Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB file recovery help :S

Options
  • 31-01-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I think this is the right board to be messaging in...

Im looking for any help at all with a USB I have. Iv had it since I started college and havent used it in good while but over the years have stored some valuable stuff I made in college (Media student).

I went to back-up these files on my laptop recently but I keep being asked to reformat the USB first which I know basically means wipe the whole thing and lose all my files :(

Im hoping someone can help me on here as I really dont want to lose what I have on this USB. Iv tried the program Recuva but to no avail and was hoping someone on here can help me in any software I could try using or is it a lost cause?

Also the USB is a San Disk Cruzer M3 if I remember correctly... Any information would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You say you were a media student, it isn't formatted using a Mac format is it?

The Cruzer used to come with software which had to be installed and you had to enter a username and password to access it. I can't remember what it was called I had it on one but I uninstalled it and reformatted it as I wanted to make use of it as a bootable USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crowther15

FSL wrote: »
    You say you were a media student, it isn't formatted using a Mac format is it?

The Cruzer used to come with software which had to be installed and you had to enter a username and password to access it. I can't remember what it was called I had it on one but I uninstalled it and reformatted it as I wanted to make use of it as a bootable USB.

No its never even been used on a Mac ever...

Yea it did come with a CD but it was never installed and its long gone by now ha It never stopped it working before though :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried it in different USB ports and on other machines. USB sticks can sometimes be temperamental.

If you do manage to read it copy everything straight away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You could try something like Knoppix to see and remove the data. Saved my bacon a few times. There is a little fix to get it to display in English at boot up just type... knoppix lang=us
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=11&gs_id=3d&xhr=t&q=Knoppix+in+English&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Knoppix+in+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.ZG4&fp=5d6406786c45cbbc&biw=1280&bih=617

• Advertisement

Every time I try to click into it, I get the error message:

"The volume does not contain a recognized file system
    Pleas make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted"

Anyone any ideas?

Have you tried chkdsk.exe?

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Have you tried chkdsk.exe?

Yea I have it still saying it needs to be formatted when I try to :S

Have you looked in "Disk Management" (Win7)
    I suspect it just says RAW.

the link I posted above concerns a person with the same problem as yourself.

He seems to have sorted it with software he found at

http://www.squidoo.com/usb-drive-raw-recovery

I think it's a one day trial so if you install it tonight you better try it straight away.

I can't vouch for the software but it's a lead in any case.
    (use at your own risk)

As Happyman suggested you could try burning a live linux distro just to see what Linux makes of what it can see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You could try a combination of Testdisk to rebuild the partitions if possible or PhotoRec to recover all the files if possible. Both these tools are free and very effective. Generally this error starts happening if the USB Key is taken out without following the "Safely Remove Hardware" procedure and ejecting the drive. It could also be the flash memory has failed

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Another option would be using paid software:
    http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/
    Its excellent software and never lets me down when partitions show up as RAW.

If you like you can post the key to me and I will run a scan on it with the above software.

PM me if you want.

Advertisement