Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jmcc wrote: »
    It doesn't but it helps to have some knowledge of history.

Indeed it does and I am aware of certain TDs history and party history.
    Some. Not all. But you seem to be attempting to smear them all. It is somewhat ironic given that De Rossa served in Bruton's Rainbow coalition and he had been a member of IRA and served a prison sentence because of that. Even the roots of Fine Gael/Fianna Fail are embedded in armed conflict.

Regards...jmcc

Which is exactly what I said - some. I am also aware of the history of Fine Gael and its armed conflict past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Indeed it was, forgive me I didn't realise age restricted what one could comment on.

No, knowledge of the subject at hand usually helps.😜

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    No, knowledge of the subject at hand usually helps.��

Thanks for the words of encouragement 7up. When I saw your name appear in thread, I was sure I wasn't going to be reading a post from you that would be well throughout out and show a clear level of knowledge of the subject. An all around constructive post, ya know? I wasn't mistaken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

is this the same ben gilroy that thinks Sean Quinn (of anglo 10 fame) was hard done by?? are DDI really going to put forward a candidate that supports the questionable behaviour of the quinns, who were UP TO THEIR EYEBALLS in what went on in Anglo Irish Bank?? The same bank that helped to wreck our economy!!!

DDI are a joke....no policies, no answers, no shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

is this the same ben gilroy that thinks Sean Quinn (of anglo 10 fame) was hard done by?? are DDI really going to put forward a candidate that supports the questionable behaviour of the quinns, who were UP TO THEIR EYEBALLS in what went on in Anglo Irish Bank?? The same bank that helped to wreck our economy!!!

DDI are a joke....no policies, no answers, no shame!!

Thats his opinion, what bearing does that have on you or me? are all the people who showed support for quinn a joke with no shame?

Ben Gilroy has his opinions, i have mine, you have yours and so on. Ben Gilroy is not here to force his opinions on anyone in anyway alot unlike the party whip system currently in place in the Dáil, which will more than likely never ever change. DDI brings with it the right to call referendum (power to you) and the right to recall a TD is he/she acting the bollox(more power to you), DDI does not have a party whip system so opinions are taken into account and voted on accordingly (fair, transparent democracy in favour of you).

It is far far far away from the corrupt system currently in use that you and many others probably bitch about that day after day. Now you have an opportunity to get away from all that false democracy, yet you still dont want to know about it. Why? because of one name.
    Silly and childish attitude.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

do you kow what the DDI position/policy is re the Croke Park Agreement??? THEY DONT HAVE ONE!!!!
    And they expect people to take them seriously???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you kow what the DDI position/policy is re the Croke Park Agreement??? THEY DONT HAVE ONE!!!!

Public sector employee are you?

DDI aim to utilise our natural resources for our benefit not corporate profits like statoil, they also aim to halt all payments regarding the odious debt pending a legal review. The less debts, waste, and the more income from our natural respources the less need for increased taxes, new taxes and immoral cuts which only seem to effect the average to low income household.

You forget this party is 4 months old, if you want in depth analysis and opinions on every issue you will have to wait. Please remember the next general election is years away, DDI will have no impact on the CPA as it will be inacted well before DDI get there chance to contend it. Can you see a reason of drawing up a policy on the CPA if your not going to have any say in the matter? unless you want change straight away? Im afraid thats not going to happen, atleast not influenced by the citizens anyway, they have that route well and truely blocked.

Out of interest whats your take on the CPA? What would you like to see change in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

is this the same ben gilroy that thinks Sean Quinn (of anglo 10 fame) was hard done by??

He probably just read this story and decided that maybe the government were'nt being on the level with us. I personally don't remember the goverment tell the truth about anything since they got into power, exept to tell europe that we, the irish, will not default on others peoples debt.

The Systematic Plundering Of Sean Quinn: People Of Ireland ...

Or maybe he decided that some of what noonan said was the truth.

Interviewed on radio, Michael Noonan explained that the European Central Bank agreed to the Anglo financing deal because it was slightly less illegal than the existing promissory note arrangement.

Thats a government minister . Thats on record.

i dont even know where to start with this....it's ok for ddi to have no position articulated on the croke park agreement because they are not in power??!! and you expect to be taken seriously??

what is the ddi position on corportation tax?? what's the position on closing the public deficit by decreased spending as opposed to increased taxation??

funny that mr gilroy has taken a position on sean quinn before the law has taken its course!!??

p.s. remind me again how much extra we all pay on our insurance policies as a direct result of the actions of sean quinn and his family??? what is the position of DDI on this little matter???!!

p.s. remind me again how much extra we all pay on our insurance policies as a direct result of the actions of sean quinn and his family??? what is the position of DDI on this little matter???!!

