Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulhuddart Cemetary closed on Sundays.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Isn't it to stop people going in to have sex in their cars?!

550444_401450976612184_728416476_n.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

An unfortunately placed ad there, January...

Closing on a Sunday sounds ridiculous though, surely that is a day when most people would go visit a loved ones grave? Especially in winter months when it is dark in the evenings during the week.

Yup, I thought that myself about the ad.

Bit ridiculous that they are closed Sunday too but I agree with them closing in the night time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

To be honest, I would expect them to be closed at night anyway. I wonder does the place have a caretaker as such or is it just people from the council take care of it as well as lots of other things, parks, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sunday is the only day I think that the bloke in the van selling flowers is there too. He's going to have to switch to Saturdays and hope people go there instead then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Patrick Nulty was tweeting about it last night.
    http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1652

Seems bloody stupid anyone know who we email about this to lodge a complaint?

According to FingalCoCo.ie:
    Useful Numbers
    If you have any queries related to cemeteries in Fingal County Council please use the following numbers;
    Blanchardstown Office : 870 4449

(There were other numbers for other areas).

I don't see a point in it. If its to stop people having sex in cars, then don't allows cars in, put a bollard up. There is enough space outside for a fair few cars.

Has to be one of the most ridiculous decisions made be the council in recent times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Perhaps it's not about dogging or anything else, but about cutting costs? If it's closed then they dont have to pay anyone to be there.

According to the article Morag posted, it is a staffing issue.
    Morag wrote: »
    Patrick Nulty was tweeting about it last night.
    http://www.patricknulty.ie/?p=1652

Seems bloody stupid anyone know who we email about this to lodge a complaint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

You're all very welcome for me bringing this to your attention. ;)

Now with added (Sinn Féin) Facebook group :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/MulhuddartCemetrey

(Yes, they did spell 'cemetery' incorrectly in their vanity URL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do people believe that dogging story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do people believe that dogging story ?
    Why would we not?...there are lots of places around the country where it goes on.

fletch wrote: »
    Why would we not?...there are lots of places around the country where it goes on.

And if you know of any, keep me posted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

1a480a34d84a475805a295c835480da7.png?1359645739

Yep, all the local reps have posted the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There are websites for that, boards.ie is not one of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Have they? Not so sure Chuck. :D

Arciphel wrote: »
    Have they? Not so sure Chuck. :D

Absolutely 100% :D sure I have them all on my FB :D

the fact is, NONE of them resolved it. The council took the decision themselves based on representation. no Representative makes a decision for the council, the council makes their own decision, hence the original decision.

Nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fletch wrote: »

Yes, in pretty isolated areas. That's not isolated, traffic is pretty busy and plenty of people walk through the field across from the layby. The Go Safe van is regularly parked there too.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yes, in pretty isolated areas. That's not isolated, traffic is pretty busy and plenty of people walk through the field across from the layby. The Go Safe van is regularly parked there too.

The problem was people were driving INTO the cemetery, not parking outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just saw the following response about Mulhuddart Cemetery from Fingal County Council on Joan Burton's website http://www.joanburton.ie/dublin-west-issues/mulhuddart-cemetery

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely preposterous that a cemetery would be closed on a Sunday of all days - that is the day when many people would visit the graves of their loved ones.

And that local rag article about "gay cruising" was like something right out of the 1970s. Shame on them!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Based on the reply from Fingal, http://www.joanburton.ie/dublin-west-issues/mulhuddart-cemetery it was the Cemetery car park that they had wished to close.

The Council themselves then compounded the confusion by putting up a poorly worded notice on the Cemetery gates, which led people to believe it was the actual Cemetery itself been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

It used to be always that way, closed in the evenings, which is much better.

As some of you maybe aware, access to vehicles is to be prevented on Sundays at Mulhuddart Cemetery.

The decision has not been reversed but put on hold until the next council management meeting.

The access is being restricted due to previous anti-social behavior but closing it to all vehicles on Sundays is the nuclear option. Sundays are the most popular visiting day and the decision is badly judged.

If you would like to help prevent the closure, can I ask you to consider this petition below.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/986/087/406/keep-sunday-access-at-mulhuddart-cemetery-please-like-and-share/

Appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Merged

Gaspode wrote: »
    Merged

Thanks Gaspode, I only copped my original thread after posting it - early morning :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement