If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker suggestions? 400 euro

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey guys,

I was wondering what speaker set would you reccomend for around 400euro to go with an onkyo txnr414 receiver?

Appreciate any help,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Mnms67 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what speaker set would you reccomend for around 400euro to go with an onkyo txnr414 receiver?

Appreciate any help,
    Thanks.
    The most popular 5.1 system with the TXNR414 is the Tannoy SFX5.1 which is really a bargain at just £199.95 / €249.99

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

showimage.php?image=304333.jpg&max_width=300&max_height=260

It really is an excellent sounding package for the spends and if you invest in a better sub-lead and speaker rather than the one included in the package it really can sing!

We still have a (very) few of the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 packages that we are clearing at £269.95 / €329.99 and if you can take the larger speakers - these are  huge improvement over the SFX - have a look here:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/vector/

vector-3.thumb.jpg
    Keep me posted if  any of these are of interest!

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mnms67

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'd be very interested in the Monitor Audio set. Would you recommend them over the wharfedale set you stock for approx 430euro?

Also i will be using the speakers equally for movies, music and games and was wondering how would you rate the Monitor Audio speakers in each of those categories?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'd be very interested in the Monitor Audio set. Would you recommend them over the wharfedale set you stock for approx 430euro?

Also i will be using the speakers equally for movies, music and games and was wondering how would you rate the Monitor Audio speakers in each of those categories?
    The Monitors are head and shoulders above the Wharfedale DX1 5.1 system - the Wharfedales are excellent to be fair but the Monitor Vectors are a significantly larger speaker (and on a limited deal, we only have a few left) the only downside is that they are maybe not as slick looking as the Wharfedales and the brackets (if required) are quite expensive at £24.95/ pair.. but in audio terms they go higher, lower and faster!

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

The Monitors are head and shoulders above the Wharfedale DX1 5.1 system - the Wharfedales are excellent to be fair but the Monitor Vectors are a significantly larger speaker (and on a limited deal, we only have a few left) the only downside is that they are maybe not as slick looking as the Wharfedales and the brackets (if required) are quite expensive at £24.95/ pair.. but in audio terms they go higher, lower and faster!

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    That's great thanks,

I like the system. My only concern is for the quality of music playback from the speakers. Have you had any experience with this?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

That's great thanks,

I like the system. My only concern is for the quality of music playback from the speakers. Have you had any experience with this?

Hi there,

I've personally demoed the Vector V10s (front and rear speakers) in the store quite a few times for customers.  they sound great for music and home cinema.  Very good bass for how small they are, with the sub as well it'll sound great.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Advertisement

Ok thanks,

How many of them do you have left?

And if i am purchasing do i go through your website?

Ok thanks,

How many of them do you have left?

And if i am purchasing do i go through your website?

Hi again,

We've a few left in stock.

To purchase you can go through the website or call us on 0044 333 900 0071.  Or if you'd like to PM me with a contact number I can call you.

Regards.
    Chris

That's great thanks,

In terms of Music playback - the Vectors satellites are far superior to the Wharfedales!

Keep us posted,

JohnMc & Crew

Just a final question, is gloss black the only finish avaiable?

Thanks for your patience

Just a final question, is gloss black the only finish avaiable?

Thanks for your patience
    No problem at all / that's what we are here for!

We only have the Vectors left in black and we stock the wharfdales in black as well but they are also available in white gloss to special order.

Thanks again,

John mc & crew

• Advertisement

Just wondering,

Do you guys stock any stands for these speakers?

Cheers.

Just wondering,

Do you guys stock any stands for these speakers?

Cheers.
    Mnms,

the vectors will fit on most stands such as the Pixel T80 at £49.95/pair

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands/pixel/t80/pixe-t80-stand

The satellites are too large for standard light satellite stands..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 18 phragmities

Mnms,

the vectors will fit on most stands such as the Pixel T80 at £49.95/pair

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands/pixel/t80/pixe-t80-stand

The satellites are too large for standard light satellite stands..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    On a maybe similar note I was wondering if you had any suggestions on the setup detailed below?
    Hi, 
     I am looking for some advice if thats ok, and have been drooling over your Onkyo TXNR 515. 
     At the moment I have a Cambrige audio A1 amp (purchased from you a number of years ago) and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers (specs unknown) I am using this setup to amplify the sound from a media centre PC which decodes sat TV and also has a store of Movies and MP3 on it. It has a reasonable if dated soundcard 7.1 with a row of 2.5mm audio jacks (gold plated) it also has an optical out on the front of the PC. I have been debating dusting off my turntable also!!!! I also play dvds etc via the internal drive!
     I suppose my question is would this setup be compatible with the onkyo receivers (I would be using the PC to process the video its my only source, but pc has a HDMI output and also a DMI monitor has the same inputs so I presume the AV receiver could process this but not necessary I think?).
    Are the MA bronze 2 suitable to include with a 5.1 (MA vector??) system to extend the speaker set up or even set up a center subwoofer and two rear speakers. If you get my meaning I think the MA speakers would be ok as my front speakers?
    What I would hope to do if the price was right is get the amp and speakers which may suit my setup in one delivery or alternatively purchase the amp and perhaps add to the setup at a later date.
    I was hoping for a budget of around 400 to 450 stg at the moment. I would rather start with a set up that can be added to in a few months rather than trimming back too much.
    I would be getting what ever was ordered delivered to Co. Cork

Thanks

Just to clarify how much would this cost:

Onkyo TXNR 414
    Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 set
    One pair of the Pixel t80 stands

And delivery to Athlone, Westmeath.

What would the total cost be in euros?

Thanks

Just to clarify how much would this cost:

Onkyo TXNR 414
    Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 set
    One pair of the Pixel t80 stands

And delivery to Athlone, Westmeath.

What would the total cost be in euros?

Thanks

Hi there,

Just spotted this.

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you. 

Order just left us about 10 mins ago :)  Should be with you tomorrow, Dave should be sending tracking info your way.

Hope you enjoy your system.

Chris

On a maybe similar note I was wondering if you had any suggestions on the setup detailed below?
    Hi, 
     I am looking for some advice if thats ok, and have been drooling over your Onkyo TXNR 515. 
     At the moment I have a Cambrige audio A1 amp (purchased from you a number of years ago) and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers (specs unknown) I am using this setup to amplify the sound from a media centre PC which decodes sat TV and also has a store of Movies and MP3 on it. It has a reasonable if dated soundcard 7.1 with a row of 2.5mm audio jacks (gold plated) it also has an optical out on the front of the PC. I have been debating dusting off my turntable also!!!! I also play dvds etc via the internal drive!
     I suppose my question is would this setup be compatible with the onkyo receivers (I would be using the PC to process the video its my only source, but pc has a HDMI output and also a DMI monitor has the same inputs so I presume the AV receiver could process this but not necessary I think?).
    Are the MA bronze 2 suitable to include with a 5.1 (MA vector??) system to extend the speaker set up or even set up a center subwoofer and two rear speakers. If you get my meaning I think the MA speakers would be ok as my front speakers?
    What I would hope to do if the price was right is get the amp and speakers which may suit my setup in one delivery or alternatively purchase the amp and perhaps add to the setup at a later date.
    I was hoping for a budget of around 400 to 450 stg at the moment. I would rather start with a set up that can be added to in a few months rather than trimming back too much.
    I would be getting what ever was ordered delivered to Co. Cork

Thanks
    Phragmities,

apologies that we missed you post and many thanks for your PM to Kenny!

I think that the 2.5mm outputs may be a bit of a red herring in this setup ( I actually suspect that they may be 3.5mm - 2.5mm does exist but is really rare these days!) there are very few mid end AV 7.1 receivers in the price region of the 515 that will take a pre amp output (I'm actually struggling to think of one at the moment).

Your best option therefore would probably be to use the Optical output from your media server or of course the HDMI direct into the 515 and allow the 515 to process video & audio..

have a look at the spec of the £268 - Onkyo TXNR515 here: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr515/onky-txnr515-blk

The Onkyo will work really well with the Vector setup and of course you can use your excellent B2's as the fronts and use one of the pairs of Vector sats as you 'height / front effect' monitors..however I just cannot squeeze the 515 and the Vector 5.1 system in at the £450 budget - the very best we could do is £530 - and if your heart is set on the Vectors - I wouldn't wait too long as we are just receiving our last small shipment later this week....

Apologies again for keeping you waiting and please don't hesitate to contact me if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi guys,

I have a question :) Will the bluray player I choose affect sound quality or is that governed entirely by the receiver and speakers?

Thanks, Mnms.

Hi guys,

I have a question  Will the bluray player I choose affect sound quality or is that governed entirely by the receiver and speakers?

Thanks, Mnms.
    Mnms,

Picture and Audio quality are governed from source to monitor... my advice would be to always be aware that a signal from a poor source cannot really ever be recovered later in the chain (ie lost information is just that - lost information!) This is especially important in Audio systems were there is no digital correction (however digital correction will usually only 'guesstimate' whats missing!

The basis tenant is always to have a balanced system - and every system is only as good as it's weakest link!

Drop us a line if yo need any more product or system specific ramblings!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi guys,

I have a question  Will the bluray player I choose affect sound quality or is that governed entirely by the receiver and speakers?

Thanks, Mnms.
    Hi MnMs.

Yes the Blu Ray player can affect the sound quality. There is a vast range of players on the market with different components used to manufacture them. However the amp and the speakers are the main part but there is no point spending good money on those bits of kit and sticking on a cheap Blu Ray player.  

Have you seen any players that catch your eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 phragmities

Phragmities,

apologies that we missed you post and many thanks for your PM to Kenny!

I think that the 2.5mm outputs may be a bit of a red herring in this setup ( I actually suspect that they may be 3.5mm - 2.5mm does exist but is really rare these days!) there are very few mid end AV 7.1 receivers in the price region of the 515 that will take a pre amp output (I'm actually struggling to think of one at the moment).

Your best option therefore would probably be to use the Optical output from your media server or of course the HDMI direct into the 515 and allow the 515 to process video & audio..

have a look at the spec of the £268 - Onkyo TXNR515 here: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr515/onky-txnr515-blk

The Onkyo will work really well with the Vector setup and of course you can use your excellent B2's as the fronts and use one of the pairs of Vector sats as you 'height / front effect' monitors..however I just cannot squeeze the 515 and the Vector 5.1 system in at the £450 budget - the very best we could do is £530 - and if your heart is set on the Vectors - I wouldn't wait too long as we are just receiving our last small shipment later this week....

Apologies again for keeping you waiting and please don't hesitate to contact me if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Cre
    Thanks for that,
    Yes you are correct of course 3.5mm is what it is and also from the little research I have done optical seems to be the simplest option for communication, the 3.5mm jacks are trrs for the sub and center!!!.
    I have just PMd Kenney (in reply) and am hoping you could reserve a Vector package for me! I will try to call or pm tomorrow there a couple of details I need to work out but I am interested in the Vector speaker package plus the 515 reciever.
    Apologies for this Im learning as I go :) I wasn't sure if there were issues with the impedance of the B2s vs the vector package. Or if they were an unsuitable matchup. 
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,
    Yes you are correct of course 3.5mm is what it is and also from the little research I have done optical seems to be the simplest option for communication, the 3.5mm jacks are trrs for the sub and center!!!.
    I have just PMd Kenney (in reply) and am hoping you could reserve a Vector package for me! I will try to call or pm tomorrow there a couple of details I need to work out but I am interested in the Vector speaker package plus the 515 reciever.
    Apologies for this Im learning as I go  I wasn't sure if there were issues with the impedance of the B2s vs the vector package. Or if they were an unsuitable matchup. 
    Thanks again
    No problem and I'll make sure that Kenny reserves a Vector pack for you - they are a cracking deal at £249.95..

If you want an Airplay option to the TSNR515 (and to save a few £) I also have Denon AVR1713 coming back into stock (just a few) at £229.95 which is a great sounding AV receiver (it's only 5.1 though..) (but you could use your spare pair of satellites in a separate zone??) 

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

Hi MnMs.

Yes the Blu Ray player can affect the sound quality. There is a vast range of players on the market with different components used to manufacture them. However the amp and the speakers are the main part but there is no point spending good money on those bits of kit and sticking on a cheap Blu Ray player.  

Have you seen any players that catch your eye?
    What would, for example, the Panasonic DMPBDT120 that you stock rate?

I have no need for extra features (wifi/3d etc.) with sound and picture quality the priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

The Panasonic 120 is a great little player and the sort of player that I would recommend for that type of system. One that I rate slightly higher is the Sony BDPS490 which is a great player and one that I have sold to a few friends who love them.

Hope this helps but keep us posted.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.