Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Blackbeery. Does any one care?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:59pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw the new BB 10 devices will be released today.

The Z10 looks impressive.

No thread here so does any one care about BB these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I watched the webcast of the launch yesterday. While the launch was underwhelming, both the Z10 and Q10 look awesome! I will be getting the Q10 when its released in a few months. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I've cared for quite a while.

I love Blackberry.

Count me as another one for the Q10. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-q10-hands-on/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

HTML5! wrote: »
    I've cared for quite a while.

I love Blackberry.

Count me as another one for the Q10. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-q10-hands-on/

We have a Blackberry Ireland BBM group if you're interested in joining.
    Send me a message to 297B9094 and put "Group" in the message. :)

Lardy wrote: »
    We have a Blackberry Ireland BBM group if you're interested in joining.
    Send me a message to 297B9094 and put "Group" in the message. :)

I'm using an iPhone at the moment and can't afford to change it just now - it's a loaner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I'll be picking up a Z10 once they go on sale here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what do you reckon the price will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Does anyone know if BB10 supports exchange active sync without the need for a BES as the Q10 does look quite decent

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Does anyone know if BB10 supports exchange active sync without the need for a BES as the Q10 does look quite decent

Yes full activesync will work without a BES server. The bis requirement has also been removed compared to old devices. Just needs a standard internet account as per other smartphones by all accounts.

godtabh wrote: »
    what do you reckon the price will be?

I think they're 500 or 600 SIM free, so I reckon similarly priced to the iPhone 5, to give you a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Hmmm I have the Bold 9900 and was thinking of upgrading to Nokia Lumia - dont know what to do now.........................

• Advertisement

I want the white one! :)

blackberry-q10-white-1-31-13.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Care? I look at the specs and the price and decide it's a ridiculously expensive for what it is and that's me done caring.
    Not bothered that it's not iOS or Android though. Every platform has enough apps as far as I can see.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Care? I look at the specs and the price and decide it's a ridiculously expensive for what it is and that's me done caring.
    Not bothered that it's not iOS or Android though. Every platform has enough apps as far as I can see.

Yeah just like all high end smartphones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yes full activesync will work without a BES server. The bis requirement has also been removed compared to old devices. Just needs a standard internet account as per other smartphones by all accounts.

This could be a big deal breaker for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

godtabh wrote: »
    This could be a big deal breaker for a lot of people

What part? All that's gone from BIS is the charge the networks charge customers and the fee blackberry collects. The same system is till their for push emaill most networks in ireland offering bill pay BIS don't charge extra for BIS for the past while (O2, Vodafone, Three)

I'm looking forward to the new devices. Just still torn about what one to get.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the new devices. Just still torn about what one to get.

Definitely the QWERTY for me. :)

Am I the only one that will miss actual call buttons and the trackpad?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

The Q looks like the only new phone that interests me, like the look of the Lumia with win8 but really dislike touchscreen-keypads. Seen on silicon republic that O2 Ireland will have the Z10 1st March & Q in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Loved blackberry for years, but they lost me when they wouldnt allow you to data access without paying the BIS charge or whatever they wanted to call it, talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

Loved blackberry for years, but they lost me when they wouldnt allow you to data access without paying the BIS charge or whatever they wanted to call it, talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

That has always been the case until now. BIS servers allow for compression and security. This results in BlackBerry devices being very data efficient. It was in my mind a fair price to pay and now we will no longer be charged for it. I think the main thing people moved from BlackBerry was because they weren't as media (gaming, apps and videos) friendly as other devices/OS's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reading the reviews, it sounds like BB10 OS itself is ahead of iOS, Android and WP in delivering a fuller OS that delivers true multi-tasking. The device itself also looks decent, but not spectacular, giving very good all-round performance. The browser seems very impressive, and the keyboard is supposed to be the best of any platform, so if apps aren't your thing, this phone could be right up your alley.

I would never have even considered Blackberry before now, but this phone offers the closest OS to replacing Maemo/Meego. I still look back at my Nokia N900 with a lot of fondness (when it broke under warranty, it was replaced by the inferior E7 that I have now).

• Advertisement

Apps are seriously overrated in my opinion. There's few that most people will use regularly (and that I want on BB10 such as whatsapp and instagram), but I've seen iPhones with tons of apps and they've never ever been used, nor will they.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cookie1977 wrote: »
    That has always been the case until now. BIS servers allow for compression and security. This results in BlackBerry devices being very data efficient. It was in my mind a fair price to pay and now we will no longer be charged for it. I think the main thing people moved from BlackBerry was because they weren't as media (gaming, apps and videos) friendly as other devices/OS's.
    That security and data efficiency is all well and good when your aiming at business clients, but the need to connect to the BIS servers was on the phones they were selling cheap on PAYG, which resulted in lots of people buying it and only finding out this problem afterwards, the poeple on this "low" end of the market did not want to be paying BIS charges every day.

But as you said, this is now changed and i will consider blackberry for my next phone, currently on a nokia lumia and couldnt be happier.

That security and data efficiency is all well and good when your aiming at business clients, but the need to connect to the BIS servers was on the phones they were selling cheap on PAYG, which resulted in lots of people buying it and only finding out this problem afterwards, the poeple on this "low" end of the market did not want to be paying BIS charges every day.

But as you said, this is now changed and i will consider blackberry for my next phone, currently on a nokia lumia and couldnt be happier.

It wasn't a problem it was by design. Some networks gouged their PAYG customers (vodafone charge 99cent per day for 50mbs) and other's not so much (O2 and Meteor 9.99 for 700mbs or 1GB data per month). It might have been that that was not explained properly to PAYG customers which is unfortunate.

PAYG BB services only really came in to being in the last few years as prior to this BlackBerry never considered them a revenue source but BBM messenger became very popular with the youth segment.

At least it'll go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

The Q10 is so,so pretty but alas, the price of the Z10 is not giving me any hope of getting it.

http://www.expansys.ie/blackberry-z10-black-242143/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

O2 UK are selling the Z10 on PAYG for £479. Very tempted!!

Of course I also very drawn to the Q10. I love my QWERTY 9900... but think most apps especially sideloaded Android apps would work far better on the fullscreen Z10..... Ahhhhh!!

expansys pricing is always very high. They still sell the playbook for over 340euro when every one else was selling them for 150-200 I usually buy the phones PAYG and get them unlocked.

http://www.expansys.ie/s.aspx?search=playbook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've played on the Z10 for about twenty minutes, it's seriously nice to use; very responsive / quick, multi tasking is brilliant and display quality amazing. There's a lot of small features built in too which made it very impressive.
    I've my upgrade in April so seriously thinking of the Q10, I'm a heavy texter & mailer so the physical keyboard appeals to me.

Depending on price the Z10 could and hopefully will be a massive game changer for RIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

reliabilty will be interesting! myself and friends all had blackberrys but there was always something going wrong or them just completly not working altogether? they need to up the stakes big time if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    What's wrong with the specs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

There's really not much that has not been done yet. BB10 basically copies from all other systems and brings nothing new to the table from what I see. Combine that with the announced intention to only license the OS in the future and not do their own hardware and you know where you're going.

Not saying they are bad phones, but nothing ground breaking. That said, if it suits you no doubt it'll be a good choice..

Advertisement