Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano....

• 31-01-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Im looking to do the first grades in piano.
    What can i expect to learn? or where do i start? will theory be part of it or separate from the grades?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Hello! First, congrats on wanting to do the piano! An amazingly rewarding instrument.

At grade one, you can expect to do three things in your exam (depends on the rewarding body you chose, but mostly the same):

1. Scales and arpeggios. Basically these are exercises to get you used to the pianos main technical playing aspects. At grade one, they are easy enough, and not too many of them. They are added exponentially throughout the grades.

2. The main body of your exam! The pieces! Usually 3 pieces, of varying styles. At grade one, they are usually purpose composed pieces, and are not too bad on the ear.

3. The aural and theory part. Usually a small chunk of the exam, but I would personally consider this to be the most important aspect musically. So, while practicing the piano is important, don't neglect this, as it's easy to do so! Basically, you will have to answer some theory questions (very easy), maybe do some rhythm sight clapping, and probably some sight singing (not daunting AT ALL, seriously, I'm grade 8 and a TERRIBLE singer! :) ). Finally, you'll have to do some sight reading on the piano (a small unseen piece).

All in all, it means, YES you must learn how to read. It's ridiculously easy to read music though, so you'll have no trouble.

Go for it! Get a teacher and just start. Piano is SO rewarding. Teaches you to be creative and also disciplined. Plus it's great for showing off. :pac:

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roy22

hello qiute new here will someone would tell me something about piano witch i bought yesterday nearly for free, Just cleaned someone haus. Mechanicly look preaty good. Refubrished paint cleaned, mechanicly working fine, just small workup done. Pianos details HOFFMANN c&spd 497 ed 1359 on hammer mechanism Manufactured Mancolm@ co London 23934 .Sorry if distraubed this post. Thanks for any clue or opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roy22

my piano in action after i tuned myself:
    http://w103.wrzuta.pl/film/65LqoMst5S1/piano_nagrane

a tis program i used for tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZMzfk7hOA

Advertisement