Sorry, you made a wee mistake there. That should read AS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE ACTIONS OF THE GOVERNMENT TAKING OVER ANGLO IRISH BANK. THE QUINNS DID'NT BORROW MONEY FROM THE TAXPAYER.

• Advertisement

do you actually understand what happened at all?? Quinn went into administration and this the cost to EVERYBODY with an insurance policy...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/insurance-customers-must-pay-levy-for-20-years-26882041.html

do you actually understand what happened at all??

Yep, I do. Do you?

i dont even know where to start with this....it's ok for ddi to have no position articulated on the croke park agreement because they are not in power??!! and you expect to be taken seriously??

what is the ddi position on corportation tax?? what's the position on closing the public deficit by decreased spending as opposed to increased taxation??

funny that mr gilroy has taken a position on sean quinn before the law has taken its course!!??

You missed my point entirely, DDI drawing up a policy on the CPA is like you drawing up a policy on the NASA Space Program. The CPA will be signed, sealed and deliverd with no input from anyone only the government and some union men. Say this CPA is passed, you think DDI should have a policy on it so they can scrap this governments CPA and go back to square one with talks and more unrest to impose there own policy?
    Efficient i think not.

However 4 months into a campaign i think that setting foundations and base policies like opinions on our resources, the odious debt, giving people more of a say with there vote, basicly everything that impacts the country and the people as a whole instead of focusing on one sector. This shows the ability to set priorities.
    Now take the government at the moment, scraping mobility allowance instead of scraping the dry cleaning allowance for TD's and ministers? what kind of priorities are they? christ all mighty its a disgrace.

With the limited resources the party has so early in its life they are setting priorities the right way. They lack the financial support, contacts and man power the bigger parties get not to mention labour getting a percentage of your union fees, do you support labour? no? why are you financing them then?

I believe DDI's position would be to decrease non essential spending before increasing taxes which will put people in more jeopardy. To simplify it for you, if your running a €400 deficit in your house it would be better to stop smoking 40 a day to get expenditure to a manageable level before taking pocket money from the kids, right?

To reiterate, once again, a point. When we secure our natural resources and collect an income from these resources, instead of shell and statoil reaping all the rewards, the need for increased taxes and massive decreases in spending wont be as severe.

With regards corporation tax, that will probably have to be kept in line with the UK so as not to risk industrial suicide.
    do you actually understand what happened at all?? Quinn went into administration and this the cost to EVERYBODY with an insurance policy...

Which would be you, me, ben girloy etc etc

This happend, not under ben gilroys watch, but under the watch of buffoons which complete disregard for the public, yet you would rather slate a man for sympathizing with quinn and how the family was dealt with?
    Fact of the matter is, back in the day if our government left our constitution the way it was meant to be instead of securing there positions then Quinn and all his banking buddys would not have had there debts incurred on us. DDI want to give that power back to the public, you Smiley Burnett can call for a referendum to axe the insurance levie that pays quinns debts, but youd probably rather moan about it.

So to reiterate my points over and over again, DDI is more concerned about the peoples position on these matters with an aim to give the people the right to exercise there positions on these matters. Yet people, just like yourself, dont see this big huge picture and only want to know what DDI's position is on the matter. I dont blame you really, its hard to accept that you could be allowed express your opinion after living through lies, deception and a nanny state for so long.
    lmao
    are you serious? have you not just done the exact same thing?
    The only thing ben gilroy has done is expressed a difference in opinion.

Their position on the Croke Park Agreement, Smiley, in a nutshell, is that they want you and I to have the power through refrerendum to make important decisions, whether it be croke park, giving away natural resourses, or even raising dail budgets when our country is in dire financial straits, ie broke, instead of just a handfull of men trusted to make such decisions of gigantic financial importance, some of which could and already have impacted on the lives of people like you and me. What dia think?

Christ. How do you guys expect to be taken seriously when you are running a candidate for the Dail who has a completely different interpretation on the law under the Freeman Guide and when you don't believe in having policies because the government have their own approach?

The whole idea of having a political party is to say to the people;
    "Hey! See that idea that those eejits are implementing? Vote for us and we would do it different."

