Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wok cooking

Options
  • 31-01-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best results from a wok?
    My understanding is that you're supposed to stir-fry food quickly at high temperature, and keep it moving. The design of a wok is such that it is hot all over.

Now, our wok isn't the best, but it does have a somewhat non-stick surface. However, as we have a ceramic hob, the wok is one with a flat bottom so that it sits stable in close contact. What I find is that the flat bottom part gets much hotter than the rest of it, so food tends to readily stick to the bottom, while the rest of the wok doesn't get hot enough for "all around" cooking.

It's so annoying that I've largely given up using it and just use a large non-stick frying pan instead for stir-frys. But that's not ideal as the sides aren't high enough and you can't really toss the food around as well.

Is there a better way to use a wok on a ceramic hob, or do they really only work properly with gas, so that the heat is evenly distributed up the sides?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a ceramic hob and have had the same problem. The purists will probably stone me, but I've taken to making stir-fries in my sauté pan which has high sides. Food doesn't stick nearly as much and I feel in more control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I can't imagine a wok would do it's job on a ceramic hob.
    I have a friend with a ceramic hob and when she needs to use a wok, she pulls out her gas camping stove. Think it cost about €20 in Argos. I think it's a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Hmm - I wonder if I could just use my gas BBQ? :p

It's in the garage for winter, but I could use it inside there with the door open. (I wouldn't try that for a proper BBQ cos of the smoke, but just heating a wok might be OK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ElleEm wrote: »
    I can't imagine a wok would do it's job on a ceramic hob.
    I have a friend with a ceramic hob and when she needs to use a wok, she pulls out her gas camping stove. Think it cost about €20 in Argos. I think it's a great idea!

I just moved into a house with electric hobs and I hate them. I had the idea to buy a camping stove for stir fries during the week. Great idea!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

syklops wrote: »
    I just moved into a house with electric hobs and I hate them.
    Yeah, the 5-ring gas cooker (including wok stand) was a major selling point when we moved in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

woks are supposed to be hotter in the bottom/centre.
    The idea is that you cook food quickly in the centre and move it up the sides for less heat. You must keep the food moving in a wok.
    This dual heat idea does get a bit exaggerated with an electric hob, alright but I have used woks on electric hobs without too much bother.
    High heat, keep the food moving and don't overfill the wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I have a ceramic hob and have had the same problem. The purists will probably stone me, but I've taken to making stir-fries in my sauté pan which has high sides. Food doesn't stick nearly as much and I feel in more control.

I cook stir-fries in a normal frying pan all the time. It's not exactly going to impact on the flavour of the dish is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

One thing I do is make sure the wok is nice and hot before putting the oil in and then food. Then making sure I move the food around constantly while it's cooking to stop it sticking make sure to use enough liquida to keep the base wet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I learnt from Jamie Oliver to toss the stuff in the wok. In a movement similar to tossing pancakes. I'll try and find the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

It's fairly pointless using a wok in the domestic kitchen. The temperature required and the fact that the gas should flow around the edges of the wok limit its use domestically. I would just use a saute pan as others have suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I use a wok all the time on our gas hob quite successfully. We have a large centre burner that's designed for large pans or woks.

All someone else said, I leave the wok on the burner without any oil for about 10 mins before I start to cook. At that stage it's extremely hot and when the oil is added it smokes almost imediately. The food goes in straight after and cooks really quickly.

The wok mostly retains its heat when the ingredients are added.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

OK, I swallowed my pride and have dispensed with our old wok.

Tesco had a discount on Tefal frying pans, so we are now the owners of non-stick deep stir-fry pan. I know it's not the same, but should work better on our ceramic hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

breen_og wrote: »
    The temperature required...
    +1, I don't think any nonstick coating will hold up to the temps you should use woks at. A domestic ceramic hob will get hot enough to destroy the coatings, as it doesn't take much

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use a wok all the time on our gas hob quite successfully. We have a large centre burner that's designed for large pans or woks.

All someone else said, I leave the wok on the burner without any oil for about 10 mins before I start to cook. At that stage it's extremely hot and when the oil is added it smokes almost imediately. The food goes in straight after and cooks really quickly.

The wok mostly retains its heat when the ingredients are added.

Sounds like you have a cast iron wok.
    An everyday hammered steel wok would be melted through if you left it on high heat for 10 minutes!

Advertisement