Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird nest boxes and bird feed-Aldi

• 31-01-2013 11:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Got some nice bargains in Aldi this morning.:)

12.75kg of bird feed for 15 euro.

Open and closed bird nest boxes for 7 euro each...(bought 6 of them).

Twinpack Fatball Feeders complete with fatballs for 5 euro

Glazed bird feeders for 5 euro each (peanut and mixed seed feeders).

Thats should keep the various birds in the garden happy.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Also got these stainless steel lantern feeders for 9 euro in Aldi.

Considering that these are 20 euro in quite a few garden centres and DIY stores........this a good bargain.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

If looking for bird seed, Dealz have 1.85kgs (includes 350g free) for €1.49, so works out at €10.27 for the same amount as Aldi. Have been buying it for a few months now and birds have no objection! It's a year round seed mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Libera wrote: »
    If looking for bird seed, Dealz have 1.85kgs (includes 350g free) for €1.49, so works out at €10.27 for the same amount as Aldi. Have been buying it for a few months now and birds have no objection! It's a year round seed mix.

Thanks OP , do Dealz do peanuts/nuts (for Birds) too ?

I never stopped to think of Dealz (:o),and yet I spend a fair bit of time in one of their stores browzing around.

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Ah, it's hard to think of everywhere to look for the best prices! ;) Dealz do smaller sized RSPB mixes of seed also for €1.49 but they are only 600g or 800g - winter, summer mix etc. Only difference is that the winter one has suet pellets for high energy and these are dear to buy separately. The big bags of seed are better at the moment as it's new stock just in with 350g free in each bag.

No, I haven't seen them doing peanuts.

I did see meal worms for €1.49 the other day and that is cheap, as they are pricey in pet shops.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's hard to think of everywhere to look for the best prices! ;) Dealz do smaller sized RSPB mixes of seed also for €1.49 but they are only 600g or 800g - winter, summer mix etc. Only difference is that the winter one has suet pellets for high energy and these are dear to buy separately. The big bags of seed are better at the moment as it's new stock just in with 350g free in each bag.

No, I haven't seen them doing peanuts.

I did see meal worms for €1.49 the other day and that is cheap, as they are pricey in pet shops.

Thats a cracking price for meal worms,as like you said...they are rather expensive in the pet stores.:(

Now if only Dealz sold bird feeders on the cheap too.

Never seen any for sale in Omni or Blanchardstown.

Euro2 stores sell nice abs coloured plastic ones for 2 euro.3 openings at the bottom for the birds to eat from.

Bought 3 of them and hung 1 from the multi stem birch tree in the garden.Sparrows and starlings seem to love swooping down for a quick feed every little while.:)

Not too bad for 2 euro each.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »
    Euro2 stores sell nice abs coloured plastic ones for 2 euro.3 openings at the bottom for the birds to eat from.

Bought 3 of them and hung 1 from the multi stem birch tree in the garden.Sparrows and starlings seem to love swooping down for a quick feed every little while.:)

Not too bad for 2 euro each.:)

Will the mice and rats get fed off these too paddy ? :P :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Will the mice and rats get fed off these too paddy ? :P :D

Ah no,sure thats what cats are for.:D

Bought another 2 bird nest boxes this evening.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Ah no,sure thats what cats are for.:D

Bought another 2 bird nest boxes this evening.:)
    Are you just fattening up the birds for next christmas? How many acres is your garden Paddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Stopping by for some new seamfree undies I see too:D

Gonna have to pay Aldi a visit for some of those bird feeders as kids get upset when the robin's are down and no food for them. Had to stop putting bread out as pigeon's were sh!tting everywhere.

Thanks for the pics Paddy.

Slick50 wrote: »
    Are you just fattening up the birds for next christmas? How many acres is your garden Paddy?

Nah,just keeping the birds happy and like to see them in our garden.:)

The garden is a wildlife friendly and bee friendly garden.:D

We have a good few homemade insect and ladybird hotels around the garden for them to take shelter and to breed.:)

My girlfriends horticultural experience and influence is rubbing off on me........1st the gardening....and now beekeeping,wildlife,birds and frogs/tadpoles.:D

Also bought a large tub of 50 fatballs too (50 in a tub).

Stopping by for some new seamfree undies I see too:D

Gonna have to pay Aldi a visit for some of those bird feeders as kids get upset when the robin's are down and no food for them. Had to stop putting bread out as pigeon's were sh!tting everywhere.