Instead your saying;
    "Hey! See that idea that those eejits are implementing? Vote for us and while we have no idea what we will do in power, at least your not voting for those eejits. Right?!"

DDI spun themselves here as a completely different type of political system. Yet, you want to be elected into a current political system and operate under a system you disagree with. That in itself is bizarre. Your actually offering nothing because you don't have political policies, which is even more bizarre, and then you go and have candidates who have a completely different stranger interpretation of the law which can get people in trouble and not an "Ah, victory!" approach because your wrong.

Christ, as even we don't have enough loonies in our political system at the moment.

Christ. How do you guys expect to be taken seriously when you are running a candidate for the Dail who has a completely different interpretation on the law under the Freeman Guide and when you don't believe in having policies because the government have their own approach?

I actually yawned when i read the first paragraph rolleyes.png
    same nonsence argument thats been spouted by supporters of other parties over and over, its been defended, people have moved on, after a few posts they think its been forgotten that it was coverd and they bring it up again.
    Anything origional in there lads no?
    The whole idea of having a political party is to say to the people;
    "Hey! See that idea that those eejits are implementing? Vote for us and we would do it different."

Instead your saying;
    "Hey! See that idea that those eejits are implementing? Vote for us and while we have no idea what we will do in power, at least your not voting for those eejits. Right?!"

DDI spun themselves here as a completely different type of political system. Yet, you want to be elected into a current political system and operate under a system you disagree with. That in itself is bizarre. Your actually offering nothing because you don't have political policies, which is even more bizarre, and then you go and have candidates who have a completely different stranger interpretation of the law which can get people in trouble and not an "Ah, victory!" approach because your wrong.

Christ, as even we don't have enough loonies in our political system at the moment.

DDI ARE doing it different, the whole point of Direct Democracy is that it is a different political system where people are free to have there own views and act accordingly. How do you suppose this is not different than the party whip system in place now?
    Where have you seen DDI's strange interpretation of the law? link please
    The policies that DDI stand by are core policies, anything after that requires substancial debating, something that a 4 month old party is only in the process of doing.

So thats Ben Gilroy coverd and defended, DDI's apparent lack of policies coverd and defended, DDI's apparent support for gung ho freeman laws coverd and defended.

Time for something new now lads.

i include this link for your benefit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ftpBg6Xr04A

So what if people pointing out the obvious support other parties? The vast majority of this country support other parties bar DDI. That doesn't mean that a new political party has potential to do well in this country and attract voters from other parties. Are you alienating people because they supported other parties? You need those votes, you do realise?

The defense being put forward by DDI supporters is that they don't need policies because they wont be in a position to implement any - that makes no sense. They also state their candidates can do what they like, spout freeman nonsense and portray an incorrect interpretation of the law because they are doing it in their personal capacity.

What an odd party. That's exactly what you are when you look for votes. "Vote for me. We don't believe in this system, but heck, vote for me anyway!"

I thought DDI was supposed to be a campaigning group. Not a group of people looking to jump on the Dail gravy train claiming the fancy wages and expenses, sitting pretty in the back benches offering nothing constructive and not dealing with reality and facts. You can't even attack government policy because you can't offer an alternative. Your hardly going to sit in the Dail and shout "This system sucks. I demand Direct Democracy. That is all."

So what if people pointing out the obvious support other parties? The vast majority of this country support other parties bar DDI. That doesn't mean that a new political party has potential to do well in this country and attract voters from other parties. Are you alienating people because they supported other parties? You need those votes, you do realise?
    Ill correct myself, support was too general a word, involved maybe better.
    The defense being put forward by DDI supporters is that they don't need policies because they wont be in a position to implement any - that makes no sense. They also state their candidates can do what they like, spout freeman nonsense and portray an incorrect interpretation of the law because they are doing it in their personal capacity.

Who said we dont need policies? I just said policies take time to construct, given its such a short space of time since they became a party im sure they prioritized policy according to A) what can get the country back to a stable opperating position financially B) allows the people to have more say on issues that effect them
    What an odd party. That's exactly what you are when you look for votes. "Vote for me. We don't believe in this system, but heck, vote for me anyway!"

I thought DDI was supposed to be a campaigning group. Not a group of people looking to jump on the Dail gravy train claiming the fancy wages and expenses, sitting pretty in the back benches offering nothing constructive and not dealing with reality and facts. You can't even attack government policy because you can't offer an alternative. Your hardly going to sit in the Dail and shout "This system sucks. I demand Direct Democracy. That is all."

