Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of survival knives?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi
    I have had a quick look and I think this is the best place to ask this question! Does anyone know the legal stance on having a knife in your backpack while out hiking. I have bought the Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife, it is a three quarter tang 4.8" blade. It does come with a sheath. I keep it packed away in my bag while walking. If anyone knows do I need a licence or will I get arrested if I am ever stopped and searched up the hills?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do I need a licence or will I get arrested if I am ever stopped and searched up the hills?
    There is no licencing system for knives. How would the situation of being stopped and searched in the hills ever arise? I can't see it happening realistically. Even if it did, you have a legitimate reason for having the knife in that scenario.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

You're ok once you have a legitimate reason for carrying one...hunting, fishing, camping etc. bit tougher to explain a knife on your belt while in a shop :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Strong Light Bulb

Esel wrote: »
    There is no licencing system for knives. How would the situation of being stopped and searched in the hills ever arise? I can't see it happening realistically. Even if it did, you have a legitimate reason for having the knife in that scenario.

Ahh I only ask because the last time I was our hiking the Garda happend to pull up behind us when we were parking and I had the knife on me, they didn't want to search us just see what we were doing. So I just taught I would ask on here yano that way! :) Thanks man!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Ahh I only ask because the last time I was our hiking the Garda happend to pull up behind us when we were parking and I had the knife on me, they didn't want to search us just see what we were doing. So I just taught I would ask on here yano that way! :) Thanks man!! :)

No harm in asking. I'm a scout leader and general mountain outdoor type and I couldn't tell you the legislation myself. I bring a knife with me all the time and never stopped to think if it was illegal or not.

Does anyone have a link or reference to the actual law on carrying knives in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Does anyone have a link or reference to the actual law on carrying knives in Ireland ?[/Quote]
    just a bit i found on Dept of Justice.

14. What are Offensive Weapons? Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.  These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.  Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists.  You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here  and the 2009 amendment to it here . The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act  1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.   15. What are the laws on importing knives? The only type of weapons prohibited for importation are those listed under the 1991 Order on offensive weapons and the 2009 amendment to it.  This order includes flick knives and several types of disguised knives among other weapons.  Other type of knives can be imported, however an individual could be charged for possession of same in public without a lawful reason as set out in Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990.  

I just Googled Irish law on knives!!
    Hope this helps :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Strong Light Bulb

Thanks RICHIE.39 very helpful! :-)

I googled the "Section 9 of the firearms and Offensive Weapons act 1990" from your post and found this link,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0009.html

I think that it explains it pretty well! It seams to all be about if you have a good reason for you to have the knife!

Thanks all!! :-)

Advertisement