Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do babies get their routine public health nurse development assesment?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Are babies in Ireland meant to have a developmental check with the public health nurse around 6 months?
    We had one visit at about 5 days old and nothing since then...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

mary1978 wrote: »
    Are babies in Ireland meant to have a developmental check with the public health nurse around 6 months?
    Thanks
    Yeah I was told at about 7/8 months old he would haVe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

There due a 3 month developmental check and then hearing between 7 and 9 months. Then a check between 18-24 mnths and between 3-3.5 . Id ring them if you havent heard anything. My lo is 9 months and i rang earlier in d week as havent had anything since 3 months and im also waiting on appointment fir ophtamologist but so far have left 2 msgs and no 1 has got back to me so just about to ring again. They never seem to answer the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

3 months, 7-9 months, 12 months, 2 yrs and 3 yrs is what my lot all got...

PHN told me to ring and make appointments if ones weren't sent out because she's so busy she forgets people sometimes.

I've never had to thankfully, she's always prompt in sending out appts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

mary1978 wrote: »
    Thanks

My son was 3 mths yesterday and had his 3 mth development check up - weight, height, head circumference, hips, head control etc... He wii be back between 7 & 9 mths. Then 2yrs & 3 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Got an appointment for my daughter today. She will be ten months when she gets hers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My niece who us 4 weeks younger than my lo and lives in the same area got an appointment out in the post last week for her 7-9 mnth check. So aftr leaving 4 msgs i got a call today to arrange an appointment. Luckily i followed up on this as its obvious that some do slip through the cracks. I wasnt too worried about that but more the ophtamologist appointment so i ended up ringing the eye department meself yesterday when phn still hadnt called.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Most HSE clinics will have a drop in service. I fell between two stools, so to speak, as the region I'm in has two clinics so I was with one but could attend the other as it suited me better time wise. I bring my lass every six weeks or so for a weight check and a general chat. There was a more formal official check up when she was 8 months with two PHNs, but if you've not gotten a letter about that I'd contact one. There's also a check at 18 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am half considering making some sort of complaint about my former phn. We moved, and I contacted the new phn here to get us transferred over. I called in during the week so see had our records come across. They had. But, to my surprise, as we hadn't seen the last phn since the baby was 6 weeks old... There was a full set of records for other checkups, all the way up to 18 months. 3 fake visits. In other words, she falsified records. Now, it's obvious as day that they are false, as the 18 month old weight is higher than what my daughter is now at 23 months, and i have all the allergy clinic notes with her weights every few weeks.

I don't like anyone to be in trouble at work, but am really very cross about this one. She has missed her developmental checks, ear tests, eye tests, everything. If we fell through the cracks, fair enough, they are swamped and I could get the checks now, in my new area. but she faked the reports, so now there won't be any checks at all. Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

pwurple wrote: »
    I am half considering making some sort of complaint about my former phn. We moved, and I contacted the new phn here to get us transferred over. I called in during the week so see had our records come across. They had. But, to my surprise, as we hadn't seen the last phn since the baby was 6 weeks old... There was a full set of records for other checkups, all the way up to 18 months. 3 fake visits. In other words, she falsified records. Now, it's obvious as day that they are false, as the 18 month old weight is higher than what my daughter is now at 23 months, and i have all the allergy clinic notes with her weights every few weeks.

I don't like anyone to be in trouble at work, but am really very cross about this one. She has missed her developmental checks, ear tests, eye tests, everything. If we fell through the cracks, fair enough, they are swamped and I could get the checks now, in my new area. but she faked the reports, so now there won't be any checks at all. Grrr!
    No way, that is the wagon. I don't like seeing people in trouble at work either but different sTory when they obviously don't give a dam and are completely incompetent! Don't blame you for being angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Would it be possible there is another child locally with the same or similar name?? Maybe it's a recording error rather than an outright falsification......

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Would it be possible there is another child locally with the same or similar name?? Maybe it's a recording error rather than an outright falsification......

We have a fairly uncommon surname, and the childs first name isn't in the CSO top 50 either, so I don't think it's that. Maybe it is a cascade of errors. Her name and DOB is on these reports, with handwritten notes about things that just didn't happen. i don't know anything about their procedures but that seems like a very specific error to make, 3 times.

I would like to give the benefit of the doubt for now though.

I wouldn't bother giving it the benefit of doubt at all. Please please get this seen to further. I know when I go to my local PHN I have to sign a little sign in sheet, if your old PHN was similar then they'd have a record, in your hand writing of you being there that day.

Records should not be falsified at all! They may be swamped but that doesn't mean your child should suffer from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Can't be too swamped if they have the time to sit down and make up reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Seems to depend on where you are, as to when & how often you get developmental checks. My little one got one at 7 months and 15 months. They said they'll see her at 18 months, 2 years & 3 years. Think it's either because it's either because we live in Tallaght & it's classed as underprivileged or else there's more facilities.

Other people I know only got called for their 1st check at 11 and 12 months and others just have a drop in service.

pwurple I would definitely lodge an official complaint. What if your child had an illness that was never picked up because you were never called. Totally incompetant.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Pwurple, I would 100% lodge a complaint. There is no way they should get away with falsification like that.

I can't believe how few developmental checks you get back home. My daughter is 13 months and has her checkups with a pediatrician. So far she had one at 2 weeks, 2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 months. She has her next one at 15 months and will have one every 3 months until she is 2. She will then have a few more before she turns 3.

I'd say what happened was they went to do the transfer, realised they were missing bits, and threw something together to get it off their pile. I'll have to think about how to best handle this... I don't have the reports myself, I just saw them in the new health center. I take falsification very seriously, so I want to be 100% right before I go accusing someone of it. I'll have to get those reports into my hand and take a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I don't think you should have a problem getting a copy tho, surely freedom of info would cover that?

Freedom of Info or if it's as easy as getting records from Temple St (routine access of information I think the risk manager called it when I made my request for my daughter) then it should be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

When you want to apply to access your records you'll need id with you, remember.
    AFAIK there are specified time frames within which they have to get the request processed, check and copy the file and get the info to you.

Advertisement