Thanks for the pics Paddy.

I did notice them allright.:D

Oh and my pleasure.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The garden is a wildlife friendly and bee friendly garden.:D.
    Lovely to look out and see a bit of wildlife around the garden alright. Sounds like the perfect place to have "the talk" when the young ones get to that age.

The garden is a wildlife friendly and bee friendly garden.:D

We have a good few homemade insect and ladybird hotels around the garden for them to take shelter and to breed.:)

My girlfriends horticultural experience and influence is rubbing off on me........1st the gardening....and now beekeeping,wildlife,birds and frogs/tadpoles.:D

Also bought a large tub of 50 fatballs too (50 in a tub).

What's the chances of me being your first customer for Honey?

Lovely to look out and see a bit of wildlife around the garden alright. Sounds like the perfect place to have "the talk" when the young ones get to that age.

Yeah..the Birds and the bees indeed.:D

Wont be long till we have to have that chat with our daughter allright.:pac:

The garden is just a lovely place to sit outside in and enjoy a nice cuppa tea...even on a day like today.

I find it very relaxing indeed and its a great way to sit and chat away to the girlfriend,instead of just sitting indoors watching the TV.

Maybe I have found a new calling in life???:pac::D

:D Yeh whilst getting the arse stung off ya and your eyes being pecked outta your head by all the birds :D :pac::pac:

What's the chances of me being your first customer for Honey?

Theres allready a big que and a list of people.;):D

Homemade Pancakes and fresh pure honey from the hives and honeycomb.....cant beat it.:D:D

If you look at that 4th last pic of the honeybees......

The 6 small white grubs in the honecomb...they are baby bees.

Amazing to see it happen in the flesh.:D

Theres allready a big que and a list of people.;):D

Homemade Pancakes and fresh pure honey from the hives and honeycomb.....cant beat it.:D:D

The 6 small white grubs in the honecomb...they are baby bees.

Amazing to see it happen in the flesh.:D

Ya it's super alright.

We'll if all those on your list decide against some fresh Honeycomb then I'm you man, being looking for this for a while and it's proving very difficult, though I believe Bee Keeping is in a resurgence.

Are yours the Native Irish Bee, apis mellifera mellifera ?

Ya it's super alright.

We'll if all those on your list decide against some fresh Honeycomb then I'm you man, being looking for this for a while and it's proving very difficult, though I believe Bee Keeping is in a resurgence.

Are yours the Native Irish Bee, apis mellifera mellifera ?

I will have to ask herself in the morning (gone to bed now).

Shes the beekeeper...not me.

I just about had the gutts to go up to the hives,but only after a fair bit of persuasion on her part.

I was nervous as fcuk...and Im not afraid to say that.Never saw so many bees in my life.

I soon learned that the bees have only 1 glide/flight path into the hive,and if you stand in the wrong location you prevent them from getting to the hive.

Some of the bees then misstook me for the hive,as I was standing in their flight path.:o:eek:

• Advertisement

I will have to ask herself in the morning (asleep now).

Shes the beekeeper...not me.

I just about had the gutts to go up to the hives,but only after a fair bit of persuasion on her part.

I was nervous as fcuk...and Im not afraid to say that.Never saw so many bees in my life.

I soon learned that the bees have only 1 glide/flight path into the hive,and if you stand in the wrong location you prevent them from getting to the hive.

Some of the bees then misstook me for the hive,as I was standing in ther flight path.:o:eek:

Ha ! Brilliant.

I've often thought about keeping Bees but like yourself I'd be nervous about it, suppose I'd want someone local to show me the ropes. Maybe someday, the thoughts of fresh Honeycomb now.......:cool:

Ha ! Brilliant.

I've often thought about keeping Bees but like yourself I'd be nervous about it, suppose I'd want someone local to show me the ropes. Maybe someday, the thoughts of fresh Honeycomb now.......:cool:

Fingal Bee Keepers do several courses throughout the year.

Seems to be a very good and informative course.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The 6 small white grubs in the honecomb...they are baby bees..

I betcha everyone scrolled back up :D Great pics!

Should have posted this earlier this morning,but forgot..

Bees in the hive are Native Irish Bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Paddy, do you ever get confused for a Japanese tourist?

gerbo wrote: »
    Paddy, do you ever get confused for a Japanese tourist?

Only when I speak like this......:pac::D

Advertisement