What DDI is saying is, we dont beleive in this system, it doesnt work democratically for the benefit of the people, its closer to fascism than it is democratic. Do you disagree with these observations? Do you think the current system works well?

Do you ever give out about the false manifestos the current parties dream up to win over votes?
    Child benefit will not be touched ring any bells? How about "not another red cent"?

How much government policy is actually implemented and is working well?
    Its easy dish out policies to get you votes as we have seen, however direct democracy forces truthful policies to be drawn up and adhered to.

If there is a gravy train in the Dáil then DDI give you the opportunity to call a referendum to adjust the pay schemes and perks.

You seem to be either very reluctant or genuinly cant grap the fact that all you see wrong with DDI, DDI actually gives you the power to fix it.

We are the loonies for taking every bit of crap that we are being fed by this government.

A question for ya. You are in a big electrical or furniture shop. There's a guy at the counter who just bought a couple of thousand euros worth of goods. He says to the shop assistant, This gentleman(you) will pay my bill, and walks out of the shop. Are you going to pay it? That's the position the government put us in.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Ill correct myself, support was too general a word, involved maybe better.

Freudian slip? ;)
    Who said we dont need policies? I just said policies take time to construct, given its such a short space of time since they became a party im sure they prioritized policy according to A) what can get the country back to a stable opperating position financially B) allows the people to have more say on issues that effect them

It doesn't reflect well if you wont take time to construct basic policies and solutions, rather than jumping into the position with nothing to offer.
    What DDI is saying is, we dont beleive in this system, it doesnt work democratically for the benefit of the people, its closer to fascism than it is democratic. Do you disagree with these observations? Do you think the current system works well?

The system we have for democracy is fine. When people were asked to directly influence policy by way of a vote, they used it as a political football or didn't bother voting at all. In general, most people don't bother voting.
    Do you ever give out about the false manifestos the current parties dream up to win over votes?
    Child benefit will not be touched ring any bells? How about "not another red cent"?

Yup, I do.
    How much government policy is actually implemented and is working well?
    Its easy dish out policies to get you votes as we have seen, however direct democracy forces truthful policies to be drawn up and adhered to.

I don't think current government policy was being dished out to get votes. if that was their intention, they are doing it very baldy.

As for what policies are working - if their economic policies were failing we would have a much bigger unemployment rate for a start, increasing rapidly. We wouldn't have thousands of jobs being created a year by businesses, especially the bigger businesses like Google and Paypal. If their policies were so bad, we wouldn't be set for an exit of our bailout programme. Our return to the markets would be laughed at.

Most people are just pissed off that the wave of "honesty, transparency, political reform and a new way of doing politics" bull**** that was spread pre-election wasn't carried fully.
    If there is a gravy train in the Dáil then DDI give you the opportunity to call a referendum to adjust the pay schemes and perks.

I'm aware of what DDI has the potential of doing. But the system of people directly influencing the vote has been hijacked by people outside of Ireland trying to influence the vote. Political parties here and abroad spreading mistruths and lies about what was being asked and the impact of a Yes vote. People bought it. A lot of people also didn't bother voting in referendums or elections. A lot of people use referendums to express frustration with the government.

The DDI model would be a disaster. Those calling for DDI are the type of people who would hijack and demand referendums, spreading mistruths and bull****. Freemason nonsense.
    You seem to be either very reluctant or genuinly cant grap the fact that all you see wrong with DDI, DDI actually gives you the power to fix it.

I see what's wrong with DDI and the group running the DDI campaign/political party. I understand the potential positives which on paper are fantastic but in reality are a disaster.
    darkhorse wrote: »
    We are the loonies for taking every bit of crap that we are being fed by this government.

So you are calling what, half the electorate or so, loonies? Great way to win votes. First, if you support other political parties your given the two fingers. Then, it appears you are loony for supporting them and reminded of the two fingers. Finally, DDI want to be elected to a system they want to change and offer nothing. Just get the wages and expenses.

What a disaster. If your our only hope for political change, god help us.
    A question for ya. You are in a big electrical or furniture shop. There's a guy at the counter who just bought a couple of thousand euros worth of goods. He says to the shop assistant, This gentleman(you) will pay my bill, and walks out of the shop. Are you going to pay it? That's the position the government put us in.

That's not the same position the Irish people are in, so its a bad comparison.

• Advertisement

It doesn't reflect well if you wont take time to construct basic policies and solutions, rather than jumping into the position with nothing to offer.

