Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission to quote?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I see this
    NOTE..No person, organisation or group has any authorisation to quote,use or otherwise display any of my posts here on either printed,web pages or other means of communications,without my EXPRESS WRITTEN PREMISSION.Any violations will be prosecuted to the full extent possible under Irish law.

My posts here reflect my own personal opinion or experiances.They are not qualified legal advice or suggestions to take a particular course of action.
    They are for information,educational or entertainment purposes only!
    as someones signature.

Rubbish?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I see this
    as someones signature.
    Rubbish?
    If he says "hello" to you on the street you'd better not tell us. You could be in trouble for quoting him!

I see this
    as someones signature.
    Rubbish?
    If he says "hello" to you on the street you'd better not tell us. You could be in trouble for quoting him!

I see this
    as someones signature.
    Rubbish?

Who is it ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Could you please report that sig so I can take appropriate measures. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is that not in a round about way a legal threat against boards and therefore a banable offence. That's my view of it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Zaph wrote: »
    Could you please report that sig so I can take appropriate measures. Thanks.
    Done.

ken wrote: »
    Is that not in a round about way a legal threat against boards and therefore a banable offence. That's my view of it anyway.

I had considered that, but I'm taking the lenient view for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Zaph wrote: »
    I had considered that, but I'm taking the lenient view for the time being.
    If Gordon was here he'd ban him/her. Your going soft in your old age Zaph.:D

ken wrote: »
    If Gordon was here he'd ban him/her. Your going soft in your old age Zaph.:D

/hangs head in shame :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I can see the logic of it to be fair, might be missing one key phrase though to keep it kosher.
    NOTE..No person, organisation or group has any authorisation to quote,use or otherwise display any of my posts here on either printed,web pagesother than boards.ie or other means of communications,without my EXPRESS WRITTEN PREMISSION.Any violations will be prosecuted to the full extent possible under Irish law.

My posts here reflect my own personal opinion or experiances.They are not qualified legal advice or suggestions to take a particular course of action.
    They are for information,educational or entertainment purposes only!

I can see the sig holder being wary of having his/her posts being published out of context on other sites/papers etc. Now if this disclaimer would hold up in court is another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought the same as P_1 and that it was a sort of "don't take my advice and then start complaining that it didn't work" or blame Boards.

And don't ban him, he could end up prosecuting you to the full extent of Irish law :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is that one of the guys who had a post lifted verbatim and published in a red top rag as the journalists own writing? I don't think this is a prevention of quoting on thread more aimed at plagiarism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

P_1 wrote: »
    I can see the logic of it to be fair, might be missing one key phrase though to keep it kosher.

I can see the sig holder being wary of having his/her posts being published out of context on other sites/papers etc. Now if this disclaimer would hold up in court is another matter...

You don't need the disclaimer tbh. If it's as I mentioned in my last post then the simple fact that he wrote his own words gives him copyright on them. The disclaimer is unnecessary. I a post of mine was printed in a newspaper I could bill them for standard rates or sue them for plagiarism. It's the same principle of them publishing someone's photo without their permission. There have been plenty of cases of photographers billing newspapers and them paying up.

I wonder if something like that is covered under the terms of use here?

Can you sue/bill a newspaper for plagiarism if they copy a post you made here word for word in one of their editions?

Could be Sherlock's Law working in our favour for once ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sounds just like a two-fingers to the newspaper group. It's more or less exactly the preposterous announcement they came out with recently about linking to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And the Internet Darwin award goes to... :D

I remember a time when someone with such a sig would be hung, drawn, converted to an integer, and spread so far across the interweb that they could never post anywhere again with any iota of credence.

How times have changed.

Hope they were banned as it's a clear violation of site T&C. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Steve wrote: »
    And the Internet Darwin award goes to... :D

I remember a time when someone with such a sig would be hung, drawn, converted to an integer, and spread so far across the interweb that they could never post anywhere again with any iota of credence.

How times have changed.

Hope they were banned as it's a clear violation of site T&C. :D

How is it against the T&C? Just wondering!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

PC CDROM wrote: »
    How is it against the T&C? Just wondering!
    Technically, part of the T&C of posting here is that boards, as a publisher, can serve what you say on the internet.

Just like when you quoted my post, I inherently gave boards the right to display it and you the right to quote it as part of the deal of being a contributor here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Steve wrote: »
    Technically, part of the T&C of posting here is that boards, as a publisher, can serve what you say on the internet.

Just like when you quoted my post, I inherently gave boards the right to display it and you the right to quote it as part of the deal of being a contributor here. :)

Thanks for the answer! But could we be used in a book because of the T&C's?

No problem being quoted here etc but wouldn't like to see my posts in a book or newspaper!

• Advertisement

No clue there mate..

Personally, I'd be thrilled if someone wrote a book about me.... or even if I had a cameo appearance in someone else's.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like an open and shut case of 'out of control ego'.

What's the official line on this?

Is anything that is posted fair game or do posters have any sort of control over what happens to their posts after they've been posted.

The reason I ask is that there's some anecdotal evidence of some rugby journalists plagiarizing some posts over on the rugby forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

P_1 wrote: »
    What's the official line on this?

Is anything that is posted fair game or do posters have any sort of control over what happens to their posts after they've been posted.

The reason I ask is that there's some anecdotal evidence of some rugby journalists plagiarizing some posts over on the rugby forum.
    Ben Dunnes Consumer section in the Sun of a Saturday robs most of it's stuff from the Consumer Issues Forum, it's fair game.

Dav has a post about it here somewhere.

Ben Dunnes Consumer section in the Sun of a Saturday robs most of it's stuff from the Consumer Issues Forum, it's fair game.
    Dav has a post about it here somewhere.
    Why not meet fire with fire, and post up the totality of the offending organs? Death notices filched from papers would be most useful to many.

feargale wrote: »
    Why not meet fire with fire, and post up the totality of the offending organs? Death notices filched from papers would be most useful to many.

Well we have the rules about being only able to quote a paragraph in place, surely the same rule should apply to the newspapers?

Advertisement