Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best rain gear?

• 31-01-2013 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

What do people think is the best brand rain gear? Lots of chances to test it at the moment :D
    I use Flexothane, find it good, lasts about a year, around €50 for a coat.
    I know there are dearer brands, has anyone tried them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

pms7 wrote: »
    What do people think is the best brand rain gear? Lots of chances to test it at the moment :D
    I use Flexothane, find it good, lasts about a year, around €50 for a coat.
    I know there are dearer brands, has anyone tried them?

I use flexothane and find it good, anything cheaper isn't worth the money thats paid for it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Honestly I haven't put on any of them where I've come out as dry as when I first put them on!! I don't even expect them to keep me dry anymore, more to keep the sh*t off the jeans, and even then they won't keep out the smell of silage, let alone the rain!!!

I have the flexothane pull ups and leggings. Had a good heavy one of their jackets too, but the back just melted off it after a few months!

As already said, if you get a year out of any of them, your doing well.

P.S. None of them like barbed wire.... apparently!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wouldn't ya think the government would bring out some sort of 'uniform allowance', just for farmers? A dry farmer is a happy farmer and all that :p It could help boost morale in the agri sector!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Flexothane trousers aren't welder spark resistant, there might be a hole or two in them when finished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Yes, I have tried two different brands. All Flexothane material with double seam and welded( suppose to be anyway) One of the brands was very poor, letting water in around the knee areas and the shoulders of the jacket certainly was not waterproof. I dont mind paying good money for something that works but got no satisfaction from the supplier only saying .... ah we ll look after you the next time but obviously there was no next time.
    But the first one was excellent, very apprehensive about spending alot more money on the gear over buying at the local store
    But boy did it last ,It still is going , not what it was like but acts as a spare wheel. :D:D. It must be 5 years old at this stage unlike the second purchase at two years old is only .....?
    They can sweat inside especially at the back but they do keep the water out and I reckon I have given them all a good test.
    PS they also dont like welding and angle grinder sparks, there tends to be a little hole with a bit of smoke !!:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

If you're gonna be actively working in the wet, breathable gear (North Face, Berghaus etc) with the correct layers underneath, fleece, man made fibres, wool/thermal layer underneath if it's cold too - no cotton, it holds on to sweat, sticks to you, then you get cold because the heat leaves your skin through the wet cold cotton. You're going to get wet two ways, sweating from working, which flexothane won't let OUT, or wet from the rain coming in. The breathable stuff I wouldn't describe as completely waterproof, but it'll dry out quick and let sweat out. Once you're kept warm is the main thing.

Different story if you're out but not physically working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I've started to wear this as i no longer need it for the hurling, it does really keep you warm in the cold mornings but isn't great when it comes to lots of manual work as it does keep the sweat in - also helps to tuck in the spread around the middle and think i still look like a youngfella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭pms7

joejobrien wrote: »
    Yes, I have tried two different brands. All Flexothane material with double seam and welded( suppose to be anyway) One of the brands was very poor, letting water in around the knee areas and the shoulders of the jacket certainly was not waterproof. I dont mind paying good money for something that works but got no satisfaction from the supplier only saying .... ah we ll look after you the next time but obviously there was no next time.
    But the first one was excellent, very apprehensive about spending alot more money on the gear over buying at the local store
    But boy did it last ,It still is going , not what it was like but acts as a spare wheel. :D:D. It must be 5 years old at this stage unlike the second purchase at two years old is only .....?
    They can sweat inside especially at the back but they do keep the water out and I reckon I have given them all a good test.
    PS they also dont like welding and angle grinder sparks, there tends to be a little hole with a bit of smoke !!:D:D:D:D:D

Can you put names on those Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I use the Guy Cotton fisherman trousers and a flexothane coat. The guy cotton trousers are heavy duty and gave braces up over the shoulder. Have them 3 years, I think they were 80 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Agree, it depends on whether you are doing light or heavy work. I use the Portwest heavy type waterproof leggings when doing the dirty jobs like yard cleaning or calving a cow. You will sweat in them, so take off when the dirty jobs are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Jackets with Goretex is the job for rain. Boots lined with it too. Not sure about trousers or leggings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

pms7 wrote: »
    Can you put names on those Joe?
    the first purchase was sealflex. the zip was a bigger and coarse type which manged the dirt much better unlike the next purchase was a ORINGI . small zip which clogged much more easily although ther is velcro on each with press studs. The oringi press stud came off on one side rendering that part useless:mad:
    There wont be a second set bought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

have used the helly hansen fishing waterproof bib trouser and jacket myself and their absolutely brillant,
    its a heavy texture pvc material but good,
    like this
    http://mammothworkwear.com/helly-hansen-workwear/helly-hansen-waterproof-jackets/helly-hansen-stavanger-fishermans-jacket-p1893.htm

Advertisement