You are of the opinion that the policies that face us are basic? Why is it only recently that the childrens referendum was held? Abortion is still on going after all these years etc etc The only thing that seems basic policy is extorting money from people already taxed to the brink.
    The system we have for democracy is fine. When people were asked to directly influence policy by way of a vote, they used it as a political football or didn't bother voting at all. In general, most people don't bother voting.
    Its already been done to death why people vote the way they do and why people dont vote at all. People vote for names they know, generation after generation vote for the same names over and over, some even ask there neighbour "who you votin for, i havent a clue", the people who dont vote dont see the point as there vote is for the same old empty promisses as before. DDI does away with those opinions because 1) they get an opportunity to display there views through there vote and 2) if TD's dont stick to the promises they used to get into office they can be recalled leading to TD's setting realistic policies as opposed to can only be described as selling points. You know all this already sully.
    I don't think current government policy was being dished out to get votes. if that was their intention, they are doing it very baldy.

As for what policies are working - if their economic policies were failing we would have a much bigger unemployment rate for a start, increasing rapidly. We wouldn't have thousands of jobs being created a year by businesses, especially the bigger businesses like Google and Paypal. If their policies were so bad, we wouldn't be set for an exit of our bailout programme. Our return to the markets would be laughed at.
    Where are the majority of jobs being created sully? There are more counties in ireland than Dublin, Cork and kilkenny. What about unemployment rates in your own home county? taxing your way out of recession does not work, it might clear a debt but what about your ecenomy?
    Most people are just pissed off that the wave of "honesty, transparency, political reform and a new way of doing politics" bull**** that was spread pre-election wasn't carried fully.

yeah and so they should be, where is the honesty? where is the transparency? where is the reform?
    I'm aware of what DDI has the potential of doing. But the system of people directly influencing the vote has been hijacked by people outside of Ireland trying to influence the vote. Political parties here and abroad spreading mistruths and lies about what was being asked and the impact of a Yes vote. People bought it. A lot of people also didn't bother voting in referendums or elections. A lot of people use referendums to express frustration with the government.
    So who will they express frustration with when voting on issues that effect themselves? they will vote in frustration with themselves sully will they?
    The DDI model would be a disaster. Those calling for DDI are the type of people who would hijack and demand referendums, spreading mistruths and bull****. Freemason nonsense.

lmao 112500 people with the same vested interest to call a referendum? and then a further few million to pass it? not to mention the prevision that a certain number must vote for the motion to be passed.

"Disaster" i remember Noonan standing in the Dáil and using that word along with "obscenity" to discribe Lennihans agreements to bail out the banks rolleyes.png
    I see what's wrong with DDI and the group running the DDI campaign/political party. I understand the potential positives which on paper are fantastic but in reality are a disaster.

You can see all thats wrong with DDI, but you cant see the ever increasing wrongs being commited by the current government and system. Sully, and to think i had you pegged as a man of intellect :P
    So you are calling what, half the electorate or so, loonies? Great way to win votes. First, if you support other political parties your given the two fingers. Then, it appears you are loony for supporting them and reminded of the two fingers. Finally, DDI want to be elected to a system they want to change and offer nothing. Just get the wages and expenses.

What a disaster. If your our only hope for political change, god help us.

Theres so many twists and knots to darkhorses words its like a shoe lace a 2 year old had a go at tying.

That's not the same position the Irish people are in, so its a bad comparison.

the principle is much the same, you and I are paying for someone elses private debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

You know I was rooting for ben gilroy in the by election-now I think I will now root for the workers party canditate-from looking at their website again recently they still have no list of policies or where they stand on particular issues the answer to everything seems to be let the people decide-I have said before Im in favour of a direct democracy style system but to certain degree- can I ask ddi supporters what is your thoughts and views on the 2009 referendum in switzerland to ban the building of any new minarets? A lot of people might say myself included such referendums like that being allowed to be held- minority groups are left vulnerable to be singled out for discrimination- if we were to implement a direct democracy system here how would ddi ensure direct democracy couldnt be abused to to hold referendums on issues that would effect minority groups?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/29/switzerland.minaret.referendum/index.html

Am Chile wrote: »
    You know I was rooting for ben gilroy in the by election-now I think I will now root for the workers party canditate-from looking at their website again recently they still have no list of policies or where they stand on particular issues the answer to everything seems to be let the people decide-I have said before Im in favour of a direct democracy style system but to certain degree- can I ask ddi supporters what is your thoughts and views on the 2009 referendum in switzerland to ban the building of any new minarets? A lot of people might say myself included such referendums like that being allowed to be held- minority groups are left vulnerable to be singled out for discrimination- if we were to implement a direct democracy system here how would ddi ensure direct democracy couldnt be abused to to hold referendums on issues that would effect minority groups?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/29/switzerland.minaret.referendum/index.html

How long is the workers party an established party again?
    Lets just copy and paste other parties policies eh?
    How soon do you expect DDI to get to a position of influence?

Personaly i wouldnt have a problem with minarets thats not to say my neighbour wouldnt. Thats democracy, i would rather be able to express a view wether i liked minarets or not, before someone decides to build a tower down the road wether i like it or not. If 55% of the people think minarets are cool so be it, atleast it was done in a fair way instead of being imposed on me without my opinion.

Would building a minaret in a place where there is so many different religions provoke the rath of an extremist from a rival religion?

And just to add, how many of the workers party policies do see as being achievable and how many do you think they will strive to adhere to? Who are they accountable to for not implementing these policies? what happens if they decide to back the government in everything they decide to do (probably inevitable so as not to rock the boat) like the rest and so forth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

How long is the workers party an established party again?
    Lets just copy and paste other parties policies eh?
    How soon do you expect DDI to get to a position of influence?

Personaly i wouldnt have a problem with minarets thats not to say my neighbour wouldnt. Thats democracy, i would rather be able to express a view wether i liked minarets or not, before someone decides to build a tower down the road wether i like it or not. If 55% of the people think minarets are cool so be it, atleast it was done in a fair way instead of being imposed on me without my opinion.

Would building a minaret in a place where there is so many different religions provoke the rath of an extremist from a rival religion?

One could argue building minarets may provoke a reaction from some people-looking to the uk there are many mosques and minerats-the main people who object to them are the english defence league-using the referendum to ban minerants in switzerland wasnt to get a discussion on minerats but more so as an example of how direct democracy without limits can be used to single out minority groups in society-back around 2005 or 2006 one local authority house in one estate in waterford where an Immigrant family were due to be housed was burned out before they could be moved in- graffiti was spray painted that Immigrants were wanted in the area-if under a direct democracy system; for people that would hold those type of anti immigrant views what if they were to petition in order to call for a referendum on where people should be housed and the petitions were to get enough signatures in order for a referendum on who can and cant be housed in areas-would you agree and concur with my view that people shouldnt be allowed to vote on such issues that would single out and discriminate against other sectors of society?

yes and provisions can be put in place to deal with such acts. Like no referendum can be called on an issue that promotes segregation or rascism??

What would happen if Hogan decided in the morning that no caravans were allowed into kilkenny. No one has any way of opposing such an idea, its an extreme situation i know but there is literally no provisions for us to contend any of there decisions.

You are of the opinion that the policies that face us are basic? Why is it only recently that the childrens referendum was held? Abortion is still on going after all these years etc etc The only thing that seems basic policy is extorting money from people already taxed to the brink.

I'm talking about basic policies in terms of "standard" and not in terms of the easier solutions. The most common issues facing us today. DDI candidates offer nothing. The Childrens Referendum was held as part of a commitment by this government to hold it as soon as possible and it did so. I have no idea why other governments avoided it. But, it was an example of 'direct democracy' and what, half the people didn't bother voting on such an important personal issue? The abortion issue is a hot potato that this government is taking on and you have big divide and a lot of anger about how to approach it, which I suspect is why successive governments dodged it.

Neither of the above being delayed had anything to do with screwing the people financially.

Its already been done to death why people vote the way they do and why people dont vote at all. People vote for names they know, generation after generation vote for the same names over and over, some even ask there neighbour "who you votin for, i havent a clue", the people who dont vote dont see the point as there vote is for the same old empty promisses as before. DDI does away with those opinions because 1) they get an opportunity to display there views through there vote and 2) if TD's dont stick to the promises they used to get into office they can be recalled leading to TD's setting realistic policies as opposed to can only be described as selling points. You know all this already sully.

I'm talking about referendums where Jonny Fox in Mallow has nothing to do with it. I know how general elections tend to go and I know that many of the younger generation don't give a toss.
    Where are the majority of jobs being created sully? There are more counties in ireland than Dublin, Cork and kilkenny. What about unemployment rates in your own home county? taxing your way out of recession does not work, it might clear a debt but what about your ecenomy?

Indeed there are more counties, but its not up to the government to force companies to locate in Waterford, Wexford, Limerick and so on. The government have, however, turned their attention to the unemployment black spots and done their best to try get jobs for these areas and inject investment in (which they have in Waterford).
    yeah and so they should be, where is the honesty? where is the transparency? where is the reform?

You missed my point.
    So who will they express frustration with when voting on issues that effect themselves? they will vote in frustration with themselves sully will they?

Your asking as if its a question that there is no answer out there for. But we already have many examples of issues that impact the electorate and they didn't vote or take it seriously.
    lmao 112500 people with the same vested interest to call a referendum? and then a further few million to pass it? not to mention the prevision that a certain number must vote for the motion to be passed.

Didn't know DDI had that large a following, congratulations! The election should be a walk in the park for you guys in the referendum so I congratulate you in advance and look forward to your contributions, whatever your planning on contributing, in the Dail.
    "Disaster" i remember Noonan standing in the Dáil and using that word along with "obscenity" to discribe Lennihans agreements to bail out the banks rolleyes.png]

The same Minister now ending the guarantee.
    You can see all thats wrong with DDI, but you cant see the ever increasing wrongs being commited by the current government and system. Sully, and to think i had you pegged as a man of intellect :P

I actually did, but you seemed to have missed the point I made and went off on a different tangent. I guess you should be looking at your own intellect. :)

[qupte]Theres so many twists and knots to darkhorses words its like a shoe lace a 2 year old had a go at tying.[/quote]

Interesting defense.
    the principle is much the same, you and I are paying for someone elses private debt.

Completely different situation. We are not a consumer of Ireland Inc.

Yet, you want to be elected into a current political system and operate under a system you disagree with. Your actually offering nothing because you don't have political policies.

You keep saying that they dont have any policies. Is that just because you dont want to read their policies?

What are DDI’s policies?

DDI intends, if elected, to do the following:
    1. Call a referendum on a constitutional amendment to Bunreacht na hEireann to re-introduce provisions for direct democracy.
      More Information Please see the Frequently Asked Questions

2. Launch a full independent, international legal review of the bailout, which we hold to be an odious debt and illegal under international law.
      More Information DDI believe that under international law and the Lisbon treaty bailouts are illegal. It is illegal for a government to sell the birthright of a nation. The bailout is also unconstitutional under Bunreacht na hEireann article 6 which states:All powers of government, legislative, executive and
      judicial, derive, under God, from the people, whose right
      it is to designate the rulers of the State and, in final appeal,
      to decide all questions of national policy, according to
      the requirements of the common good
      .Since the bailout the Irish people have been forced into a disastrous situation financially, socially, personally, which is clearly not according to the requirements of the common good.DDI intend to legally challenge the bailout on the above points and on any other legal points discovered in the process of review.

3. Suspend all payments relating to the bailout, capital and interest, pending the results of the legal review.
    4. Halt the sale of state assets. Any contracts signed or sales completed in relation to state assets since the bailout will be treated as part of the original odious debt and fully investigated.
    5. Launch a legal review of the transfer of €1 billion of assets from AIB balance sheets to the private pension fund of AIB staff.
    6. Launch a legal review of the use of state assets where irregularities or corruption are suspected.
      More Information Ireland is rich in natural resources. Much of these natural resources are being given away literally for nothing via contracts signed by amongst others an ex-minister subsequently convicted of fraud. DDI will launch a full, independent, transparent legal review of any and all such contracts.

