Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I buy non farmed salmon ?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi.

It's torture trying to find "proper" salmon, ie non farmed, and especially tinned.

Too many companies using slick/sly wording on their products for farmed salmon to suggest it's wild.

Can anyone recommend a non farmed tinned salmon please and where to get it ?

I'm also happy to hear suggestion regarding where and when to buy non farmed fresh (not tinned) salmon.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

fangee wrote: »
    Hi.
    I'm also happy to hear suggestion regarding where and when to buy non farmed fresh (not tinned) salmon.

Thanks.

A fishmonger.

Wild Salmon is not available all year. Its only available at certain times. I think the season starts in May. Ask any fishmonger when they will have wild salmon.

Given how expensive it is, it's not that surprising that no-one tins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

huskerdu wrote: »
    Given how expensive it is, it's not that surprising that no-one tins it.

You, can get tinned wild salmon but it will be Pacific salmon caught off the coast of Alaska, Atlantic wild salmon is more expensive and not normally tinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

You can buy frozen wild salmon portions in lidl or aldi. It hails from the us. You can also buy pacific tinned wild salmon in pretty much any major supermarket chain e.g. John west wild red salmon or ocean rise wild pink salmon.

If you can't stretch to the wild stuff fresh, it is very expensive, you could look at buying organic salmon instead of the run of the mill farmed salmon. It has lower stocking densities in the cages and they use a tighter regime on chemicals to keep the fish healthy. Most of the organic cages are located in open water n the west coast so I find the flesh is less fatty and firmer.

I wouldn't be the biggest salmon fan but these are the ways I buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

SBWife wrote: »
    You, can get tinned wild salmon but it will be Pacific salmon caught off the coast of Alaska, Atlantic wild salmon is more expensive and not normally tinned.

Can you recommend a specific brand and product ?

Ddad wrote: »
    You can buy frozen wild salmon portions in lidl or aldi. It hails from the us. You can also buy pacific tinned wild salmon in pretty much any major supermarket chain e.g. John west wild red salmon or ocean rise wild pink salmon.

If you can't stretch to the wild stuff fresh, it is very expensive, you could look at buying organic salmon instead of the run of the mill farmed salmon. It has lower stocking densities in the cages and they use a tighter regime on chemicals to keep the fish healthy. Most of the organic cages are located in open water n the west coast so I find the flesh is less fatty and firmer.

I wouldn't be the biggest salmon fan but these are the ways I buy it.

Thanks for the info as it's really tinned I'm after.

I didn't know about the frozen option so thanks for that too.

I didn't think the USA has wild salmon I thought they mostly farmed and that British Columbia was the only possible wild option ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I didn't think the USA has wild salmon I thought they mostly farmed and that British Columbia was the only possible wild option ?

80% of North Pacific wild salmon is caught by Alaska boats, 15% by those from BC, and the remaining 5% from Washington and Oregon states.

SBWife wrote: »
    80% of North Pacific wild salmon is caught by Alaska boats, 15% by those from BC, and the remaining 5% from Washington and Oregon states.

Thanks.

So it's fair to assume the frozen salmon in aldi is not farmed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thanks.

So it's fair to assume the frozen salmon in aldi is not farmed ?

The pacific stock is huge and the need to farming is minimal so I'd imagine there'd be feck all farmed pacific salmon.

Advertisement