Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Roof and going to insurance

Options
  • 31-01-2013 11:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

I just renewed my insurance last week. I have 4 years no claims bonus and the insurance is quiet low - €370 for a 3 bedroom terraced house. The property is rented but there have been plenty of problems in the last few months as new tenants moved in and the house has been completely renovated.

A few slates on the roof have fallen off with the wind etc. Therefore when it rains it has the potential to leak into the attic and then onto the ceiling of the rooms. The slates need to be replaced and repaired and a hoist has been hired for a few days. The total cost will be €750. I have honestly no experience re house insurance. Could anybody tell whether this is worth persuing with my insurance company and what the implications on my premium would be going forward?

It will be fixed tomorrow. I knew last week re this but only found out the damage and the price 2 days ago. Should I have informed the insurance company last week of same. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if its only going to cost €750 you would be off your head claiming.

With the excess and the hike in your premium your going to end up worse off. That's before you even consider that the €750 it will cost gross will cost significantly less nett as it is a tax deductible expense off your rental return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Cheers for the advice re that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Are repairs tax deductible on non-rental properties, ie primary residence?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi,
    I'd also ensure you have landlords insurance for the property as not declaring the property is rented can invalidate some claims with insurers.
    D3PO is right though, crazy to claim for 750 with excess you'd suffer premium increases in some cases for what will end up 400 - 500 in your hand to pay roofing contractor.
    I'd shop around for a good price on the repair / roof over haul - maintenance. PM me if you want a couple of roofing co's details.
    Also keep invoice of roof repair on file in case of larger more costly damage / claim in the future, showing that you have been reasonable in your property maintenance.
    Rdgs,
    mike F :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

micromary wrote: »
    A few slates on the roof have fallen off with the wind etc.
    Is there modern felt under the slates? If so, it should be quite resistant to rain, although obviously it is something that would need to fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Of course not. Don't know why you'd think they would be? A landlord can write them off against the tax he pays on income the property generates. If an individual could get tax relief on repairs and improvements we'd all have fantastic houses and pay no tax ;)

Advertisement