Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Was that Ben Gilroy giving a presentation at the Ramada hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Sully wrote: »
    Its not like any of these parties are stopping another party from forming. Again, it boils down to the electorate. We also had the PDs and the Greens.
    Voters can only choose from the parties that are there, when there are only bad parties to choose from we have to vote for someone dont we?
    Fianna Fail did a lot of good, so they are not completely bad eggs. I wouldn't suggest Fine Gael as being corrupt and they have fixed our economy in the past and are doing so currently. We vote on party policies and the large majority of them are implemented as indicated.

Sinn Feins terrorism connections haven't gone away and they are sticking with their own batch of bad eggs. They don't seem to want to shake that image. Their polices are woeful and not even costed by the Department. Their solution is "Take from the pension fund and implement a wealth tax" which clearly doesn't work. They are against austerity, property tax and water tax - but a few miles up North the party implements austerity much harsher than down here.

Its like walking into a shop with only 3 products on the shelf, mouldy bread, sour milk and and opened tin of beans. You'll pick the mouldy bread coz somewhere in the middle there might be an edible slice.
    As for what powers - democracy. You don't vote them in again when the election is back. People power does work - but Irish people never bother doing anything even during an election. The few times Irish people have mass protested its actually worked. There are always mini groups that protest and wonder "Why are we not heard?" but they don't have the majority support.

Not voting them in again is too little too late, by then they are half way through slashing and burning households finances, raising tax (in a round about way) and planning to implement even more debits from spendable income. Come march they will all be garaunteed nice big pensions, wheres the public pension fund gone? all with the citizens powerless to do anything about it except vote in more liars who will stay another minimum of two years until they are pensioned up again. Protests do nothing to hurt government, people protested in the south dublin counil and the gaurds assaulted them. Deterents, thats what our government believes in.

No choice, no power, no democracy. Its even worse in the dáil with that whip system. whats the point of having 165 TD's when only 30 odd percent have the balls to vote against?
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Was that Ben Gilroy giving a presentation at the Ramada hotel?
    It was.

Id like to get away from talking about other parties, i have my views on them.
    This thread is about the DDI meeting ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hijpo wrote: »
    Voters can only choose from the parties that are there, when there are only bad parties to choose from we have to vote for someone dont we?

The parties will change if they feel the electorate wont take their crap. You will never have a completely honest, transparent and party that everyone will be happy with. The smaller parties that tried to launch failed. People are happy with what we have.

Its like walking into a shop with only 3 products on the shelf, mouldy bread, sour milk and and opened tin of beans. You'll pick the mouldy bread coz somewhere in the middle there might be an edible slice.

In such an example, the people will demand something be done about it if they are unhappy. They wont go with the crappy products all the time, they will demand something else. If some other fresh product arrives on the scene, and people don't flock to it, than it shows people are happy with what they have.

Not voting them in again is too little too late, by then they are half way through slashing and burning households finances, raising tax (in a round about way) and planning to implement even more debits from spendable income. Come march they will all be garaunteed nice big pensions, wheres the public pension fund gone? all with the citizens powerless to do anything about it except vote in more liars who will stay another minimum of two years until they are pensioned up again. Protests do nothing to hurt government, people protested in the south dublin counil and the gaurds assaulted them. Deterents, thats what our government believes in.

The government isn't that bad. The country is doing pretty well and is recovering, slowly but surely. You will always have tax increases and cuts - there is no way to avoid it. I don't believe they are damaging our economy or our future and they are putting us on the road to recovery. Its more about the way they went about it people are unhappy with it. Their pensions were cut.
    No choice, no power, no democracy. Its even worse in the dáil with that whip system. whats the point of having 165 TD's when only 30 odd percent have the balls to vote against?

You voted in the parties in their policies. I agree the whip system needs reform but to allow a party that nobody really supports scupper the plans from the party everybody supports takes away from democracy IMO.

At the end of the day, the majority of people are not that annoyed and don't want the type of change you are pushing.

At the end of the day, the majority of people are not that annoyed and don't want the type of change you are pushing.

At the end of the day people give out about how the country is run, the political perks, the never ending doom and gloom, the wasted millions, the opposition who slam the other parties only to get in the driving seat and drive the car the exact same way and in the same breath say "Sure what can we do?", "We have no one else to vote for", "they are all the same".

I think the people are fed up, i think the people are crying out for change, i think the people would make changes IF they had the power to do so, but they dont. Your vote counts for nothing and the one time you do vote, you vote wrong, your made vote again.

Democracy, yeah.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

At the end of the day people give out about how the country is run, the political perks, the never ending doom and gloom, the wasted millions, the opposition who slam the other parties only to get in the driving seat and drive the car the exact same way and in the same breath say "Sure what can we do?", "We have no one else to vote for", "they are all the same".

I think the people are fed up, i think the people are crying out for change, i think the people would make changes IF they had the power to do so, but they dont. Your vote counts for nothing and the one time you do vote, you vote wrong, your made vote again.

Democracy, yeah.....

Indeed they do, but they have a choice to vote a different party - they don't. They have a chance to demand change - they don't. They have a chance to go onto the streets and peacefully protest - they don't (or they rarely do, or scumbags take over etc).

Direct Democracy wont be the answer. People don't engage or understand politics enough in Ireland. Referendums show how peoples voice can be so easily lead astray. :)

• Advertisement

Indeed they do, but they have a choice to vote a different party - they don't. They have a chance to demand change - they don't. They have a chance to go onto the streets and peacefully protest - they don't (or they rarely do, or scumbags take over etc).

Direct Democracy wont be the answer. People don't engage or understand politics enough in Ireland. Referendums show how peoples voice can be so easily lead astray. :)

Different car, same driving style evidence of this is noonan slamming the promissory notes saying they were robbing the poor to bail out the rich, he even went as far as saying it was, and i quote, an obscenity. What happen when he took over the driving seat?

We can demand all we like, we have no power to enforce change. This is the way politicians see it, say FG get voted out, they know in four years time when FF **** it up they will be put back in.

Protesting will also get you know where in this day and age, unless it hits the politicians pockets they couldnt give a ****. joan burton walked past a protest in the tower with a smile on her face, hogan stayed at home when he knew there was a protest at a water treatment plant.

Our opinions carry no weight and our votes carry even less.

If we had the power to recall any TD's that we feel are not performing or break promises then you would see change, but conveniently enough the citizens dont have that power.
    DDI reinstates that power.

Different car, same driving style evidence of this is noonan slamming the promissory notes saying they were robbing the poor to bail out the rich, he even went as far as saying it was, and i quote, an obscenity. What happen when he took over the driving seat?

Elect any other party, and it will be business as usual. They know they will get away with it and that the electorate wont do nothing.
    We can demand all we like, we have no power to enforce change. This is the way politicians see it, say FG get voted out, they know in four years time when FF **** it up they will be put back in.

Welcome to democracy. They have the power to vote out FF/FG in large numbers and protest demanding change. But they don't. Your complaining and wanting change but the majority of the people clearly do not see it your way.
    Protesting will also get you know where in this day and age, unless it hits the politicians pockets they couldnt give a ****. joan burton walked past a protest in the tower with a smile on her face, hogan stayed at home when he knew there was a protest at a water treatment plant.

That's not a protest! lol. That's a tiny group of eejits causing trouble. If it didn't bother them, Hogan would have showed up. Of course Joan was going to smile, she wasn't going to look sad and beg for forgiveness now was she?

As for protesting that made change, well it appears according to today's report we have dodged the bullet (for now) on the potential breakup of WRH thanks to protests. This government reversed the cuts to OAPs alarm following protest. The last government reversed plans to means test medical cards for OAPs following protests.

People people DOES work. Plenty of proof that protests made changes, right across the world.
    Our opinions carry no weight and our votes carry even less.

They clearly do, I have given two examples of where it has worked. There is only so much heat a government will take. Loads of examples of reversed policy following heat on TDs.
    If we had the power to recall any TD's that we feel are not performing or break promises then you would see change, but conveniently enough the citizens dont have that power.
    DDI reinstates that power.

That system wouldn't work. If that's the case, half the country wouldn't have a TD and Phil Hogan would remain in power.

Its the system that needs reform, and the Irish electorate, and not introducing a daft reform of how democracy works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Elect any other party, and it will be business as usual. They know they will get away with it and that the electorate wont do nothing.

Welcome to democracy. They have the power to vote out FF/FG in large numbers and protest demanding change. But they don't. Your complaining and wanting change but the majority of the people clearly do not see it your way.

That's not a protest! lol. That's a tiny group of eejits causing trouble. If it didn't bother them, Hogan would have showed up. Of course Joan was going to smile, she wasn't going to look sad and beg for forgiveness now was she?

As for protesting that made change, well it appears according to today's report we have dodged the bullet (for now) on the potential breakup of WRH thanks to protests. This government reversed the cuts to OAPs alarm following protest. The last government reversed plans to means test medical cards for OAPs following protests.

People people DOES work. Plenty of proof that protests made changes, right across the world.

They clearly do, I have given two examples of where it has worked. There is only so much heat a government will take. Loads of examples of reversed policy following heat on TDs.

That system wouldn't work. If that's the case, half the country wouldn't have a TD and Phil Hogan would remain in power.

Its the system that needs reform, and the Irish electorate, and not introducing a daft reform of how democracy works.
    Sully I checked there isn't a blue moon out tonight but I agree with you!
    The system we have is banjaxed no doubt about it,and people are stupid ,
    What should we do, lose PR ?
    I really have not a clue but I am becoming disillusioned and disinterested in it all which is wrong I know but when you see the electorate flip floping like a fish in a boat every couple of years......

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I really have not a clue but I am becoming disillusioned and disinterested in it all which is wrong I know but when you see the electorate flip floping like a fish in a boat every couple of years......

So whos it going to be next time FF/FG coalition?
    cant wait for that.

Not enough choice, not enough power to make change.

wellboytoo wrote: »

Put back on those rose tinted glasses :P

Education is key. I was heavily involved in student politics and they didn't give ****s who was in power or what damage it did. The SU / USI protests end up being a drinking session. Most people hadn't a clue how politics worked, who anybody was (mixing up UK leaders with Taoiseach etc).

That plus a reform of how we do politics within the Dail.

So whos it going to be next time FF/FG coalition?
    cant wait for that.

Not enough choice, not enough power to make change.

Plenty of choice over the years, people rejected them (remember the Greens/PDs?). We have choice, we have power.

You can't just replace the current system with a more lobby based system because the electorate couldn't be arsed. Your actually going from bad to worse - the electorate don't perform any better in referendums so DDI will end up being a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sinn Feins terrorism connections haven't gone away and they are sticking with their own batch of bad eggs. They don't seem to want to shake that image. Their polices are woeful and not even costed by the Department. Their solution is "Take from the pension fund and implement a wealth tax" which clearly doesn't work.

Bad eggs? And what would you call those clowns in power at the minute? Undermining our City Status, attempting to downgrade our hospital? And that's just in Waterford?

And how is this different to legalising an illegal gambling debt as FG/Lab have done? I'm no fan of the Shinners, but this current mob are such liars ("not one red cent"/"Labour's way" and other BS lies) I'd be prepared to give them a try. FF did some good? By bankrupting the country while appeasing banks and their PS cronies?

What is needed is a radical overhaul by an independent body. The signgs of how surreal Dail Eireann actually is was on display the night this "Government" sold this country out.

A bar open while the future of the country was being dismantled. Sweet Jesus. And boy did they show what they were when Pearse Doherty was speaking.

1. Number of TDs needs to be reduced to below 50. No need for four TDs in a county this size.

2. Slash their pay.

3. Slash their expenses.

When 2 & 3 are implemented they might actually be able to approach austerity with some degree of decorum. It beggars belief that - given what has occurred in this country in the past fortnight - that some people can still attempt to defend what has happened. Political parties before this nation. I will never - ever - understand it.

If the DDI principle is enforced we might stand a chance. But what you are now looking at is a possible FF/SF Government after the next election - for all FF's denials.

The smugness of that smiley face says it all. Don't bank on it. Stranger things have happened.

Put back on those rose tinted glasses :P

Education is key. I was heavily involved in student politics and they didn't give ****s who was in power or what damage it did. The SU / USI protests end up being a drinking session. Most people hadn't a clue how politics worked, who anybody was (mixing up UK leaders with Taoiseach etc).

That plus a reform of how we do politics within the Dail.

Plenty of choice over the years, people rejected them (remember the Greens/PDs?). We have choice, we have power.

You can't just replace the current system with a more lobby based system because the electorate couldn't be arsed. Your actually going from bad to worse - the electorate don't perform any better in referendums so DDI will end up being a disaster.

So you think that the people with all the power (its not us by the way) are going to change a system that benefits them completely? Thats even more absured than thinking people have a meaningful say on any of these moronic decisions, decisions that effect them the most and the crooks the least.

If people had more power to punish the politicians you wouldnt hear them making racist jokes (enda kenny) you wouldnt see them drunk on tv (cowan) you wouldnt witness them being condescending to a mother and her children (hogan) you wouldnt see corruption of them bumping clinics up a list with no explanation only to find out that it was benefiting one of there buddies (o rielly)

What can the people do? They obviously have the impression that nothing has an effect otherwise they would be doing something. In this day and age people shouldnt have to traipse up and down the quay to save a feckin hospital, likewise OAP alarms. This system gives the people more enforcment over the decisions that put them in difficulty. If you are so sure that half the country wouldnt have TD's if we could recall them then it shows how awful they are and how little power we have seen as they are all still in operation.

I think your of the opinion that if Direct democracy was implemented people would vote for abolishing all taxes and legalise heroin or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

If people had more power to punish the politicians you wouldnt hear them making racist jokes (enda kenny)

What!!! Enda Kenny racist. No way. I would not believe that for one minute.

Absolutely, article about it here ;):p

how insensitive can one man be eh?

Although that was 2002, hes probably changed :rolleyes:
    Just like his morals on taxing a families home :pac: :pac: :pac:

If people had more power to punish the politicians you wouldnt hear them making racist jokes (enda kenny) you wouldnt see them drunk on tv (cowan) you wouldnt witness them being condescending to a mother and her children (hogan) you wouldnt see corruption of them bumping clinics up a list with no explanation only to find out that it was benefiting one of there buddies (o rielly)

Jesus, you really take seriously enough to bring it to such a daft level. People had the power not to vote for any of the above named individuals - they did. People had the power not to vote for any of the above named individuals parties - they did.

People have the people. Fact. Get over it and just admit that the system is there and the people don't give two hoots. I'm amazed that you think these politicians are not answerable to anybody and can do what they like - you appear to have this mental block that we don't vote for a government every five or so years (and in cases where people and political pressure is applied, earlier).
    What can the people do? They obviously have the impression that nothing has an effect otherwise they would be doing something. In this day and age people shouldnt have to traipse up and down the quay to save a feckin hospital, likewise OAP alarms. This system gives the people more enforcment over the decisions that put them in difficulty. If you are so sure that half the country wouldnt have TD's if we could recall them then it shows how awful they are and how little power we have seen as they are all still in operation.

*facepalm* You have just proved my point - people are either to thick, lazy or couldn't be bothered when it comes to using their democratic right to make a vote. Anybody with a decent knowledge of politics knows the system is so daft that TDs are powerless as are Senators. Its not that they haven't the balls or couldn't be bothered - they don't actually have the power. Recall them, threaten to recall them - it won't make a difference unless the system changes.
    I think your of the opinion that if Direct democracy was implemented people would vote for abolishing all taxes and legalise heroin or something.

LOL.
    darkhorse wrote: »
    What!!! Enda Kenny racist. No way. I would not believe that for one minute.

Wasn't really considered a racist remark at the time, it was a storm in a tea cup and once it was noted possible offense was caused - an apology was issued and the world moved on. He has been one of very few well respected Taoiseach internationally.

Meanwhile, the opposition has a number of former terrorists and bomb makers in power and the OP doesn't see a problem.

I apologize for doubting you.

Jesus, you really take seriously enough to bring it to such a daft level. People had the power not to vote for any of the above named individuals - they did. People had the power not to vote for any of the above named individuals parties - they did.

People have the people. Fact. Get over it and just admit that the system is there and the people don't give two hoots. I'm amazed that you think these politicians are not answerable to anybody and can do what they like - you appear to have this mental block that we don't vote for a government every five or so years (and in cases where people and political pressure is applied, earlier).

The people didnt want FF in charge anymore, so they voted them out, the only ones we could vote for was the other two troops of monkeys. You think people wanted FG and Lab in charge? not at all, they just wanted FF out. The government is not answerable to anyone, who did bertie answer to? is he still getting the handy pension? what about cowen? are you going to tell me those farcical tribunals are all we have?
    *facepalm* You have just proved my point - people are either to thick, lazy or couldn't be bothered when it comes to using their democratic right to make a vote. Anybody with a decent knowledge of politics knows the system is so daft that TDs are powerless as are Senators. Its not that they haven't the balls or couldn't be bothered - they don't actually have the power. Recall them, threaten to recall them - it won't make a difference unless the system changes.
    keep face palming, you might knock some sense into yourself. If the TD's are powerless why is there 165 of them? Why doesnt the government cut the numbers and senators? because they are not going to screw themselfs, thats why. Enlighten me on how a citizen can use there democratic right to vote when the government decides what it is they vote on.

LOL.
    i laughed when i was thinking of it to :D

Wasn't really considered a racist remark at the time, it was a storm in a tea cup and once it was noted possible offense was caused - an apology was issued and the world moved on. He has been one of very few well respected Taoiseach internationally.
    If he had any kind of compassion he would not have made such a distasteful remark at ANY stage of his career. Anyone who extorts billions of euro and gives to the few would be respected by the few. You can be sure hes not well respected by the people hes taking the money from, unless your going to selectively ask a generation that has always voted FG and of course the people that have been raised by the generation that has always voted FG.

Meanwhile, the opposition has a number of former terrorists and bomb makers in power and the OP doesn't see a problem.
    Aaaannnndddnd i said i had no problem with terrorists where?

Jesus Christ.:rolleyes: Facepalm indeed. Jim Kemmy, Tony Gregory, Jackie Healy Rae, Michael Lowry, etc, etc. They didn't buy into a "system" like the drones who defend it.

They bought into their constituents.

As any TD can.

If he/she has the backbone and morals to do so.

• Advertisement

He has been one of very few well respected Taoiseach internationally.
    :D:D:D:D:D

And that would be Taoisigh.......

enda-kenny-nicolas-sarkozy-dimitris-christofias-2012-1-30-10-1-22.jpg

[QUOTE=Sully;83295420Wasn't really considered a racist remark at the time.[/QUOTE]

As someone that was'nt very well educated myself, on account of having to leave school young to get work, because we were very poor, (we were poorer than that) could you explain which part of this was'nt really considered a racist remark.

he said a Moroccan barman 'with shiny teeth' had been asked why a cocktail was called a 'Lumumba' and replied it was named after 'some ****** ( the assassinated first Prime Minister of Congo.)

Second waterford DDI Meeting tomorrow night at 8pm in the Ramada hotel. Close to, if not over 100 people at the last one.

Come one, come all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

a bigger venue may be a good idea, the last meeting was choc a bloc i liked the showing of the many broken "promises" presentation that were made by the current government , but i think as a now registered political party DDi need to get a proper party constuition in place before they start talking about our national one

I agree hoffmans, with close to 150 if not more attending the last one there is sure to be more this time round.

I also agree with your second point, having one aim of introducing article 47 and 48 seems a bit empty. however, the service is only 3 months old and i can see them adopting some of the great principles Switzerland have in operation to fix the immediate problems, then tweak them to suit what we want as a nation instead of a handful of idiots doing whatever the hell they like with little meaningful opposition.

Wasn't really considered a racist remark at the time, it was a storm in a tea cup.

The black people I know seemed to think it was. We have a local councillor who made some less insulting remarks to members of an etnic group, and there are a lot of people calling for his resignation.

darkhorse wrote: »
    The black people I know seemed to think it was. We have a local councillor who made some less insulting remarks to members of an etnic group, and there are a lot of people calling for his resignation.

Whereas black people I knew just shrugged it off and claimed the media made it worse than it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps it is before your time Sully, but you really shouldn't make such comments with former members of what was Official Sinn Fein as cabinet members. It had its own paramilitary wing, the Official IRA. But then that was probably before your time. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Perhaps it is before your time Sully, but you really shouldn't make such comments with former members of what was Official Sinn Fein as cabinet members. It had its own paramilitary wing, the Official IRA. But then that was probably before your time. :)

Regards...jmcc

Indeed it was, forgive me I didn't realise age restricted what one could comment on. Indeed I am also fully aware of Eamon Gilmore and others republican past but I don't personal believe it compares with some of Sinn Fein TDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Indeed it was, forgive me I didn't realise age restricted what one could comment on.
    It doesn't but it helps to have some knowledge of history.
    Indeed I am also fully aware of Eamon Gilmore and others republican past but I don't personal believe it compares with some of Sinn Fein TDs.
    Some. Not all. But you seem to be attempting to smear them all. It is somewhat ironic given that De Rossa served in Bruton's Rainbow coalition and he had been a member of IRA and served a prison sentence because of that. Even the roots of Fine Gael/Fianna Fail are embedded in armed conflict.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement