Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is DEBIT STAMP DUTY on my account?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭

I have a current account with AIB and yesterday €5 came out as "Debit Stamp Duty".

I have never seen this before on my account, only the quarterly fees would be similar, but these came out as usual just before Christmas.

Anyone know what this might have been for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's the annual government stamp duty for having a Visa Debit card. It's 2.50, and another 2.50 if you have ever used it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It's Government stamp duty on your ATM/Debit card, I got hit with it too. It's 20 euro on credit cards if I remember correctly.
    Just another stealth tax:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So did it only come in this last year?

Never seen it before on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Are you with AIB/BOI by any chance?

If you only got the Visa Debit this year chances are the tax for Laser was less

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope, it's been around for many years now.
    It's Government stamp duty on your ATM/Debit card, I got hit with it too. It's 20 euro on credit cards if I remember correctly.

€30 for credit cards.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Are you with AIB/BOI by any chance?

If you only got the Visa Debit this year chances are the tax for Laser was less

Laser or Visa debit, the stamp duty is exactly the same.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Never seen it before on my account.

I've been charged it every year I've had my bank account, and that's since 1997. Not sure when it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe it was always there and I just didn't notice it.

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

In the good times most people didn't read our bank statements, now most of us have to and It's scary.

Next step is to check what standing orders and direct debits are authorised and scrap all the redundant ones. I found an insurance policy that I barely remembered taking out 10 years earlier, I thought it was only authorised for 6 months but they kept taking the payments every 3 months. I missed it for 9 1/2 years because I only checked some of my monthly statements and the odds of it being a month they took it out were not in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Have a joint account and got charged it twice ;o(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe it was always there and I just didn't notice it.

Cheers all.

That's why people call it a stealth tax :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It was mainly to replace the stamp duty they lost when people moved away from checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It's the annual government stamp duty for having a Visa Debit card. It's 2.50, and another 2.50 if you have ever used it online.

€2.50 for point of sale and €2.50 for ATM.

Advertisement