Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q to close

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

homolumo wrote: »
    More jobs gone if restructuring goes ahead. Huge loss to that retail park.#

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0131/365509-examiner-appointed-to-diy-chain-bq-ireland/
    ''Based on management's forecasts and the company's current trading performance, it is proposed that at least two stores, Athlone and Waterford, will be closed. In addition, most of the other stores will require the agreement, by individual landlords, of substantially improved terms. In light of the required change to terms, management consider it likely that a further two stores will be closed,'' today's statement added.

We just can't catch a break here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

They didnt say they were closing, just that they were entering examinership, I think they are trying to force rental costs down, heard something like that, they have huge losses here but they arent closing just yet.

Whitfield clinic have also entered examinership but they are still making money its just the previous owner had wracked up massive debts, but they are operating(pardon the pun) now making profits/doing well and looking for a new owner!

Hoping they are going to be okay but think they are another victim of the housing market collapse!

How many people are employed in B+Q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

How many people are employed in B+Q?

I think it's 690 across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Always thought they were better and busier than the ghost town that homebase resembles most of the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

The jobs in Waterford and Athlone based stores could be in jeopardy.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0131/breaking21.html
    DIY chain B&Q Ireland Ltd has been placed into interim examinership following a hearing at the High Court this afternoon.

This gives the company protection against its creditors for up to 100 days while the DIY chain attempts to restructure the business and formulate a survival plan to put the business back on a viable financial footing.

Declan McDonald of PwC has been appointed as interim examiner.

Under a proposed restructuring, stores in Athlone and Waterford – which employ 92 staff between them - would close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Homebase would want to be counting it's lucky stars.

Argos I hear also in big trouble.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sad news, so even if B&Q is saved its likely Waterford is gone anyway,

I think one of the nails in Waterford's coffin when it comes to B&Q was the moving of TK Maxx, atleast thats my view. Always figured would have gotten more business with TK Maxx beside it as it makes it a more attractive destination for say a couple shopping,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Partizan wrote: »
    Argos I hear also in big trouble.

Argos are closing alot of stores in the uk and the likes because they need to compete with online retailers and its cheaper do online ordering then have stores.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/argos-planning-to-close-up-to-75-stores-647339-Oct2012/

Cabaal wrote: »
    Argos are closing alot of stores in the uk and the likes because they need to compete with online retailers and its cheaper do online ordering then have stores.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/argos-planning-to-close-up-to-75-stores-647339-Oct2012/

Which will likely affect stores here.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sad news, so even if B&Q is saved its likely Waterford is gone anyway,

I think one of the nails in Waterford's coffin when it comes to B&Q was the moving of TK Maxx, atleast thats my view. Always figured would have gotten more business with TK Maxx beside it as it makes it a more attractive destination for say a couple shopping,

Completely agree with you, HATE shopping in TK MAX now, it was much better where it was and had more to offer, Im sure they had a larger work force out in butlerstown retail park, and if B+Q Close i reckon more will leave that park, its really scary the knock on affect closures have.

I dont know why TK Max left, well apart from the obvious breaking rules of their licence but surely some sort of permission could have been sought afterwards, Dont really shop there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Completely agree with you, HATE shopping in TK MAX now, it was much better where it was and had more to offer, Im sure they had a larger work force out in butlerstown retail park, and if B+Q Close i reckon more will leave that park, its really scary the knock on affect closures have.

I dont know why TK Max left, well apart from the obvious breaking rules of their licence but surely some sort of permission could have been sought afterwards, Dont really shop there anymore

So you do know then?

