Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing A1 posters?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know of any good places to print out an A1 poster?

The quality of the print is important, although the price is not.

Thanks!`

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I had to look after a few posters for the postgrad students where I work and we used Nolan Print. We got the bones of 30 posters (A0 and A1) done over the past two years for different events and no hassle with the quality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In general, posters are always printed on the same paper weight - for indoor use anyway. I noticed posters in the past for outdoor use can be a bit different per printer. But you can get a considerable difference in price between various printers and depending on the quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

I see Sully is in promoting his own business ;)

In fairness I cannot comment on anything good or bad about his business as I have not tried it yet but the one place I have tried is up in DesignPrinthouse on Barrack Street - I always come out of there with nothing less than top class service.
    PM me if you need contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Ask this guy:
    http://advertis.ie/wp/?page_id=35
    He's polish, so low price, high quality:)

• Advertisement

I don't do printing but I generally get the best rates on printing (bulk printing in particular, 9/10 cheaper than anybody in Waterford) because of the amount of stuff I send to print :)

kaef wrote: »
    He's polish, so low price, high quality:)

I didnt realise that being polish made you better at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Over the years I've used http://www.waterfordswiftprint.com/ for posters, cards, album covers and always been very pleased with the quality and price. They are not a print agency so your work is actually done by the company rather than farmed out as a few places in town do.

old gregg wrote: »
    Over the years I've used http://www.waterfordswiftprint.com/ for posters, cards, album covers and always been very pleased with the quality and price. They are not a print agency so your work is actually done by the company rather than farmed out as a few places in town do.

Its farmed out for two reasons;
    1) They don't have the setup to print large quantities and so it goes to a trade printer that deals in bulk printing (most printers in Ireland do this). I can't remember Swifts setup, but they can probably handle some bulk orders.

2) They do very little printing services so they use another printer in the area who does. For example, some printers don't do the pull up banners but they do general smaller quantity prints. So if you go looking for a pull up banner, they go to another printer that does it.

Its taken a lot of searching but I am very comfortable with the trade printers and local printers I use so that they are offering the best price and the same quality. When your in the business of sending a lot of designs to print, you need to be assured your getting a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

There are really only two places in Waterford (maybe three) that can print huge bulk orders on their own premises and last I heard one of those had to sell their large printing press.

Just because you may use a company that might farm out large orders doesn't mean you're not shopping local, you're still supporting a local printers who are employing local people. Large print houses like Walsh Graphics in Kerry, Kilkenny Print, Quinn's of Belfast or Intacta Print, Waterford in most cases won't deal with Joe Bloggs coming in off the street anyway, that's why you're better off dealing with a smaller company who may have a designer that can get you exactly what you want and deal with the large fish for you.

And like Sully said, most of the smaller printers in Waterford will use the aforementioned two or three large-quantity printer houses where possible. A lot depends on price these days.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Its farmed out for two reasons;
    1) They don't have the setup to print large quantities and so it goes to a trade printer that deals in bulk printing (most printers in Ireland do this). I can't remember Swifts setup, but they can probably handle some bulk orders.

2) They do very little printing services so they use another printer in the area who does. For example, some printers don't do the pull up banners but they do general smaller quantity prints. So if you go looking for a pull up banner, they go to another printer that does it.

Its taken a lot of searching but I am very comfortable with the trade printers and local printers I use so that they are offering the best price and the same quality. When your in the business of sending a lot of designs to print, you need to be assured your getting a good deal.

Yes I understand the reasons why there are companies in Waterford who sell themselves as Printers yet are actually just agencies sometimes farming the work out to foreign companies if it's cheapest. Swiftprint are one of a small few local companies who have actually invested hugely in the equipment required to take on large jobs.

Yes I understand the reasons why there are companies in Waterford who sell themselves as Printers yet are actually just agencies sometimes farming the work out to foreign companies if it's cheapest. Swiftprint are one of a small few local companies who have actually invested hugely in the equipment required to take on large jobs.

Sorry Gregg, I'll just have to respond to a couple of thing in your post, with all due respect of course:
    there are companies in Waterford who sell themselves as Printers yet are actually just agencies
    Companies market themselves as printers because they are printers. Not a whole lot of money to be made as an agency I would think. In my experience work is passed onto a 'trade printer' when the quantity is either: too big for their own equipment; too time consuming for a smaller company; or customer requires a better quality finish than a standard printer allows.
    farming the work out to foreign companies if it's cheapest
    Again, I've rarely seen people go foreign, different province maybe, but going foreign incurs postage & packaging charges along with a longer turnaround time which is a hard sell to a customer!
    Swiftprint are one of a small few local companies who have actually invested hugely in the equipment required to take on large jobs
    That's good to see, but it's important to shop around for quotes as owning/leasing large machines like those can incur repair and loan costs which may be reflected in the price you get from a company. Not saying Swift Print do, just pointing out that it's important to shop around.

Not trying to say you're wrong, just that your post read to me that you were maybe saying some small printers were 'hiding' how they did business and maybe misleading customers, which is not always the case! :)

It's all good Jason Todd and nothing there that I'd throw my toys out of the pram over :p

With the foreign outsourcing, I'd have encountered that with CD Digipacks mostly because it's a job I need done every 12 months or so with releases.

No aspersions on any local company except for one agency (no way I'd name them) who have made a mission out of actively targeting those local printers who do invest in equipment and contacting their customers to undercut them. Then again, the same company are now doing the rounds as web designers too.

It's all good Jason Todd and nothing there that I'd throw my toys out of the pram over :p

With the foreign outsourcing, I'd have encountered that with CD Digipacks mostly because it's a job I need done every 12 months or so with releases.

No aspersions on any local company except for one agency (no way I'd name them) who have made a mission out of actively targeting those local printers who do invest in equipment and contacting their customers to undercut them. Then again, the same company are now doing the rounds as web designers too.

Great, and yes, point taken about the CD's!

I'd love to know who you're talking about but I won't ask you to name them, but if it's the same people I'm thinking of I'm then in complete agreement with you, would never ever recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebabycow

Can we please stay on topic and not self advertise and have some actual info about printing.

I want to print 1 x A1 POSTER for college, Thank you.

thebabycow wrote: »
    Can we please stay on topic and not self advertise and have some actual info about printing.

Sully has a twin :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Nolan Print would definitely be worth a shout. I saw a flyer for them in WIT advertising student specials on posters, theses, etc.

I've used them, both for work and personally and everything went perfectly.

First off, welcome to boards! Secondly, no-one was advertising themselves, thirdly, the discussion was informative about printing, fourth, if you want actual info about printing, how about you ask an actual question?

Oh, and moderators use bold and tell people to stay on topic, not newbies with one post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebabycow

Jason Todd wrote: »
    First off, welcome to boards! Secondly, no-one was advertising themselves, thirdly, the discussion was informative about printing, fourth, if you want actual info about printing, how about you ask an actual question?

Oh, and moderators use bold and tell people to stay on topic, not newbies with one post ;)

First Im not new im the original poster, just asked another guy to post the question, second, read the question, it was nothing to do what was original asked. so yea, don't be so .. when you see someone with one post

First Im not new im the original poster, just asked another guy to post the question, second, read the question, it was nothing to do what was original asked. so yea, don't be so .. when you see someone with one post

Fight Fight Fight Fight wooooooooo!!!!!

• Advertisement

Keep Calm. Moderator Sully is here. :)

(No seriously, keep calm).

There are loads of options for printers with some recommendations already given here. A full detailed explanation has been given of how the system works. Don't believe the spin "We never farm out" either.

So best of luck in your quote finding mission!

Listen buddy, your first post was the equivalent of walking into someones house that you barely know and telling them to get their feet off the coffee table and demanding a cup of tea!

We're not mind readers, if you had explained that you were the original OP and were unsatisfied with the few options already put in front of you, you might have got a better response.

Examples of businesses that print A1 posters:
    Swift Print
    Disc & Print Centre
    Nolan Print
    Walsh Print
    Astral @ The Book Centre*

Prices may vary, worth a call to get a few quotes and find out what paper each crowd prints on.

*possibly

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Listen buddy, your first post was the equivalent of walking into someones house that you barely know and telling them to get their feet off the coffee table and demanding a cup of tea!

We're not mind readers, if you had explained that you were the original OP and were unsatisfied with the few options already put in front of you, you might have got a better response.

Examples of businesses that print A1 posters:
    Swift Print
    Disc & Print Centre
    Nolan Print
    Walsh Print
    Astral @ The Book Centre*

Prices may vary, worth a call to get a few quotes and find out what paper each crowd prints on.

*possibly

DesignPrinthouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Sam McCauley's have an A1 printer, and will print in good quality paper.

PM me if more details needed.

(To return to the original question!)

A.

Advertisement