Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€12 for a Home Beer Brewing Class at The Beer Club (value €25)

Options
  • 31-01-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

On Grabone

Might suit some people looking to get in to the hobby but afraid about how to get started.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Jebus! Already?

Full disclosure: I'm teaching these classes. And no, I didn't ask Saruman to post this.

Better put 9th February in my diary, then...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Better get prepared then.

I know! I see he has March 16th and 23rd down. Usually the kit from the previous class gets bottled at the next one. With just one week in between that'll mean having to do an extra kit a few weeks earlier so it's ready by the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hmm... how many in the class? 2 days left and 20 have already been bought.

I think the most we've had was 30. It was... cosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 brgn hntr

Hi Beer Nut,

I see these are back on (not sure if you're still teaching them?);

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/the-beer-club/24222041?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_198&a=1220

I'm thinking of getting one for my Dad but it doesn't give much information about what's involved on either site. Will the class go through the process from start to finish or does it concentrate on specific areas?

Also it now states a max. class size of 40. How practical is this if you felt 30 was 'cosy'?

Thanks,
    Brgn Hntr.

Yep, still me.

I suspect that the 40 maximum is to allow for some amount of no-shows, but it's totally doable. The bigger classes are always more fun than the little ones.

The class goes through the process from start to finish:
    - Equipment
    - Picking a kit
    - Top-up fermentables
    - Sanitising
    - Mixing together
    - Getting the temperature and gravity right
    - Reading and interpreting the gravity
    - Fermentation time and temperature
    - Calculating the ABV
    - Priming
    - Hands-on bottling

and if I remember, or somebody asks, stuff about kit hacking and the next steps beyond kits.

One thing I would say to anyone buying one of these (or any deal site voucher, really): use it as quick as you can. Don't wait until it's nearly expired, because loads of other people do that and it's less enjoyable for all involved when you're trying to accommodate big crowds of people with rapidly expiring vouchers.

After the first classes in August, there won't be any in September but I'd say they'll be resuming again in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brgn hntr

That's great info! Think I'll get him one.

Thanks a mill Beer Nut.

Advertisement