Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Socks

Options
  • 31-01-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Guys and Gals - can any of you recommend a decent pair of running socks, I was speaking with a ultramarathon dude the other night and he said that he found good running socks a sound investment, he said that he found he suffered less injuries since he started using them also. He was dead boring tbh so I got away from him as soon as I could and didnt ask for recommendations.

But it got me thinking, and anything that might prevent previous injuries from resurrecting themselves must be worth a few quid. So has anyone recommend a decent pair of running socks or are they just another way of getting money off us with no real benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Unless you take blisters to be injuries, socks have never made that much of a difference to me. When Aldi and Lidl do running gear I usually pick up a pair of socks, that does me fine. Then again I'm not some ultramarathon dude. As with all running gear I just try to remember the golden rule: Cotton is the devil! The DEVIL!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Aldi running socks unreal. Did last year's Dublin city marathon and all the training in them seriously better that the so called 1000 mile socks, Nike, Asics etc. I've tried them all. You cannot go wrong. Also a snug fitting pair of runners. They go hand in hand. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Tried 1000-mile a few years ago, used to blister, but think that was the shoes. They don't blister me any more, but only use them if running low on clean pairs.
    Aldi better than Lidl, though both ok, have found the bumps of cushioning annoy me a bit now, but used them constantly for a couple of years without issue.
    Got Kalenji (sp?) socks from the Tuam 8k a couple of years ago, find them great & have 3 new pairs from this years race as yet unused.
    Bought 2 pairs of black Inov-8 socks a while back as the winter runs were destroying my white runs, have found them great so far and will consider them for future purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Have found the penny's ankle socks to work wonders for long distance running.
    Have used the 1000 miles ones but after using the penny's ankle socks I'd never go back. Used to get awfully bad blisters with 1000 mile but did dcm in the penny's ones and my feet were fine!:)
    They're cheap too 6 pairs for 2-3 quid.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Im an awful skinflint at times, I went down to Elverys at lunchtime and had a look at their options, saw the 1000 mile Fusion sock and liked the look and feel of them, they were €13. I thought "they'll do me" on the way to the till I saw Under Armour Socks were 3 for €10, I thought I wont be ripped off so dropped the 1000 mile socks and got the Under Armour ones instead which as far as I can see are like any normal "Sports Sock"

I regretted this decision by the time I was back at my desk. I am a div!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Im an awful skinflint at times, I went down to Elverys at lunchtime and had a look at their options, saw the 1000 mile Fusion sock and liked the look and feel of them, they were €13. I thought "they'll do me" on the way to the till I saw Under Armour Socks were 3 for €10, I thought I wont be ripped off so dropped the 1000 mile socks and got the Under Armour ones instead which as far as I can see are like any normal "Sports Sock"

I regretted this decision by the time I was back at my desk. I am a div!

Go back with your receipt & switch them out if you've changed your mind.

Go back with your receipt & switch them out if you've changed your mind.

Receipt?! Bah, dont be ridiculous! I dont keep such things, what sort of fool would need to bring socks back ?!:rolleyes:

No, I will use these Under Armour cheapies and buy the 1000 mile ones tomorrow, cost myself a €10 though, but then again you can never have too many white socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I use 1000 miles socks fo my long runs, i think they are very comfortable and no blisters. Short runs i would use any sports socks

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Id say the ultramarathon dude you were talking to was probably referring to compression socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Big fan of Wigwam socks. Never had a blister since using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

was given a present of sky run socks for christmas, i usually wear the lidl one but was informed that these particular were very expensive & had silver thread, i've never worn them, keeping them for good wear!

Chhers Folks,

Had another recommendation of Balega Socks - They look the biz too. It is Aldi/Lidl and then Balega, but might have to go with Balega first as god knows when Aldi/Lidl will have their specials on.

Silver Thread? Ohhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm a big fan of 1000 mile socks.

If you see any running socks in Aldi also, they are very good and very cheap.

Advertisement