Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****ching from UPC to Smart

• 31-01-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Currently I'm paying 50 quid for BB+phone, but don't really need phone... 30quit / month from Smart looks very good but I know nothing about how good their service is... Could anyone having BB from Smart share some info? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If the Smart bb is standard DSL over a phone line then it will be miles slower than UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I switched from UPC to Smart about a year ago and am delighted with it. I was paying a fortune for TV/Phone/BB with UPC (€90pm approx) so got a satellite dish/saorview aerial and cancelled UPC. I now pay €35 pm approx for BB and Phone (which we use very little but still find handy now and again), have far superior TV picture (especially RTE 2 HD) and find the BB just as good as UPC - about 16Meg. I thought at the time that it seemed too good to be true but have had no problems - thoroughly recommend you to switch!

BTW, why do you need to asterisk out the first 4 letters of the word "switching" in your thread title ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It depends if speed is important. Cable broadband is a superior product to ADSL, and 16Mbit is a lot slower than 50. There's also no guarantee 16Mbit is available to the OP. It depends how far from the exchange they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

byronbay2 wrote: »
    BB just as good as UPC - about 16Meg. I thought at the time that it seemed too good to be true but have had no problems - thoroughly recommend you to switch!
    Thanks, 16 megs would me enough for me
    BTW, why do you need to asterisk out the first 4 letters of the word "switching" in your thread title ??
    Have no idea what happened there :|

It depends if speed is important. Cable broadband is a superior product to ADSL, and 16Mbit is a lot slower than 50. There's also no guarantee 16Mbit is available to the OP. It depends how far from the exchange they are.

16 would be enough. Any way I can find out where the nearest exchange is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

IMHO changing to smart from UPC is a bad decision. the speed and service from UPC is much better than anything over a phone line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lo0kash wrote: »

Have no idea what happened there :|

Instead of Swit you typed Sh*t and the swear filter blanked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm very curious how this goes.

Had 24Mbps with Smart previously and switched to 30Mbps UPC; so had both for the first month. The Smart was significantly faster - a steady 16-20Mbps when downloading from any fast site, while the UPC got 7-12Mbps wavering a lot during the download. Since upgraded to UPC 100Mbps and it still isn't as fast or consistent as the Smart connection.

It may be that Smart is used mostly by business customers, so has much less contention off business hours (exactly when home owners would use it); I did notice Smart was a bit slower during the day, faster evenings & weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

New UPC bundles start at €41 for 50Mb and phone.

AlanMc86 wrote: »
    New UPC bundles start at €41 for 50Mb and phone.

I can't see that on their website... Could you pls post the link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

lo0kash wrote: »
    I can't see that on their website... Could you pls post the link?

They aren't on the website, new bundles for existing customers looking for better value. Call 1908 and ask about it.

AlanMc86 wrote: »
    They aren't on the website, new bundles for existing customers looking for better value. Call 1908 and ask about it.

Will do, thanks a lot.

Advertisement