Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the annual expenses tax free

Options
  • 31-01-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, thinking of joining the garda reserve but working full time just wondering is the annual allowance tax free and would I be taxed more in my job ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

if thats your first question about the GR than you obviously arnt in it for the right reason!

i dont think anyone joins the reserve for financial gain

but to answer your question, yes its taxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

WilcoOut wrote: »
    yes its taxed

Interesting , subject to the usual Tax at normal % , PRSI and USC I would imagine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it not overpaid to ensure you come out with the flat rate allowance after deductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ThisWillShow

thanks for your reply WilcoOut id say your some crack . The reason I was interested in joining was doing something good for my area, but I am obviously not going to volunteer to something that is going to cause me to be at a loss(giving up weekends going to templemore, petrol money etc). The government gets enough of my wages as it is. I will give my services to another voluntery service on volunteer.ie. Thanks again to all replys

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

The Garda Reserve allowance is tax free. You are overpaid to an amount which leaves you with a net pay of €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

The reason I was interested in joining was doing something good for my area, but I am obviously not going to volunteer to something that is going to cause me to be at a loss(giving up weekends going to templemore, petrol money etc).

i think the whole concept of volunteerism has been lost on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

thanks for your reply WilcoOut id say your some crack . The reason I was interested in joining was doing something good for my area, but I am obviously not going to volunteer to something that is going to cause me to be at a loss(giving up weekends going to templemore, petrol money etc). The government gets enough of my wages as it is. I will give my services to another voluntery service on volunteer.ie. Thanks again to all replys

If this little issue puts you off then another voluntary organisation is probably a better fit for you.

There are plenty of people who want to join as Reserves because they want to support Policing as opposed to just wanting something good to do in their spare time.

Other issues you may want to consider are that as a GR one may need to take time off work for court and I believe training is now on weekdays in Templemore. Also its quite likely to regularly get pushed/shoved/spat on/abused and will often be in distressing situations involving cruelty/neglect/abuse and even death.

As such I'm sure a long serving GR like Wilcoout was offering his informed view on how a tax on a volunteering allowance is probably the least important issue faced by GRs, and is not going to be particularly bothered about being considered "some Craic".

Advertisement