Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow 10 Mile Road Race Monday 18/03/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Ok then, sarnies and cakes dropped off at race HQ, nice atmosphere building. Be sure to drop in post race for grub. At the start line now, sun shining!!!
    And wouldn't you know it...the weather held up...perfect !
    Even a new course record in the womens race. Great stuff.
    Gotta lie down now, not from exhaustion , but from a full belly !!
    Well done Mallow AC , this race just gets better and better.
    Marshalling was first class, loadsa volunteers out, a big thanks
    to the motorbike riders , who did a great job slowing down traffic and
    keeping it outta runners way.
    The snood is a big hit with Wiggle junior, looks like I'll have to
    get another one next year for myself !

Mr.W~

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Excellent Race - very good work from motorcycle marshalls especially.
    90 second pb to just dip under 70 minutes for the 1st time. Headed off a bit faster but the pacers caught me just after the 4 mile water station (small squeeze bottles = top notch). In a lot of pain all through but held on. perfect even splits from the pacers - Clock was at 35:00 as I stepped on the 5 mile line and pulled a few yards ahead in the last 400m just to make sure. muchos gracias to mallow a.c. in general an in particular to the 70min pace lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just missed 70 minutes and my 68 minute target slipped from my grasp with slow mile 8 and mile 9, picked it up for the final mile to get home in about 70:30 still a pb, and a great day in Mallow.

The Buff is great, love it. Thanks to all at Mallow AC and neighbouring clubs, this race is very well put together.

I already decided before I started that I'd be back next year, despite a horrendous experience last year I still went back today. Race has a great draw. Well done Mallow AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭student2010

Great race today.

Well done to Mallow a.c. and all involved.

Very well marshaled throughout, great to see lots of volunteers helping out, particularly at the first water stop, must have been up to 25 people handing out bottles.

Perfect weather for it.

Will return for sure.

Results here; http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2013/kostal_ireland_mallow_10_fullresults.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Another great day out in Mallow.
    As others have said the support from the volunteers and marshals was great.
    I didn't take on any water but from what I saw it was a lot better than last year.
    Great to see so many out for this.
    The nicest cup of tea ever!
    A new PB by over 4 minutes from last year.
    Thanks to the 80min pacers for giving me something to stay ahead of.
    This race just keeps getting better.
    Thanks Mallow AC. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Injury put a stop to this for me. Last Monday we had 5 in car. Today we have 2. Where will we post back numbers or is there a need ??

Very sorry to hear you couldn't come due to an injury,no need to post back number.

Mallow A.C would like to thank all who took part today and making the event so successful,great to see the glowing coments as a lot of work goes on behind the scenes.Hope everyone enjoyed the day and we'll see ye again in the future.

psychozeb wrote: »
    Mallow A.C would like to thank all who took part today and making the event so successful,great to see the glowing coments as a lot of work goes on behind the scenes.Hope everyone enjoyed the day and we'll see ye again in the future.

When is entry for next year opening? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

59:51 :D

Woo hoo!!!

More details later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Great well organised race, really enjoyed it, nice course.

Only downside was the fact that there was no water in the toilets at the race HQ before the race, made for pretty disgusting toilets.

One question, are the times gun times or chip times? My result is a bit out from my watch and I didn't notice a mat at the start line?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

Woo hoo!!!

More details later.

Well done again. Savage time.
    Weetabix wrote: »

Only downside was the fact that there was no water in the toilets at the race HQ before the race, made for pretty disgusting toilets.

One question, are the times gun times or chip times? My result is a bit out from my watch and I didn't notice a mat at the start line?

No start mat so gun time only. I started my watch on the gun.

Weetabix wrote: »

Gun times as they can't put a mat across the road at the start because of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Woo hoo!!!

More details later.

Nice one! Good to bump into yourself & KentuckyPete at the start.

Very enjoyable & well organised race yet again. Wasn't sure how to approach it myself as I ran the Tralee marathon on Sat so in the end decided to see if I could stick with the 65m pacers. All seemed to hold together ok so I pushed on a small bit at mile 8 and as a bonus finished in exactly my Marathontalk Jantastic predicted race time (bonus)!

The handy thing I learned this year is that if you get back to the race hq early, you can grab a shower in the changing room behind the stage.

opus wrote: »
    The handy thing I learned this year is that if you get back to the race hq early, you can grab a shower in the changing room behind the stage.

I was wondering about them. Myself and the girl from Raheny were discussing the merits of using these v the ones in the pool. Didn't realise they were usable. Next year I'm going to beat her so I'll be first back :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Canbuildhalf

Well done Mallow A.C on a fantastic event will def be back.. My first 10 mile race aimed for sub hour and managed it. "59:38" over the moon i am, so relaxing now with a well deserved beverage.. well done to all here on Boards on their race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Excellently organised race today, loved the wide road start, didn't seemed to be the congestion problems that some races have at the start.
    Found mallow a joy to race, easy to get in to and no problems with parking. Course was very fair and it helped the weather held up. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

ajk24 wrote: »
    Excellent Race - very good work from motorcycle marshalls especially.
    90 second pb to just dip under 70 minutes for the 1st time. Headed off a bit faster but the pacers caught me just after the 4 mile water station (small squeeze bottles = top notch). In a lot of pain all through but held on. perfect even splits from the pacers - Clock was at 35:00 as I stepped on the 5 mile line and pulled a few yards ahead in the last 400m just to make sure. muchos gracias to mallow a.c. in general an in particular to the 70min pace lads.
    i also passed the half way clock just as it reached 35.00 and finished just ahead of the 70 min pacers, must say the pacers were excellent and were all right on time, the ones i saw anyway, really well organised race will def be back

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Just want to Echo most peoples comments about a quality race. Everything runs seamlessly.
    Thanks to Psychozeb for giving us plenty of info in the run up to the race and for organising a replacement for my missing race number.

RobinPH, good to meet you afterwards today. Hope you got the opportunity for a well deserved beer before the trip home. Great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Just to echo everything that has been said. Great race. Great course. Marshals very helpful and courteous. Great to see Mick O Herilhy helping out with the water at mile 3. Lots of support throughout the course. Very well organised. Bottled water a huge plus. Pre-race help desk very efficient. Fine feed at the finish. Minor gripe in that the no headphones rule was flaunted by many but that's not the organisers fault.
    I ran on my own last year but brought 2 others from limerick with me this year. I'll try bring a few more for next year.
    I'll be singing yer praises in work for the week.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

How was the start organisation this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

just to echo what has been said by others, it was a great day
    - loads of parking close to start/finish,
    -no waiting around at start-
    -great stewarding, water stations and overall organisation.
    - the guys on the motorbikes were great on the main road
    -provisional results up online early in the evening

I thought the start was fine, a good wide strech of road and plenty of space - loads of time for the field to thin out before reaching the main road section

A very enjoyable race!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very happy with this race and my time. It's great to be able to run with people around you when going for a target time and although I've done a flatter course the company makes all the difference. From looking back at the start line I thought the pacers could have been arranged a bit better as they all seemed to be clustered right at the front of the pack, and not in order with 65 having their toe on the start line and 60 being 6 rows back or so with all of the rest. Only a minor gripe from my perspective as I got away ahead of the masses, but it probably doesn't help with encouraging people to line up in appropriate places if the pacers are not.

Anyway, I got off fine and tried to concentrate on not getting too carried away at the gun, but still aimed to not slow on the uphill in the first mile. It was about the top of the hill that the pacers caught up and I then kept just a touch infront of them for the run back down the hill towards town again. Once we were back on the flat it all spread out a bit more and a bit of a gap appeared between the two balloons. I was happy with the pace my watch was telling me though, had a few seconds in hand off setting it for 5:58 pace so just ran along behind pacer 1 and a bit infront of pacer 2 so stuck with that. Also got to watch the race for 2nd in the womens race from there. Was all going along fine until about 7miles when pacer 2 caught up with me again and I lost a bit of my time cushion. Was hurting, but nothing a bit of HTFU couldn't fix so dug in and didn't let the balloon get away.

Was still loosing a few more seconds of my time cushion according to the Garmin though and if it hadn't of been for the pacer to chase down at that point I'd have lost the motivation and faded away. By the time I got to the 9 mile mark the watch was saying 54:10 so knew it was going to be close. Had about 50 meters to make up on the pacer 2 balloon and pushed on and went past a couple of others who had just fallen off the back of the pacer. At about the entrance to the Tesco I made it past the pacer and Angela McCann and the watch was now saying 58 something, but I didn't notice what the something was, just that it was going to be fecking close. Round the last corner and could see the clock in the distance saying 59:3?, struggling to focus on the time ticking down, praying for the clock to slow down, it doesn't. Longest few seconds of the day but finally make it over the mat and stop the watch at 59:51.

:D:D:D:D

Good to see a few people again before and after, although I was struggling to stay upright when EauRouge came over and said hello 2 seconds after I crossed the line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

My race report is here for anyone that might be interested.

Well done Mallow AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I was wondering about them. Myself and the girl from Raheny were discussing the merits of using these v the ones in the pool. Didn't realise they were usable. Next year I'm going to beat her so I'll be first back :cool:

Well can't comment on the ones in the women's changing room :p but the men's while probably not as luxurious as the setup at the pool certainly got the job done!

The showers at the pool did the job and made for a more pleasant drive back to the airport than I'd been expecting. Wish I'd remembered to pack my travel towel though as excellent as Dublin marathon tshirts are, they are not the best for drying yourself off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

How would people compare it to Ballycotton? Is it a faster (or potentially faster) course? I've done Ballycotton a couple of times but might give Mallow a go next year instead as a "home" race as the reports seem so positive.

Anyone found any pictures yet?

Anyone found any pictures yet?

some pictures from Doug Minihane here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/sets/72157633024535173/with/8569632742/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

You're in picture 323 in that set Robin but it's the only one - missed you at the bend onto the main road somehow. :-)

8568491739_903acdf09d.jpg
    Mallow-Kostal 10 Mile 2013 323 [Desktop Resolution] by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

You're also in a photo that a friend took at about 6 miles. He has about 140 good ones as well including some nice ones from overhead at the first bridge as you drop down after the start. (1/2 Mile or so).
    Just waiting on a message from him for permission to share them and I'll link them to Mallow AC page on FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

138 more of PJ O Briens photos now on the Mallow AC Facebook page as well.

Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/113447705356037/?fref=ts

Advertisement