Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrying a gun in a public place?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

What is the law on carrying a gun in a public place. there doesn't seem to be much information in the garda commissioner guidelines on the subject.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll find the Act/SI shortly but it goes along the lines of a person carrying a gun/RIF/knife or other offence weapon in a public place without lawful authority or reasonsable excuse is guilty of an offence.

Meaning if you are out hunting, and stop for a pack of smokes on the way home. Leave the gun in the car. Bringing it in swinging it around, and generally causing concern to the public will have you locked up, and you gun taken from you.

If you need to walk to your shooting grounds the same thing applies. Use a carry slip, and have the gun secured. By that i mean a trigger lock on a shotgun or bolt & mag out for rifle. Personal choice as to what you do here, but the gun slip is a must. All it takes is for one person to call An Gardai, and complain and even if "nothing" happens it's unnecessary attention for an all to avoidable situation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ferreter wrote: »
    Why do people ask daft questions like that, wtf would you have to carry a gun in a public place for? Put it in the slip when your anywhere it might not seem right and take it out when your shooting, its simple...I dont understand all this crap about things like that, commonsense isnt that common

See how long it takes for ARU to come for you when you carry it in the local shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Yeah, sling up ye olde shotgun and stroll into the local pub for a pint. You'll soon meet a supervisor in the Garda and be informed of the appropriate guidelines, LOL. (Sorry, couldnt resist that.)

Sean, not to make fun of you as there is still no such thing as a dumb question - better to have an answer than get in trouble. I'm sure there is not much information as they probably assume you'll never do it :-) Rest assured even if it is legal to be transporting a gun, if you're seen bandying one about without a "slip" in a city or residential area, somebody will make a call and the Garda will (at the very least) have a chat with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

i cross from my front door to the 1st field, roughly 60 yards across the green of my housing estate, and only ever had problems once, from an anti.
    i got stopped twice by gaurds, with both times being for them to get a look at the gun.it was the time i had the pump action and the lads were amazed :D

as was already posted, its basically only if you can do it safely and without having people fearing you..e.g, walking up a back road (gun open and empty obviously) and/or dog under control.not thru the middle of town for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

djflawless wrote: »
    i cross from my front door to the 1st field, roughly 60 yards across the green of my housing estate, and only ever had problems once, from an anti.
    i got stopped twice by gaurds, with both times being for them to get a look at the gun.it was the time i had the pump action and the lads were amazed :D

as was already posted, its basically only if you can do it safely and without having people fearing you..e.g, walking up a back road (gun open and empty obviously) and/or dog under control.not thru the middle of town for the craic

I live in a housing estate too and was wondering if I could walk over to the fields around the corner less than a hundred yards away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I would suggest you not advertise you have guns. You cannot be sure your how sound your neighbours or their associates are. None of my neighbours I shoot. I back the jeep up to the front door and load it discretely. Even if I'm going to the fields whichs are only a few hundred yards away.

As for actual law... My take on it is that once you're on possesion of your cert. you can carry it in a public place. Problem is that like all law in Ireland, words like Reasonable and "intemperate habbits" come into it. So whilst you may not actually be convicted of an offence, the local super might deem walking down the main street for example with a gun, as an intemperate habbit and revoke you.

All of that said, if you must advertise your hobby to the whole estate, why not just use a slip then leave the slip under a tree or something til you get back. You'd be asking for trouble flashing the gun around IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Intemperate habits would be alcohol/drug abuse so unless you're walking down the road with the gun with a skinful of drink or cocaine in your pocket then intemperate habits won't be an issue.

Walking down a country road from a car to a field openly carrying a firearm and walking through a housing estate are two vastly different things...carry it in a case or slip if you must but whatver you do don't carry it openly.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Intemperate habbits I assumed are whatever the super deems. I stand corrected though. Call it what you will however Blay you are correct. If you go bringing it openly through an estate they'll find a name for it and it'll end badly for the licencee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Robotack wrote: »
    Intemperate habbits I assumed are whatever the super deems. I stand corrected though. Call it what you will however Blay you are correct. If you go bringing it openly through an estate they'll find a name for it and it'll end badly for the licencee.

I think they have the power to use their own discretion on a matter but intemperate habits is more about your personality..if you're a heavy drinker, drug user, known to have a violent temper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I know this will not apply to 99% of the people on here and obviously crossing a road between two fields your hunting in is one thing, but walking through a housing estate... Come on.

