Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Week Check?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

I went to my GP for the 6 week check for my baby...I'm wondering what they are meant to do for the 6 weeks....I felt fobbed off by gp more or less.

He checked the baby, height, weight...listened to his heartbeat, breathing, checked his bits, checked his hips and filled out the orange book and thats it. I thought that the gp would check mammy as well, like make sure the uterus is back in place, ask if everything was healed...something?

I even asked him if he needed to check me out and he said nope, that I could schedule myself for a smear in a few months and sent me on my way...:confused:

is that all he is meant to do for the 6 week check or is there more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I remember the 6 week check being for both mum and baby! I think you should insist because it's definitely one of the important ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think the nurse just checked my uterus to make sure it had reduced/gone back to ore pregnancy size. That's all I was checked for. It's quite a basic checkup for mum and baby really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Yes, it's a basic check but still important to make sure everything's back in place and healed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Go back and ask him to check that your uterus has gone back to pre pregnancy size/position. There's no check for healing, as far as I know, unless you had a c section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He should have checked that your uterus has gone back to normal. But other than that he just needs to check over baby and ask how mammy is getting on generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My GP checked everything had gone back to normal down below, checked the c-section scar, checked baby's weight, length, overall appearance, soft spot, did a few reflex type things and had a general chat about how I was getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I had a c-section & had nothing checked at the 6 week check up, baby was checked but I wasn't :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I had a c-section & had nothing checked at the 6 week check up, baby was checked but I wasn't :-(

I had same as lazygal and still had a "dissolvable " stitch hanging out which was like plastic and clearly never dissolving! She sorted that and felt size of uterus and checked I was coping ok etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

dublinlady wrote: »

I had same as lazygal and still had a "dissolvable " stitch hanging out which was like plastic and clearly never dissolving! She sorted that and felt size of uterus and checked I was coping ok etc

The last any medical personnel saw of my incision was the nurse that took out my staples before leaving the maternity hospital :O
    I've been lucky in that my incision healed really well, less than 10 months later the scar just looks like someone drew a line on my abdomen with a pink pen, it's bearly even raised. Just aswell really in hindsight seen as nobody except me was monitoring it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Yeah I remember being surprised that my GP didn't check me at all at either the 2 week or 6 week check. Didn't even ask how are you. I did have a 6 week check at the hospital though, they checked uterus position, BP, urine and then did a quick internal and had a look at where I'd had my stitches as I'd had a bad tear. Not sure if everyone got a 6 week check at the hospital or just those who had had issues with stitches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i got a full check up on my first, she went through everything from the letter from the hospital i must have been in there for an hour, less the second time, mostly about baby, but i had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

According to the HSE, your GP should give you a "routine postnatal check including a breast check....use this time to talk with your doctor about any questions or concerns you have about yourself or your baby" pg. 4

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/Caringforyourbaby%200-6Months%20pg1-22.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I had stitches and a tear and she just asked me did bit feel OK or had I any concerns about it and I said no. She didn't look at the battle ground site :)
    She felt my stomach on the outside , nothing internal, to see was my uterus gone back to normal size. I'm assuming that's the same as what every one else had when they say they had their uterus checked yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

What orange book did they fill out??

Advertisement