Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Blackbeery. Does any one care?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

paulheu wrote: »
    There's really not much that has not been done yet. BB10 basically copies from all other systems and brings nothing new to the table from what I see. Combine that with the announced intention to only license the OS in the future and not do their own hardware and you know where you're going.

Not saying they are bad phones, but nothing ground breaking. That said, if it suits you no doubt it'll be a good choice..

When did they say they wouldn't do their own hardware?? I think you need to check that one again as BlackBerry will continue to make their own hardware and have confirmed nothing yet about licencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

There's really not much that has not been done yet. BB10 basically copies from all other systems and brings nothing new to the table from what I see. Combine that with the announced intention to only license the OS in the future and not do their own hardware and you know where you're going.

Not saying they are bad phones, but nothing ground breaking. That said, if it suits you no doubt it'll be a good choice..

Unlike android, iOS and WP7?

The swipes and gesture control is something BB implemented very well, much better than the other big three. Everyone copies everyone but also brings something new to the table everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There's really not much that has not been done yet. BB10 basically copies from all other systems and brings nothing new to the table from what I see.
    The virtual keyboard is apparently class leading. The OS also delivers proper multi-tasking, which its competitors fail at to varying degrees (Android is mediocre, Windows Phone and Ios multi-tasking is a mess). The gesture based UI is also the most innovative that I've seen since Nokia killed Harmattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

The virtual keyboard is a virtual copy of the Windows Phone 8 one including the 'word predicting 'feature'. In general it's a good rip off from Harmattan overall with more fancy icons, but it's still mainly a phone with a grid of icons.

The gestures are hardly new and again have Haramattan all over them. Not saying it's a bad phone at all, I'd probably take it over iPhone if I had to, but it's nothing earth shattering or really new.

I really dont think you know what you're talking about. Can you please tell me what's similar between the windows phone 8 keyboad and the BB10 keyboard? I've provided videos below to help.

Windows phone 8

BB10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Sorry.. WP8 is actually ahead here. Not only does it do word completion, it also will predict the next word you will be typing for you, which btw is a patented Nokia invention also available in Nokia Belle..

Sorry.. WP8 is actually ahead here. Not only does it do word completion, it also will predict the next word you will be typing for you, which btw is a patented Nokia invention also available in Nokia Belle..

Hmmm. Clearly you dont know what you're talking about. I think I'll leave the videos to speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

I could not wait for Ireland to get this phone. I drove to the north and pick one up 2 weeks ago. A lot of people here in Dublin have been asking me about it. When I show it off people are impressed. I am very happy with it. Just had to pay £480 is the only thing that sucks about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And Swiftkey (and other similar keyboards) on Android trounces both.

Not only is the prediction better, but you can customise the layout of the KB to suit as well. While the WP8 keyboard (coupled with the larger screen of the Ativ S) is a lot better than it was, it still lags far behind the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The Z10 is a fantastic piece of kit. Being using one since January (from a Galaxy S III, and iPhone before that) and could never see myself going back. Had never used a BlackBerry for any great amount of time beforehand, so no brand loyalty there

• Advertisement

jossul1179 wrote: »
    I could not wait for Ireland to get this phone. I drove to the north and pick one up 2 weeks ago. A lot of people here in Dublin have been asking me about it. When I show it off people are impressed. I am very happy with it. Just had to pay £480 is the only thing that sucks about it.

So what's it like. I hope to get it in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

cookie1977 wrote: »
    So what's it like. I hope to get it in the next month or so.

I am very happy with it. I was also surprised that when I show it off to Iphone and Android users, a lot of them are jealous.
    The app count is a little low, with some big name app not coming out until mid march, like Whatsapp and Skype. Though everyday there are a lot of new apps available.
    I would say to that anyone that is looking to get a new phone should check the Z10 out. The best Keyboard, best Multitasking, great browser.
    I would have waited because O2 i think is getting the phone March 1st, But after the phone announced I ask both 02 and Vodafone and neither had a clue what I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I cannot wait to get my hands on a Q10!! :)

Definitely going for the black one. Been waiting longer than I care to remember for this phone!

Some of the smaller features look very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I cannot wait to get my hands on a Q10!! :)

Definitely going for the black one. Been waiting longer than I care to remember for this phone!

Some of the smaller features look very cool.

I'm tempted to move from my Z10 to the Q10 having previously had a 9900. However I carried out an experiment yesterday to see if I could type faster / more accurately on the 9900 or the Z10. If the 9900 won then I would seriously consider the Q10. The result: The Z10 won hands down. So I think I'll stick to the Z10 for the moment. I would like some hands on time with the Q10 when it comes out though. It looks like it will an awesome device.

I'm tempted to move from my Z10 to the Q10 having previously had a 9900. However I carried out an experiment yesterday to see if I could type faster / more accurately on the 9900 or the Z10. If the 9900 won then I would seriously consider the Q10. The result: The Z10 won hands down. So I think I'll stick to the Z10 for the moment. I would like some hands on time with the Q10 when it comes out though. It looks like it will an awesome device.

Was there much of a difference?

I'd sacrifice a couple of seconds for the Q10. I just love the form factor of the QWERTY devices.

How are you finding battery life on the Z10?

The Q10 comes with a 2100mAh battery so just trying to gauge how long I'd get out of it. I understand the Z10's is 1800mAh...

Was there much of a difference?

I'd sacrifice a couple of seconds for the Q10. I just love the form factor of the QWERTY devices.

How are you finding battery life on the Z10?

The Q10 comes with a 2100mAh battery so just trying to gauge how long I'd get out of it. I understand the Z10's is 1800mAh...

I was actually surprised at the difference. I would put the Z10 at being about 20% faster and more accurate. Apparently the Z10 10.1 update expected to be released in the next week or two is being keyboard improvements again.

The battery life on the Z10 is perfectly acceptable for me. It would be ideal if another 10-20% efficiency could be scrapped out of it. I can safely get 7am-10pm out of an overnight charge. Turning off the gestures for waking the device saves a lot of juice. I have my Z10 in one of the official pouches during the day which also saves juice as it automatically turns off the screen and prevents accidental activation.

There is hardly any doubt that the Q10 will have a longer stand-by/talk time per charge. You're spot on with the battery capacities above. That combined with the smaller screen on the Q10 should keep you going significantly longer.

Fully agree with the form factor and BlackBerry QWERTY devices. They just feel so right in the hand. Though after having had a number of iPhones and Android devices in the past I can say that the look and feel of the Z10 is the best of any touchscreen device I've handled.

Actually, does anyone use a Blackberry on Three?

I was thinking of moving to Three, but they don't even appear to sell BB's...surely they support them though?

Yes they do support them on bill pay and they don't charge extra for BIS. They are also bringing the Z10 to the network too.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes they do support them on bill pay and they don't charge extra for BIS. They are also bringing the Z10 to the network too.

Not on prepay though?

Not on prepay though?

Not on pre pay, no.

• Advertisement

Not on prepay though?

I picked mine up new from an established merchant on Amazon and had it shipped via Parcel Motel. It was locked to T-Mobile UK so I used an unlocking company to get a unlock code. Total cost was about €450. Over €100 less than buying off an Irish network and now unlocked to any network.

Yeah I'm not sure where I'm going to purchase the Q10 from yet.

Will probably move off my current 'deal' regardless.

The eMobile one looks good - 32e pm free everything! :)

Engadget Q10 review for anyone interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/blackberry-q10-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Got my hands on a dev model Q10 to play with last week for an hour or so.

WOW! loved it cant wait to get one. Very responsive touch screen good resolution too, wont be watching films on it mind you but still read a number of articles on websites and it was perfectly acceptable.

Sound quality was crystal clear even on skype over wifi it was really clear. like the BB Hub the idea that's it's all just there.

The developer told me he is getting about a day and half out of the battery but does have some of the usual bells and whistles switched off.

Only drawback found my finger looking for the trackpad that's no longer there but i'm sure that's just something that has evolved over time a BB induced repetitive strain ;).

Buttons are back people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I have to say, the Q10 looks the business. I am not at all surprised that these phones are selling out.

Advertisement