To the OP. Given the events that transpired to a colleague of mine last Friday night in Dundalk, carry a firearm in a public place and expect to get taken down, hard and fast.

Given the amount of money some of us plough into our gear, a gun slip is not an expensive item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be very wary showing off your hardware and the last person you need to worry about is anti's or the Gardai for that matter, it's the ordinary decent criminal that would be much more interested in relieving you of your pride and joy.

I have a gun slip, got it with the rifle. I was only asking to see if I could walk with the rifle instead of driving around to the fields. I never said I would carry it openly. I always have a bag with me and can roll it up an put it away when in the fields. Just wanted to see if I would get hassle walking from a to b carrying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I have a gun slip, got it with the rifle. I was only asking to see if I could walk with the rifle instead of driving around to the fields. I never said I would carry it openly. I always have a bag with me and can roll it up an put it away when in the fields. Just wanted to see if I would get hassle walking from a to b carrying it.

If it was in a slip then it should not be a problem, worst thing that could happen is checked to make sure you have a licence and since you do, happy days, enjoy :)

Most people would think it was a fishing rod. But as already said, a certan section of society may see you as an easy target.

[Quote=bravestar;829882But as already said, a certan section of society may see you as an easy target.[/Quote]

I have the house well secured with a monitored intruder alarm and the room the safe is in is alarmed 24hrs. It's a bit over the top but I live in a border town so you can never be too carefull. I know there is nothing you can do to make your home 100% secure but all we can do is make it as difficult as possible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

well in fairness, if i see someone walking anywhere in camo and wellys and more than likely with a gunbelt, obviously ill know their off for a shot..its the same for anyone.clueless people could tell it, doesnt matter if theres a slip.and if people would consider this unsafe, yer entitled to yer opinions.my safe is hidden, my house is monitored.i have my licence/gun club membership at all times, and never threatening, menacing, or under any influences.therefore not breaking laws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Might be a wee bit out of date with this, but we suffer from a slight contradiction, our fire arms must be covered while been carried in a public place but must not be concealed. Figure that one out.
    In my opinion the carrying of a firearm in a 'bag' (not a gun slip, case etc etc.....) could be deemed as concealed.
    Me and the Dad used to use a light cloth bag like those used with fishing rods that folded up neatly and fitted into pockets. Handy if you poped out on the road for any reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Might be a wee bit out of date with this, but we suffer from a slight contradiction, our fire arms must be covered while been carried in a public place but must not be concealed. Figure that one out.
    It would be down to intent. In my opinion a gun in a gun slip (or with some sort of covering on it), unloaded, made safe, etc. while on your shoulder when you are walking through a public area is not concealment. A gun, under a jacket (for example), ready to fire or loaded while walking through the same public area is.

Hard to define (or maybe just for me to), but i believe there is a difference.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cass wrote: »
    It would be down to intent. In my opinion a gun in a gun slip (or with some sort of covering on it), unloaded, made safe, etc. while on your shoulder when you are walking through a public area is not concealment. A gun, under a jacket (for example), ready to fire or loaded while walking through the same public area is.

Hard to define (or maybe just for me to), but i believe there is a difference.

I would agree with gun slips etc as you are not concealing the firearm only covering it as required by law. You are not concealing the fact that you are actually carrying a firearm.....a concealed 'weapon' is something that is not visible to another person while a gun in a slip is the appropriate way to carry a firearm either in certain shooting formats ie ranges or between drives or in public places.
    Here's a funny one for you, if I carry my service pistol under my smock, its considered a concealment and a no no, not just a matter of dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I live in a housing estate too and was wondering if I could walk over to the fields around the corner less than a hundred yards away.

I live on the edge of the city where the countryside starts so I walk through two estates to get to the fields.If I didn't have the car for some reason I'd try get a lift but failing that I'd use a slip(I try to keep the gun in line with my back as well,concealed as best I can).People usually think it's a fishing rod. Licence always on me as well with club membership and less than my limit of ammo.Answers ready for cops if they stop me.

Two times I was stopped and that was by the entrance to the field.Once by the ARU for a look off the rifle.They were sound.Another time by the local sergeant who I was dealing with for my first rifle(Just happened to be passing).Sound fella as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maxusman

I guess we can see a pattern here. Carrying a firearm in a built up area could get a Law abiding guy in trouble so be wise n cover up. By the way Sean Kudos to you for asking even if it might seem a silly question to some.

• Advertisement
Advertisement