Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans of Devin Townsend ..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is it with Meshuggah? And Periphery? Like the London show:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oooooooohhhhhhhh Jesus I'm awfully excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Mushy wrote: »
    Is it with Meshuggah? And Periphery? Like the London show:-)

I'll link ye to the ebay auction of my arm and leg which will be given for him to come over with Meshuggah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

OP, as mod I must insist that you tell us this news immediately, or expect a ban ;)

I missed the last gig he played here and was absolutely gutted :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Someone on Metal Ireland said after a response from Devin's drummer on Twitter that an Irish show isn't happening and that the London show is just a one-off. If this turns out to be true it's very bad form from Phantom FM and the OP since pretty much all of this speculation regarding an Irish date emerged from this thread.

Edit: I realized the post on Metal Ireland regarding their drummer was followed by a few others (didn't read the page number) saying it could still be possible, which I hope it is, but previous point still stands. I hope everyone's hopes aren't built up for nothing!

• Advertisement

Someone on Metal Ireland said after a response from Devin's drummer on Twitter that an Irish show isn't happening and that the London show is just a one-off. If this turns out to be true it's very bad form from Phantom FM and the OP since pretty much all of this speculation regarding an Irish date emerged from this thread.

Edit: I realized the post on Metal Ireland regarding their drummer was followed by a few others (didn't read the page number) saying it could still be possible, which I hope it is, but previous point still stands. I hope everyone's hopes aren't built up for nothing!

It could be that the London show is a one-off with Meshuggah. Doesnt mean a whole tour. Poster for that London show is class.

Mushy wrote: »
    Poster for that London show is class.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Wouldn't be surprised (but would be delighted) if we get a DT and Periphery show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm in a situation I never thought could happen. Not enough money to fly over to London, but would love to, so trying to talk my son (a major DT fan) into saving up to take his old dad over to see Meshuggah. Jeez, I paid for us to go the Retinal Circus so it's the least he can do. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If Meshuggah make it to Dublin, I'll freak out. Devin Townsend on top of it isn't a bad way to close out the night :).

There's no way we'll get the London show. There isn't even really a venue to put it in. We're more likely to get 2 seperate headline shows. We won't though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 spoderman01

Hi, that was me that got the tweet from Ryan.

His answer in full was "Haven't heard anything about that, man. Don't think it's happening. It's a one-off show from what I've been told. Sorry man".

I'm just living in hope that he DOES know about it but couldn't say anything before it was announced .

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ray mcgowan

Announcement coming up shortly ..

Saturday 4th May, €23, Academy, on sale Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sat 4th May at The Academy. Tickets at 23Euro on sale this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Wow, he was right. :D

Devin Townsend Project,
    Sat 4th May
    Academy
    Tickets e23

Tickets on sale this Friday 9am.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lovely!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Devy was unreal last time we saw him, would love to see him again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Hmmmm, this may clash with exams I have around that time. I hope not though, I'd love to go to this!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

xerces wrote: »
    Hmmmm, this may clash with exams I have around that time. I hope not though, I'd love to go to this!
    It's a saturday if you can spare a couple of hours for the night ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

It's a saturday if you can spare a couple of hours for the night ;)

I'm just after checking and they don't start until the 9th so I'm in, woot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Great show as always last night, finally got to see Kingdom live but I wonder why Anneke wasn't there again though.

Numina wrote: »
    Great show as always last night, finally got to see Kingdom live but I wonder why Anneke wasn't there again though.

She was only at the London show the day before Dublin on this tour. I assume she only does special shows seen as she's touring with her own stuff the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Great show, I'd have to say. Devin is one of the most charismatic, entertaining and hilarious ("My armpits smell like a hooker's anus. Actually, no, that's misogynistic. A drifter's anus!") frontmen I've ever seen.

All in all, I didn't think the setlist was fantastic (Planet of the Apes in particular dragged) but I'd definitely go see him if he ever came back.

The humuorous visuals are a nice touch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Most flamboyant hand gestures ever
    And the socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

It must just be me but i thought that this gig was a serious case of going through the motions.....i adore Devin Townsend but it all just felt like the dublin show was a bit of an after thought....Im thinking in future its worth my while to go to the UK and get the proper show...more expensive i know but in the end id be happier!

You think that he puts all his energy into a show in the UK but everywhere else is a mere afterthought?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Passenger wrote: »
    You think that he puts all his energy into a show in the UK but everywhere else is a mere afterthought?

Well im not getting at Devin on his own....he's still a great entertainer and obviously everyone can have an off night. But i do think that the UK shows would be better than what we get, as an example in dublin we got a video back drop for a mesuggah track....in london they got meshggah...no fair!

In dublin we got 4 maybe 5 tracks from epicloud...its selfish i know but i wanted more and thought i would get it since its the album they were touring..in London they got Anneke....a once off i know but still it cool stuff that they get that we do not.

Also Dave Young look so unbelievably bored you would think it was no fun to be up there!

Of course the real explanation for all of this is that im getting old..too old...maybe ill just stay at home and wait for the dvd:D

Well I've yet to attend a Devin show abroad so I've nothing to compare the Dublin performances to but IMO he put on a good show.

I went to the gig with the setlist memorised from the UK shows so I'd know exactly what to expect but it was a different setlist to the shows he performed over there. So maybe you have a point when you say the UK gets a more comprehensive Devy. The Meshuggah/Anneke appearances were just once offs, simple as that. I'd imagine their appearances on stage were an act of consequential convenience as they hardly traveled all the way from Sweden/Holland just to appear with Devy for one show and not do any more on the tour.

• Advertisement

It could just be that the big show with Anneke was the day before the Dublin one. Maybe he just wasn't as into after playing the bigger gig.
    It's the end of the touring cycle as well, so he could just be looking forward to a break in general (as his Twitter would indicate).

That said, I had a great time at the gig and felt he was on good form

Advertisement