Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to an "Asian" store

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Gauge wrote: »
    - Kaya (Coconut Jam)

Kaya on toasted white pan is my idea of breakfast in heaven:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Gauge wrote: »
    Which shop/where do you find the peanut butter oreos and chocolate pretzels? I do all my shopping in the Asian market but I've never been able to find these!

I've gotten these ones (but with Chinese writing on the pack) in the Asia Market on Drury Street in Dublin

oreo-double-delight.jpg

They also had strawberry ones. This was a couple of months back though, haven't been biscuit shopping in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Twee. wrote: »
    Next time I'm going to pick up some wonton sheets/wrappers to make pot stickers, steamed dumplings. I saw them on the Food Network and they looked so delicious!
    Go for the ones marked 'gyoza skins/wrappers', they're thinner than the wonton ones.

Then go to youtube and search the Cooking with Dog channel for Gyoza. Absolutely, 100%, by far the best gyoza recipe out there. Exactly like the ones you buy in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've gotten these ones (but with Chinese writing on the pack) in the Asia Market on Drury Street in Dublin

oreo-double-delight.jpg

They also had strawberry ones. This was a couple of months back though, haven't been biscuit shopping in a while

Yum, thank you! I'm guessing if these are in stock they'll be in the snack aisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Rice noodles or other non-wheat noodles.

Chili bean paste - great addition to stir-fries.

Sichuan peppercorns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Fishballs and fishcakes from the fridge section are great additions to a simple side accompaniment.
    Slice them and add into stir-fries along with beansprouts and matchstick carrots and leeks or spring onion, with a tiny bit of oyster sauce.
    Or any veg of your choice.

Another thing I'd normally do with them is boil them in stock, toss, and serve with hoi sin dip and sriracha. A bit like steamboat dish (which I sorely miss :()

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

kylith wrote: »
    Go for the ones marked 'gyoza skins/wrappers', they're thinner than the wonton ones.

Then go to youtube and search the Cooking with Dog channel for Gyoza. Absolutely, 100%, by far the best gyoza recipe out there. Exactly like the ones you buy in Japan.

That's great, thanks! Going to try them on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Tahini for hummus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I generally pick up my Japanese ingredients meaning

Soy Sauce - Yamasa is far nicer than salty kikkoman
    Miso paste - Marukome Boy - I like the red pack
    wasabi paste - havent gone powder yet as you need to buy 5kg
    Japanese rice vinegar - Mizkan brand
    Nori - for sushi rolls
    Konbu and Waikame (seaweeds) for dashi (stock)
    Katsuobushi (bonito flakes) - these are expensive suckers, but the real deal. I think 250g is about a tenner. Sometime I buy the instant dashi pellets - Hondashi - these come in vitamin like containers and are great for making a quick stock....

Always check dates in regards to any of the above ingredients.....particularly if you are not in the actual asian market on drury street (which supplies the rest I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went on a bit of a spree today

Rice wrappers for Spring Rolls for lunches next week (accidentally bought enormous ones)

709e880e-73af-46da-90a4-89cd2f266802_zps8a97db3c.jpg

Salted Black Beans to add to stir fries and make black bean sauces

4b0e4e4f-28e5-414e-91d2-20c90ed86151_zps04d9e429.jpg

Toasted sesame seeds with wasabi - to have with sushi for lunch if I can stop just pouring them out of the bottle into my mouth for 10 minutes

ad2c0747-6dc6-46d1-ad2b-7e9d204203bb_zpsbb5d58ca.jpg

Sushi Mat & wasabi

f7109858-8e8d-4405-be56-236b58aee8ee_zpsedbb6a07.jpg9448e88c-bf18-4a0d-a698-68860fec66b2_zps4d423e23.jpg

and a couple of sauces (I love this hoisin)

d813dee5-57df-4fad-b945-2261613fc214_zpsfdad9df8.jpg

• Advertisement

asia market doing tours all through february to educate people on different ingredients around the store, great idea..

486005_497552226953962_491497737_n.jpg

I did this tour last week and it is fantastic. Eva is excellent and the tour lasts for an hour. Came out with all sorts of ideas and saw products and product lines that I hadnt seen before....

-vietnamese stock cubes for pho
    -small form wasabi powder (those tubes dont last)
    -chinese soup mix
    -moshi (avoid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

you mean mochi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Mmmm I love mochi, it's very very sweet though! The glutenous rice cakes are nice as an occasional treat too.

Was in last week and picked up Genmaicha/Brown rice tea- I find standard green teabags a bit hard to stomach but this is nice. And it smells amazing too, like popcorn.

ymy-genmicha-teabags1.jpg

Thud wrote: »
    you mean mochi?

Yes, it was pronounced moshi. I found them quite sickly, I had a green one with a red bean paste inside. My mate struggled with his aswell.....

as I said at the time, leave the sweet stuff to the french....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mochi can be a bit hard alright, it kind of reminds me of marzipan in that it's quite sweet and a little nibble can taste quite good, but the combination of sweetness combined with the dry paste texture can make it hard to get through more than a mouthful or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

am so happy this thread exists! There is an Indian grocery/veg shop right beside where I work. I pass it every day on my way to/from the work carpark and I have been in a few times for a gawk, but never know what to buy and more often that not, I've come out empty handed.
    Keep the info coming please - next time I might actually have an idea of what to buy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

I did the tour of the Asia market on Drury Street and found it very interesting. If you can go i would highly recommend it as it is very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I did it as well and it was excellent. Have since gone back and bought loads of ingredients and will be cooking lots of Asian food from now on! I definitely recommend the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

I did it as well and it was excellent. Have since gone back and bought loads of ingredients and will be cooking lots of Asian food from now on! I definitely recommend the tour.

Just out of interest, what have you bought since the tour, or better still, what are you going to experiment with ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just out of interest, what have you bought since the tour, or better still, what are you going to experiment with ?:pac:

We bought a load of stuff! Here's the list of what we got...

Plum wine (tastes a bit like sherry)
    Palm sugar
    Dried squid snacks
    Mochi
    Yellow curry paste
    Corn snacks
    Frozen prawns (1kg)
    Thai jasmine rice
    Rice noodles
    Vermicelli
    Rice paper wrappers
    Sesame seeds
    Cinnamon sticks
    Fish sauce
    Barbeque peanuts
    Light soy sauce
    Aloe vera juice drink
    Miso paste
    Bok choi
    Asian brocolli
    Mirin
    No calorie noodles
    Chinese soup spoon x 2

Yesterday we made rice noodle pho with rare beef and star anise, tomorrow we are making hoisin chicken with a celery salad and on Friday we will try Vietnamese rice noodles with sticky prawns. I have a great Asian cookery book that we will basically try to work our way through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement