Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windowns 7 - Fast download, slow upload speed via UPC 50mb broadband

• 31-01-2013 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me with this as I’m literally losing sleep over it at this stage!!

The issue is my download speeds are very fast but my upload speeds are very slow and are impacting me using Skype or logging onto work from home.

I’m using UPC 50mb broadband. My laptop is loaded with windows 7 64bit with 8gb of RAM and an i7 2.5ghz processor.

When I use the speed test facility on UPC I get on average about 40- 50 mbph for downloads wireless but it takes forever to start a upload test and either gives back an error or something small .3mb.

I almost certain at this stage that this is not an issue with my broadband as I have tested this on an old laptop using windowns xp and I’m getting a good upload and download speed.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Have you tried a speed test via a wired connection to the UPC modem? Don't forget to turn the wireless off on the laptop when doing this test.

That should rule out if it's the wireless adapter in your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Could also be your anti-virus/firewall impacting the upload speed - disable it too and try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Have you got the latest drivers for your wireless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭markg86

Yakuza wrote: »
    Have you got the latest drivers for your wireless card?

where can I get these?

Could also be your anti-virus/firewall impacting the upload speed - disable it too and try

Yeah tried turning off all firewalls that didnt help, but didnt total uninstall mcafee maybe I should try this.

• Advertisement

I forgot to say that in the university the speed tests run prefect both download and upload.

Did you try a wired speed test yet? How did that go?

What AV do you have? McAfee is a b*tch for causing these sort of issues.

Have you tried a speed test via a wired connection to the UPC modem? Don't forget to turn the wireless off on the laptop when doing this test.

That should rule out if it's the wireless adapter in your laptop.

Yes Im getting perfect speeds when wired, 50down/5up

Just on the wireless upload speed never greater than .5mb and takes forever to produce that.

so annoying my girlfriend lives in London, and cant skype. Spending an absolute fortune on calls ha

Did you try a wired speed test yet? How did that go?

What AV do you have? McAfee is a b*tch for causing these sort of issues.

Yeah I have mcafee,, should I uninstall and try? Plus I only recently got it, just before xmas, as I got it free in PC world when purchasing a laptop as a present. before that I used avast free version, seemed fine no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

markg86 wrote: »
    where can I get these?
    The best way is to go the website of the manufacturer, there usually should be a link there to download the latest set of drivers for your card. Running Windows Update on your machine might pick them up as well.

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    The best way is to go the website of the manufacturer, there usually should be a link there to download the latest set of drivers for your card. Running Windows Update on your machine might pick them up as well.

Cool il try this this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

I had the same problem until I updated the driver for my wireless card. Worked fine after.
    You should find the driver on your laptops manufacturers website

randel wrote: »
    I had the same problem until I updated the driver for my wireless card. Worked fine after.
    You should find the driver on your laptops manufacturers website

Just updated didnt help unfortunately think they were all up to date anyway.

Kind of at a loss now,, UPC have call out and basically said it was nothing from there end. It definitely is my laptop. but it was ran fine a few weeks ago then this problem started very strange.

Thinking if I buy a new router online it might solve the issue?

Do you have a local copy of McAfee? If so, uninstall/remove it completely, make sure to restart the laptop afterwards and then give the speed test another try. Remember to re-install McAfee after your tests. ;)

As I say, I've seen this before and McAfee was the culprit. An update came down that borked the wireless. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it's worth investigating.

Advertisement