"I dont know why TK Max left, well apart from the obvious "

Ha ha yeah i do:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A lot of businesses can't seem to survive in Waterford but operate okay a half an hour up the road in Kilkenny. Very sad to read another business has decided to pull out of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

More bad news for Waterford, more jobs , income and confidence gone
    How much more can we afford to lose, government aint going to do much only coast to their pension pots

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    More bad news for Waterford, more jobs , income and confidence gone
    How much more can we afford to lose, government aint going to do much only coast to their pension pots

B&Q would have gone even if the government worked for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

not nice to see the closure of the waterford store but it will be far more beneficial for our town to see a locally owned hardware stores and local kitchen and bathroom providers thrive now that B&Q will be gone,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its a massive store, would be hard to find another retailer to go into a building that big.

not nice to see the closure of the waterford store but it will be far more beneficial for our town to see a locally owned hardware stores and local kitchen and bathroom providers thrive now that B&Q will be gone,

In the current economic climate it will NOT be Beneficial in any way shape or form chances are there wont be anybody stepping into that void, maybe woodies will be smiling and other small fish but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That depends on prices, quality, range etc of goods provided by a local store.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    That depends on prices, quality, range etc of goods provided by a local store.

How many tile places are there in waterford? how many builders suppliers are there? how many hardwares? theres still alot and theres still a less demand, were just losing a company that employs made 40 people thats 40 families and it WILL have a knock on effect on that retail park in terms of footfall, There will almost certainly be more closures of english multinationals

Looks deffo anyway that the Waterford branch will close, it was on the radio earlier that 2 branches will close. what does B+Q stand for anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Richard Block and David Quayle were the two men who started up this company in England. B&Q
    Shame to see this palace go but it hasn't been doing well for a long time. I never saw a big crowd in there. Feel very sorry for the staff there.
    It isn't that long ago that Brooks closed down, there is an air of desolation beginning to creep into Waterford. While other cities seem struggle on Waterford is in free fall with very little being done about it. Sure what can be done about it has always been our response. Lets see what the outcome will be among the Politicians that supposedly represent the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

To be fair, what do people expect politicians to do about this? All they can do is spout about how unfair it is that Waterford is getting the raw end of the stick and how many families will now have to emigrate etc etc. Its not as if I dont think its sad but people expect local politicians to swoop in and save the day. If Edna cant make a dent with the big boys over our annual zombie bank debt, then Paudie etc sure as hell arent going to change simple economics and rent policies. We are definitely being ignored on the jobs fronts but why do people still look to politicians for the answers. It smacks of naivety.

Southeast has the highest unemployment rate at 19.4 percent, Its getting bad, As i said before there will be a knock on effect from B+Q closing, some people are saying its good:eek: All the english multiples will start to consider their position and get trigger happy.(cept tesco) they make too much here,

To be fair, what do people expect politicians to do about this? All they can do is spout about how unfair it is that Waterford is getting the raw end of the stick and how many families will now have to emigrate etc etc. Its not as if I dont think its sad but people expect local politicians to swoop in and save the day. If Edna cant make a dent with the big boys over our annual zombie bank debt, then Paudie etc sure as hell arent going to change simple economics and rent policies. We are definitely being ignored on the jobs fronts but why do people still look to politicians for the answers. It smacks of naivety.

I think the time is now for Enda to stand up and say now enough is enough to the troica and Merkel Police Stations being closed for the last time today the country looks like it imploding, if Ireland were to start saying ye know what if you dont start playing ball with us were not playing ball with you, that would throw europe and the euro back into great difficulty!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

shockwave wrote: »
    Its a massive store, would be hard to find another retailer to go into a building that big.

maybe another Tesco...we need another one:rolleyes:
    or how about Dealz...they do huge amount for the local economy when they open up.
    or how about some kind of a mixture of pound shops/tesco/cash for gold/bookies and kebab shop, they seem to be the only business that people of waterford will support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Looks deffo anyway that the Waterford branch will close, it was on the radio earlier that 2 branches will close. what does B+Q stand for anyway?
    Big and quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

"I dont know why TK Max left, well apart from the obvious "

Ha ha yeah i do:D

Sorry, I dont understand

Can you enlighten me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It is interesting how the British high st names are registering their ROI arms as xxxx Ireland and then letting them fend for themselves when things go bad.

Its seems to be the rent that kills them in the end, Athlone and Waterford would have been serious boom time rent contracts.

B&Q in Mahon pt always seems to be busy enough and I never go there on the weekend, always a Tuesday etc.

Advertisement