Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student living with first years??

Options
  • 31-01-2013 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I wanted to put this here to gauge responses from other mature students. I'm just finished filling out the CAO forms and will be sending off the supporting documents tomorrow.

I am thinking about moving into student accommodation next year as I will not know anyone in college and as I am in my late 20's, getting to know other first years who will undoubtedly be in their late teens will be hard at best. I can put a deposit down and get most of it back if I pull out by the second week in July so I think I will go ahead with the deposit and have a few months to mull it over and hopefully get some responses here.

My heavy teenage drinking days are behind me, I think :confused:. I am a little worried about what living with a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds will be like. I assume large volumes of alcohol, loud music and the like will be mostly what would be going on, which I am not totally opposed to but as I said, a little anxious.

Yes student accommodation costs a fortune and what I mentioned above might get a little annoying after a while but I am thinking that perhaps the positives will outweigh the negatives. Getting to know other first years should be pretty straight forward even for me, I'm not the most social of creatures :D. And I assume living with first years will not get boring at any stage so that might be a positive too

So what do you guys think??
    Anybody else thinking along the same lines??
    Anyone else actually go down this road before??

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daniel.D

im not a mature student but my friends live with a woman the same age as you, my friends are 17. 18, 20 and two are 21. she has a lovely time with them. yeah they drink sometimes but they never fall out. The older woman acts like the mum for them all. She keeps them in line but not by being bossy but by talking ot them like they are equals (a bit). That way they dont think shes trying to control them just show she has wisdom. She dosnt get nosy in everything just makes sure they dont let the house fall on top of them lol. I always go to athlone and she doesnt me crashing there for like 4 days in a row haha but i respect her because she aacts her age but has fun with them. im 19 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe look to live with post graduate students or contact the college and ask if you could be grouped with mature students?

Advertisement