Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged wrong Price

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

A quick question. I ordered a product which was built up for me and delivered to my home. Initialy I was quoted 1000e and asked to pay half on deposit and remaining half on delivery. They only took 400 for a deposit. I thought that they will then charge me 600 on delivery. Delivery took place and I gave them my credit card to pay the balance of 600. They only debited 400. So I didn't say anything and took my receipt thinking its my lucky day. 3 weeks later they calling me saying they made a mistake and I owe them the balance. Question is am I legaly obliged to pay them the 200e balance which they made a mistake of not charging me for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yes, they quoted you the price at time of purchase, you knew exactly how much it would cost. They have your credit card details anyway and will take payment as per agreed price so do the decent thing. Also, if not paid for in full, you might have difficulty with the warranty should something go wrong with your €1k custom made item.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DubiousDude

davo10 wrote: »
    Yes, they quoted you the price at time of purchase, you knew exactly how much it would cost.

I agree I knew how much it would cost and I know the right thing to do is to pay the difference. My main question though is am I legally obliged to pay the difference? Just as when something is marked a certain price and the customer knows the price is incorrect the shop is still obliged to sell it at the advertised price. I know know my example is slightly different but would this not be an error on behalf of the seller? I know what is morally correct here but lets put that aside for now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unless you have a receipt which says "paid in full", then you are liable for the rest of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I agree I knew how much it would cost and I know the right thing to do is to pay the difference. My main question though is am I legally obliged to pay the difference? Just as when something is marked a certain price and the customer knows the price is incorrect the shop is still obliged to sell it at the advertised price. I know know my example is slightly different but would this not be an error on behalf of the seller? I know what is morally correct here but lets put that aside for now. Thanks

No seller is obliged to sell at the price on display. They can get in trouble for having an incorrect price on display but they don't have to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Just as when something is marked a certain price and the customer knows the price is incorrect the shop is still obliged to sell it at the advertised price.
    not true

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just as when something is marked a certain price and the customer knows the price is incorrect the shop is still obliged to sell it at the advertised price.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. The shop is under no obligation to sell to you at the incorrect price.

Advertisement