7. Halt all repossessions and evictions in Ireland pending personal debt renegotiations between lending institutions and citizens.
      More Information In November 2012 Spanish banks agreed to halt evictions of those in dire circumstances for two years, due mostly to protests and eviction resistance. Spanish Economy Minister Luis de Guindos said his government aimed “to introduce measures that ensure that no family acting in good faith will end up homeless because of the crisis. That is the commitment.”Direct Democracy Ireland will similarly insist on a halt to evictions in Ireland to ensure that no Irish person acting in good faith will be made homeless, for a number of reasons.Firstly, this crisis has been caused by the banks. If the banks hadn’t destroyed the economy people would be able to pay their mortgages and wouldn’t be defaulting. The Irish people bailed the banks out with billions of euros. The banks were supposed to write down mortgages but still have not, and the banks are now making Irish people homeless. This is unacceptable, and it is very plain to see now that the banks will not compromise and that the Irish people are being appallingly treated by the banks.Secondly, it is unconstitutional. Bunreacht na hEireann article 40.5 states:The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not
      be forcibly entered save in accordance with law.
      Nobody, at all, is permitted to enter an Irish person’s dwelling without either the permission of the occupant or a warrant.
      Irish people suffered the trauma of eviction for hundreds of years and eviction is a massive psychological scar on the Irish people. That we have returned to the same situation again after supposedly gaining our independence and freedom is unacceptable.
      Furthermore, it is apparent that there has been massive fraud involved in many mortgages. DDI will work with and support any groups investigating illegality in this area and working to bring the banks to account in this matter.
      DDI do not support people getting ‘something for nothing’ or people refusing to pay their mortgages ‘to get a free house’. DDI recognise that in part this may be occurring. However, DDI further recognise that the vast majority of people in mortgage difficulties are in genuine financial difficulties and that they acted in good faith based on a booming economy, ‘expert’ advice and predatory lending practices in the banks to buy houses which are now a millstone around their necks threatening to destroy them and their families, and hence the very fabric of Irish society. This situation needs to be addressed and DDI intend, with the help of The Irish People, to address it.
      Bunreacht na hEireann article 41.1.1, literal Irish translation, states:
      The State acknowledges that the Family is the basic primary
      group-unit of/for society according to nature, and that it
      is a moral institution which has inalienable invincible rights
      which are more ancient and higher than any human statute.

Bunreacht na hEireann doesn’t mention banks at all.
      The family is the primary unit of society and is therefore the most important aspect of Irish society. The banking sector is making Irish families homeless and causing Irish people, parents of children, to commit suicide. Therefore the banking sector and their practices regarding defaulting mortgage holders are unconstitutional and will be addressed to determine a solution which prioritises Irish people. DDI are not advocating that people do not pay their debts, but that payment arrangements must be adjusted to suit the reality in which Irish people now find themselves while releasing them from the pressures leading to depression, evictions and suicide.
      Ireland is The Irish People. The Irish People take priority over banks.

8. Support and assist in the development of a collaborative consultation process in communities nationwide to examine and discuss issues facing communities, regions and the state. Work with groups engaged in this process to create a nationwide mechanism of proposal generation via which the wishes of the people of Ireland will be determined and communicated directly to government to be implemented via direct democracy.
      More Information Please see Rollout of DDI. (link to Rollout section)

9. Review all sectors of local and national government via the national consultative process and Implement any and all necessary reform determined by the review process.
      More Information Government, local and national, is dysfunctional and needs to be reformed. DDI recognise this and intend to make the review and reform process a national one whereby the Irish people examine their own affairs and decide on what action is necessary to create the governance of their choosing.Bunreacht na hEireann article 6:All powers of government, legislative, executive and
      judicial, derive, under God, from the people, whose right
      it is to designate the rulers of the State and, in final appeal,
      to decide all questions of national policy, according to
      the requirements of the common good.
      Ireland belongs to The Irish People, whose right it is to decide how they are governed and what happens in the state. The Irish People are dissatisfied in the extreme with how they are governed at present and with most of the decisions of national policy being made in their name. These things need to be rectified, and they need to be rectified by The Irish People, together.

10. Review all sectors of the economy, local and national, via the national consultative process and implement any and all necessary reforms determined by the review process.
      More Information
    Knock yerself out.

Am Chile wrote: »
    can I ask ddi supporters what is your thoughts and views on the 2009 referendum in switzerland to ban the building of any new minarets?

Daniel Ammann: The Real Reasons Why the Swiss Voted to Ban ...

For all the propaganda spouting and castigating of DDI above, for most people they have a simple ethos. Change this gravy train of "Government" from within. Even those with limited intelligence will appreciate that to change a system you must enter it. Like reformatting a corrupt hard drive.

And that is what is wrong with this political system. It is corrupt. To the core. Nepotism, cronyism, etc. Regardless of who's in power. And answerable to no-one.

Have DDI all the answers? Hell, no. But I hope they get a chance to introduce true democracy to this country - and dump the ****e that is Leinster House, and what it contains. All they will need is one chance. Let's give it to them.

Gas to see the usual suspects above defending the indefensible, as soon as even a glimmer of an alternative to the gombeen men is produced. They're more to be pitied really.

• Advertisement

What an odd party.

An odd party would be one who's leader said it was immoral to tax people's homes - then went and did it anyway. Odd doesn't even begin to describe it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement