Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game management

Options
  • 31-01-2013 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Alright there's been a lot of talk from coaches on how they are throwing to many picks . Lets all give are two cents !

"Throw it away "

I'm guilty of forcing passes . Heck all of us are guilty of this sin . Honestly though if its not on . Throw it away . An example , my human vs human games last season . The games I won by 3 scores or more were games that my opponent threw 2 or more picks . It gave me short fields to work with it , putting my opponents defense under pressure and I don't need to use to many of my offensive plays.

Look at the Eagles Redskins games. The eagles didn't throw a pick and he beat the almighty Skins !

So even if its 3rd and short and it's not on . Throw it away and force your opponent to march down field to score. You never know he/she might just make a bad read in a passing play .

However the only way to do this is to hit the practice mode and practice all your passing plays.

More to follow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Yeah good shout Dave.

Think this is the biggest flaw in my own passing game, not using RS to throw it away. Don't think I did it once all last season, and it just never enters my thought process.

Picks seem to decide a lot of HvH games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Yeah this is a major problem for me, Threw 7 last night and 13 already this season, throwing it away never enters my head, doesnt help that my recievers cant run routes or catch. Big Improvement needed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i was doing a practice session and threw 4 ints with Locker
    Played a game and threw 3 ints, all in the redzone and it cost me the game as on each drive my opponent scored and ate a lot of clock.

I am going to have a tough go of it now with Locker on his cold streak, but Dave is right throw it away.

After my game last night i went and looked at my plays and some of them were just stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

You are 100% right Dave, its so hard to do though isn't it.

I have thrown a good lot of picks this season but actually I would say only 2 of them were genuinely bad throws. Another 1 was where I had Colston going on a deep route and nobody else open and I threw it to him thinking "if its a pick, it will be as good as a punt". I know thats a bit risky but I think its worth the risk.

I had a game last night where I won 39-10 in the PFL and I didn't score a single offensive TD that was me as the Bengals against a Ravens team with a decent enough player. I won because I made my opponent throw short passes and make short runs. The more plays they need to make to get up the field the more chances there are of picks and fumbles.

Also this season has seen the return of my run game as I find if I run the ball, my pass plays are less predictable and I need a smaller playbook of pass plays I like to use. All helps not to turn the ball over.

Turnovers are where games are won and lost. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

The next tip !

'Stick to the run "

Stick to it, even if its not getting you any more than 2-3 yards a play . If you run less chance of turn overs plus when you do pass your opponent won't always know your passing .

My gameplan in a game is to force tackles for a loss. So my opponent doesn't want to run . If they stop runnin all together I can go into my pass defensive plays which leads to picks/sacks .

If however I go up against say berty . He'll keep pounding the rock . Which opens the door against a defense who are expecting run to pass on them .

I had a QB rating of 100 ish with Sanchez last year . The reason is because I rushed for over 2000 yards in the season. The majority of my passing success has been based upon having my QB under centre and having my opponent believing I'm running it.

"Stick to the run to open up the pass "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Again fully correct here Dave

Are we playing tonight:P

Again fully correct here Dave

Are we playing tonight:P

Yup ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How Ian didn't throw a pick in our game ill never know :D :pac:

Throw it away or take the sack is key! I take loads of sacks but its better than giving up possession of the ball.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Depends on your QB, some QB's (Weeden for example) will cough it up when they get hit so a sack turns into a sack fumble, recovered by the defense, 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

SantryRed wrote: »
    How Ian didn't throw a pick in our game ill never know :D :pac:

I have the better quarterback, everyone knows that :pac: and pure luck that's how

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

notyalc666 wrote: »
    I have the better quarterback, everyone knows that :pac: and pure luck that's how

Ah you played very well Ian but when I baited you into that pass to Jackson in the 4th quarter and Hall dropped it I was going mad, the first time all game something worked on defence :pac:

"Check it down"

Here's a scenario where I get a large percentage of my picks . 3rd and 13 on your own 23 yard line A lot of coaches throw it anyway hoping for there wide receiver to make a play in double coverage. He gets picked off and the other teams Gets the ball at your 40 yard line. There already in FG range , and only need 4 first downs to get into the end zone .

Or Why not have a check down to a HB,TE that yes is behind the first down marker. Let them make a play . If the get tackled short big deal ! Punt it and play field position

A punt after a failed 3rd and long in this situation will get you inside his 20-30 yard line . There making him go 70-80 yards to score a TD.

Learn what your check downs are going to be after your long pass reads are not open in the practice mode .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Sound words Dave.

Yep, presssing the right stick can be your friend. I probably do it at least once per game.

Believe in you defence and don't be afraid to give some love to your punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Punters are people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Keep em coming lads! :)

Advertisement