Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dallas

Options
  • 31-01-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Heading to Dallas in the summer, will be there for three months, just looking for ideas for things to do.

Also will be traveling for a month after my three month stay , any must see in the surrounding area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

3 months in Dallas?

Doing what? A job? What does "looking for things to do" mean?

I've never heard much good about Dallas. Or Houston either. Is there any particular reason you picked texas? Its not the most welcoming of places.

Austin has a reputation as being a bit of a party town though but thats really because of the college I think. And maybe because of the staid conservative reputation of the other places.

What to see in Texas? The Alamo in San Antonio.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Johnson Space Centre (NASA) in Houston is well worth a visit. Houston is an oil city but the hotels are dirt cheap at weekends. Only problem is that the streets are deserted at night - everyone drives everywhere in Texas and in a city like Houston with almost no city centre to talk about, the car is king and pedestrians come second. Don't plan on wandering out on foot from your hotel on Saturday night.

I lived in an apartment hotel in Austin once and there was no sidewalks at all in the area so in order to get to the local convenience store 200m away, I had the choice of either driving, walking on the actual road or walking through private gardens (all of which stretched right down to the road). I drove everywhere though as it was summer with the temperature above 100F (40C) most days, you really didn't have a choice in the daytime.

Downtown Austin has a good buzz about it, it's an older city with a huge university (of Texas) and it's the state capital so there's plenty of nightlife. Houston by comparison is completely dead at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I didn't really like Dallas. There isn't that much to do there. One thing which was worth seeing was where JFK was assasinated.

coylemj wrote: »
    I lived in an apartment hotel in Austin once and there was no sidewalks at all in the area so in order to get to the local convenience store 200m away, I had the choice of either driving, walking on the actual road or walking through private gardens (all of which stretched right down to the road).

LA is like that too, a lot of places are accessible only by car/vehicle.

Americans dont like to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Visited Dallas once, JFK thing good but could not think of any reason to go back.

On your way down to San Antonio, New Braunfels, water parks and lakes there are good, very popular, mainly because Texas in summer is very hot, like people in Ireland just do not comprehend.
    Lived there and always told folks from Ireland not to visit between May and October.

Austin, great night life, restaurants, as is a huge university and technology town. up around lake Travis great watersports and bars, restaurants etc.

San Antonio, interesting old historic city, very old by US standards. Alamo makes a memorable visit, Good nightlife, restaurants. Sea World Texas out the road a bit is good.

5/6 Hours down to Houston, about an hour more to the Gulf Coast, Nasa, Galveston, defiantly worth a weekend.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's a huge amusement park called Six Flags Over Texas, it's midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Ask the locals when you get there to see if it's worth visiting, I was there many years ago.

http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/info/directions.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭doddly

If I got the chance to go Denver shud I, ill be going Dallas for work but get a month to travel before I have to return home, thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I spent a month in the Dallas area a few years ago with work and I agree on most of the above. Not a lot to do and car is king, you have to drive everywhere!
    Southfork (where JR Ewing lived) is kinda worth a quick visit if you were a fan of the show but there's not much to it either, it's not even that big a house!

doddly wrote: »
    If I got the chance to go Denver shud I, ill be going Dallas for work but get a month to travel before I have to return home, thanks for the replies

Yes. Defiantly.

New Orleans too. Its an amazing city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Not a whole lot to do in Dallas I'm afraid! JFK museum is OK. Six flags is great, if thats your thing. I liked the stockyards area of Fort Worth too!

Austin a great place for a weekend, the best party city i have been to in the USA

Its hot and very humid in Dallas in the summer. I was here in July and it was 38-42'C all the time. It was fine for me though as I had been living in Phoenix where it had been 45+ for week before. You'll acclimatise but its tough initially

• Advertisement
Advertisement