Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a bootable parition to restore Windows 7

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all this is just going to be brief but I have created something magical tonight. :D

After spending a day and a half reinstalling Windows 7, I set out to find the best way to backup my works. This is what I have come up with,
    There is a tool in Windows 7 that creates a system image of your C drive (or wherever you have windows installed) its located in Backup and Restore > Create a system image. To do this you need a external hard drive or a network drive, a simple secondary drive in my PC wouldn't work in my case.
    When the imaging was complete I then made a bootable recovery disc. Heres the magic part I used easeus partition master to partition my drive inside my PC to fit the image and the bootable recovery files I had burnt (you dont need to make it HUGE). Next I used easybcd to edit the boot list so it included the recovery files upon boot up and BOOM! Hey presto you have a bootable parition and recovery image that you can recover from incase of a emergency no more pulling out CDs YEPPIE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

A day and a half????

W8 with www.ninite.com is a 60 min re-install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

cgarrad wrote: »
    A day and a half????

W8 with www.ninite.com is a 60 min re-install.

Yep, used that site but have LOADS more to install thats not listed including all the drivers ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

But if your drive fails...then recovery partition is useless...your next mission if you choose to accept it....is to make a recovery partition on a USB Drive or DVD so if you have to install new hard drive...you are sorted (-;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    But if your drive fails...then recovery partition is useless...your next mission if you choose to accept it....is to make a recovery partition on a USB Drive or DVD so if you have to install new hard drive...you are sorted (-;

True, the partition is a handy way if you ever want to recover quickly but I recommend backing up the image. I have my partition on a second drive in my PC and the image copied again on another drive in the PC along with all my files can never be to careful.

Advertisement