Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless USB apters

Options
  • 31-01-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to get good reliable Wireless USB adapters.

Basically we're getting a touchscreen display in work and ideally we would like the computer it is running off a bit away from the machine. So it would be a cable run of around 15m for active USB cables but Ideally if I could get a wireless USB connection to it, it would be preferable.

So anyone know of any decent products out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I thought most USB wireless dongles were for network connections as opposed to a usb attached device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

FSL wrote: »
    I thought most USB wireless dongles were for network connections as opposed to a usb attached device.

hence the question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

see http://www.tvtrade.ie/networking/homeplugs.html?gclid=COLZrKzCk7UCFbA92wod6xUAxg
    i got a wifi usb unit, works ok,never used it over 20ft range.
    A powerline unit network better for 20metre,
    plug one end into router, other end into pc ethernet port.ITS much faster than wifi signal.
    my wifi unit is reliable,i think the range is 25 ft approx.
    Theres also powerline plugs that have wifi senders on the reciever end, that would provide wifi to 3 or more pcs .
    POWERLINE units need to be on the same electrical wire ring/ circuit as the sending powerline unit.
    see http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Access/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=pd_sim_computers_3
    for 1 pc, just get a powerline ethernet ,to ethernet unit,
    eg not a powerline wifi unit
    the wifi usb unit i used ,worked just the same as any wifi pc reciever,
    its just i had no wifi chip in that laptop ,so i bought a usb dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

hence the question

I don't think you can get a unit. I was looking for a rugged touch screen which would wirelessly connect to a PC but couldn't find a suitable unit any where. There are one or two but they are ridiculously expensive and quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SEE here ,
    wireless usb,range 30ft,http://techreport.com/review/21281/diamond-vstream-wireless-hdmi-adapter
    ,maybe use wireless hdmi, if pc ,screen both have hdmi, in/out.
    Check the range before you buy any units.
    i would have thought you,d need a cable from pc to screen, to transmit , the touch,input, commands ,
    i could be wrong.I,M not an expert in touch screen technology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement