Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athy

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Im thinkin of moving to the Rathstewart area of Athy. Can anyone advise what the area is like? Also I hav a 4 year old daughter who is due to start primary school in Sept. Which school would be the best choice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I don't have any advice on the area, but I do suggest that you contact schools as soon as possible. Primary schools in my area (Sallins/Naas) have already held their meetings to hand out the enrollment forms, and places are being offered in the coming weeks. I think that is the norm.

Perhaps schools in Athy aren't over subscribed as they are in this area, and if not, ignore my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Rathsteward would be a good area, very close to town. quiet area. as previous poster said, contact the school as soon as possible. Contrary to what you may hear or read in other threads, it is a good town, good neighbours and good community spirit. enough shops to provide you with whatever you need, but no tesco or dunnes. It's a typical country town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Rathsteward would be a good area, very close to town. quiet area. as previous poster said, contact the school as soon as possible. Contrary to what you may hear or read in other threads, it is a good town, good neighbours and good community spirit. enough shops to provide you with whatever you need, but no tesco or dunnes. It's a typical country town
    its always been known as a rough town. But then again what town isn't these days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Janer12 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im thinkin of moving to the Rathstewart area of Athy. Can anyone advise what the area is like? Also I hav a 4 year old daughter who is due to start primary school in Sept. Which school would be the best choice?

That's a nice part of the town. Has social problems but the area you're looking at is across the river from some of the worst parts. And close to the new schools there as well.

As for Athy itself, country town with a poor name. Choked with traffic most days as there's just the one bridge in the town over the Barrow. Not great as regards retail, though Carlow, Portlaoise, KK, Newbridge are not a million miles away for decent shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Hi,

Just so you know, there are 3 primary schools close to Rathstewart, just keep going outside the town (about a mile) and on the left is a Texaco garage, and there are 4 schools on the right, all new white buildings.

Athy College is a secondary school, and there is a model school (old building burnt down, really nice building though), a Gael Scoile and Scoil Phadraig Naofa.

There is also Athy Montessori School in Tomard so close to the schools. More info on other schools here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Janer12

Thanks for your comment.

Is Athy Model a non catholic school?
    Cork Skate wrote: »

Just so you know, there are 3 primary schools close to Rathstewart, just keep going outside the town (about a mile) and on the left is a Texaco garage, and there are 4 schools on the right, all new white buildings.

Athy College is a secondary school, and there is a model school (old building burnt down, really nice building though), a Gael Scoile and Scoil Phadraig Naofa.

There is also Athy Montessori School in Tomard so close to the schools. More info on other schools here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for your comment.

Is Athy Model a non catholic school?

Yea it's Church of Ireland ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 natkow

hi , can some tell me something about Rathstewart Crescent, Athy, is a good region in athy? we have childern and must be safe. Is a good place too live with children? thank for quick ans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

natkow wrote: »
    hi , can some tell me something about Rathstewart Crescent, Athy, is a good region in athy? we have childern and must be safe. Is a good place too live with children? thank for quick ans.

I wouldn't think it's unsafe but it's a few years since I knew anyone living in there. I know people who used them as starter homes and moved on. Extremely convenient for schools but even by Celtic Tiger standards the arse have dropped out valuations there. I think they are very cramped together with little room for parking also - even by the standards of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Does anyone know if there is a school bus to and from the schools in Tomard? Coming from the Carlow Road side specifically? Or what transport links are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 robertmck89

Hi sorry for bringing up an old thread but I would love to hear how things are going in Athy for OP. We are moving to athy soon and have the same questions regarding schools. Our son will be starting September 18 so need to get him enrolled now really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laurajanedas

Hi I have just moved to athy and I love it everyone's so friendly and my little man is starting in the Irish school tomorrow i have advertised every where to see if someone would be interested in school drop and collection but am yet to get a reply really stuck ATM as he's too young for the bus but other than that could not fault it At all hope this helps

Hi I have just moved to athy and I love it everyone's so friendly and my little man is starting in the Irish school tomorrow i have advertised every where to see if someone would be interested in school drop and collection but am yet to get a reply really stuck ATM as he's too young for the bus but other than that could not fault it At all hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I would love some feedback from the Irish school as we would be very interested in enrolling him there. We hope to be in athy in the next month or 2 just waiting on the sale to through. Are you commuting from Athy for work? If so how do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laurajanedas

Thanks for the reply! I would love some feedback from the Irish school as we would be very interested in enrolling him there. We hope to be in athy in the next month or 2 just waiting on the sale to through. Are you commuting from Athy for work? If so how do you find it?[/quote

I will keep you updated the little man is so excited 😆 I don't commute to work but hubby does to clondalkin ATM travel time was what we expected but petrol is costing €20 a day just made our minds up to get a diesel !! Hopefully this helps

I will keep you updated the little man is so excited �� I don't commute to work but hubby does to clondalkin ATM travel time was what we expected but petrol is costing €20 a day just made our minds up to get a diesel !! Hopefully this helps[/QUOTE]

thanks again please do keep updated :). we are lucky enough to both drive diesels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks for the reply! I would love some feedback from the Irish school as we would be very interested in enrolling him there. We hope to be in athy in the next month or 2 just waiting on the sale to through. Are you commuting from Athy for work? If so how do you find it?

We just moved earlier in the year and our boy started in the Gaelscoil just last week in Junior Infants. All the schools in the area seem to be great but we went for the Gaelscoil - we'd heard so many good reports from friends and neighbours whose kids attend. Our boy loves it so far (early days), really lovely staff, building and grounds.

Definitely get his name down as this was the first year JI was oversubscribed and they had to turn a few away. If your kid is turning 5 before Sept '18 I wouldn't say you'd have any problems.

In the mean time there is a Naíonra in Tir na nÓg and they are all just fantastic in there.

I commute to Dublin 3 days of the week, it's not great but I find I've gotten really used to it - not sure if that's good or not. In the summer you fly in obviously but during school term it's a good hour to the M50, longer on the way back. It will get worse with the work being done to widen the M7.
    If there are any incidents and/or bad weather then it comes to a standstill. Fridays it's backed up from 3pm going out of the city.

PM me if any other questions.

Advertisement