with the camo .25-06 there, think it was a sauer, did you see it?
    Which reminds me i need to start doing the lotto more often :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I loved the rifle but the stock even though its better than others still lets it down, especially compared to other guns there, he had a lovely sauer .25-06 camo with fluted barrel, but was over 2k, amazing gun though, oozed quality,

I know the owner of that sauer, I can't understand why he is selling it! :confused: Minded like a baby and has very little shooting done. But I didn't complain because I got alot of premium ammo off him for a greatly reduced price! :D

The a7 was a blued .243, if it hadn't rubber panels imbedded into the stock it was the a7 i reckon you picked up, just to the left of the gunroom door as you go in,
    That was it so. I never bothered looking at the model. Was there on a different mission, but i like to handle as many guns as possible. Keeps Sean busy wiping them down when i leave. :D
    the rubber coating on the stock makes it feel a lot nicer than a plain plastic stock of the tikka lite,
    No comparison. IMO.
    I feel in love with the camo .25-06 there, think it was a sauer, did you see it?
    Which reminds me i need to start doing the lotto more often :D
    I did. Some kit. I seen it immediately when i walked in. What drew me attention was the camo pattern. Not the usual "DIY" job you see on too many guns these days. Looked amazing, felt great, and a stonking caliber too.

As you said need to start doing the lotto more often.
    patsat wrote: »
    I know the owner of that sauer, I can't understand why he is selling it! :confused: Minded like a baby and has very little shooting done. But I didn't complain because I got alot of premium ammo off him for a greatly reduced price! :D
    As said above it's a fabulous gun. Looks the part, well finished, and not too heavy by any standards. Will make a terrific deer rifle for someone. He must have only got it in though. I was in Sean's only at the start of the week and did not notice it there. Or maybe Sean hadn't put it up yet. I noticed he had moved some stuff around today.

When i saw it i thought it was new, its a beaut, what model is it? I looked them up on the net and all o saw were ones with camo stocks unlike that one which is all camo, i generally don't like camo guns but that one really caught my eye, what was it traded in against just out of curiosity

When i saw it i thought it was new..........

Same as that.

Back down in Sean's today. Made sure it was the A7 i looked at. As it turns out it was the one i looked at the last time.

Took ore time to look at it and compared it to the Tikka that was there. The Sako is, imo, a better rifle. It feels more sold, and much more "secure" in the hands. Looks nice, and this was the blued version not the stainless. The picatinny bases are a useful touch meaning you are not stuck with Optilock only as an option.

The action was as crisp and smooth as the Sako 85 on the back wall. Gun is lovely and light, and well balanced. I imagine with a nice Zeiss or S&B scope is would still retain this balance. The barrel is heavier than the pictures on the web show meaning it will most likely nt be prone to over heating or at least not quickly. Lastly it's in .243 so a great caliber.

I'm more convinced now than at the start of the thread that for the extra 200 or so Euro the Sako is the better choice.

Ya its nice alright, i must find out how much the stainless version is?

I'm thinking the sako (or a tikka laminate stainless) in .243 or .25-06 with my swarovski z3 and maybe an A-tec maxim, would make for a lovely light stalking and lamping rig

Or something completely different if i come across a nice 2nd hand gun

I'm thinking the sako (or a tikka laminate stainless) in .243 or .25-06 with my swarovski z3 and maybe an A-tec maxim, would make for a lovely light stalking and lamping rig
    Would be a nice kit.

One thing though. I rang Ardee some 3-4 months ago about the Tikka in Laminate stock and they had none. Orders not due in till sometime later this year. You would be looking at May at the earliest b ut most likely later.
    Or something completely different if i come across a nice 2nd hand gun
    Like a Sauer in camo finish in 25-06. :D

Haha i'd be saving for a good while to buy that sauer, smashing rifle though, its been a while aince i've seen a laminate tikka alright, lovely looking guns, i have it in my head to buy a stainless gun unless i come across a nice timber sako or sauer or other nice european gun in my price range

................. its been a while aince i've seen a laminate tikka alright, lovely looking guns,...........
    They are. The Father was looking at possibly getting one, but when i heard the delay on them i knew it would be a no go. So could be a while again before you see one unless one turns up second hand.
    .......... i have it in my head to buy a stainless gun unless i come across a nice timber sako or sauer or other nice european gun in my price range
    As said above no point in settling for something you are "okay" with. I'd sooner wait and get what i want than buy now and settle for "second choice".

• Advertisement

Check out the sauer in the for sale section. Fine rifle.

Advertisement