Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I'm surprised they are closing down as I felt all the other DIY/garden centres were dearer ie Morris's, homebase, woodies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

maybe another Tesco...we need another one:rolleyes:
    or how about Dealz...they do huge amount for the local economy when they open up.
    or how about some kind of a mixture of pound shops/tesco/cash for gold/bookies and kebab shop, they seem to be the only business that people of waterford will support

Sure another one of those huge conglomerates setting up shop actually does more harm then good. It has been proven that the likes of B&Q and Dealz actually cause more job losses than create as they use their financial clout to displace local businesses by driving down costs and forcing them out of business. For every one job they create, the displace 3 others.

Waterford is fubared and depending on cheap and tacky stores like Dealz to hold the place up speaks volumes about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Sorry, I dont understand

Can you enlighten me please?

They left cos they broke their licence agreement, They were only licenced to sell certain products in that area, but they were selling food products and the like, which i believe they didnt have an operating licence to do if it wasnt food it was some other product they didnt have a licence to sell and therefore had to move back to town in order to do so.

The people behind B+Q are business people, they arent stupid, they looked at the risk involved and decided it would make beter financial sense to keep Ireland under a seperate umbrella, and frankly they would have been stupid not to, its paying off now for them isnt it, so you can say they were spot on.

Partizan wrote: »
    Sure another one of those huge conglomerates setting up shop actually does more harm then good. It has been proven that the likes of B&Q and Dealz actually cause more job losses than create as they use their financial clout to displace local businesses by driving down costs and forcing them out of business. For every one job they create, the displace 3 others.

Waterford is fubared and depending on cheap and tacky stores like Dealz to hold the place up speaks volumes about the place.

Right but its too late to do anything about it now isnt it? Auld Jimmy's hardware shop that sold everything is well closed down by now and no matter how many big conglomerates close down, the little hardware local shop wont be back, it just wont, so we do actually need another large retailer to come in and provide the same amount of jobs that the previous one did, The jobs are no longer there and are becoming fewer and fewer it will end up like a ghost time, hopefully not, but the stats are pointing towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

How many tile places are there in waterford? how many builders suppliers are there? how many hardwares? theres still alot and theres still a less demand, were just losing a company that employs made 40 people thats 40 families and it WILL have a knock on effect on that retail park in terms of footfall, There will almost certainly be more closures of english multinationals

It is not only English multinationals but plenty of home grown shops as well that will face closure

I hate to say it, but how many shops are actually economically viable? Most of those shops started up during the bubble. Now the bubble has popped, they simply have no reason to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Partizan wrote: »

The function of any business is to make a profit, not create jobs. Driving costs and prices down is good for the consumer, as the consumer will have more money in their pockets to spend on other things.

When Dealz opened in Lisduggan Shopping Centre, other shops out there had to hire in more workers becuase of increased foot fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

er1983 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they are closing down as I felt all the other DIY/garden centres were dearer ie Morris's, homebase, woodies

Woodies have a price-match promise so if they are dearer on something you only have to say it at the customer service desk and they'll sort it out.

Its sad to see anywhere closing but as others have said, it always seems quiet out there. Any time I've gone to Woodies or Morris's on the other hand they're always at the very least ticking over.

Whens the sale starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

I am thinking more along the lines of what is going to happen with the other stores out there. First TkMAxx leaves there then B&Q.........

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

They left cos they broke their licence agreement, They were only licenced to sell certain products in that area, but they were selling food products and the like, which i believe they didnt have an operating licence to do if it wasnt food it was some other product they didnt have a licence to sell and therefore had to move back to town in order to do so.

The people behind B+Q are business people, they arent stupid, they looked at the risk involved and decided it would make beter financial sense to keep Ireland under a seperate umbrella, and frankly they would have been stupid not to, its paying off now for them isnt it, so you can say they were spot on.

Tk Maxx moving from from Butlerstown was a devestating blow for the area-why was the real reason for it??the knock on effect was huge-probably won't be long before Halfords is on the move also-such a shame

• Advertisement

All of these stores opened when there was a property boom and things were going good and there was enough to go around, so its only normal that these things receed,

I wonder how long Harvey Norman can hold out for? Id say they might hang on in there but ye never know, Wonder how halfords are doin?I will have no reason to go into that estate now that B+Q arent there and i useto pop into a few shops there but im sure theres plenty of people that would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Problem for shops like b&q is that the population outside cork, dublin and galway arent big enough to make them profits

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Problem for shops like b&q is that the population outside cork, dublin and galway arent big enough to make them profits

If that was the case Woodies would be closing their outlets at an alarming rate around Ireland, i don't believe its as simply as you've outlined here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

just remembered some lad on here thought this would have been a good location for IKEA :):)

Yeah but a shop like IKEA would attract people from all surrounding counties, although i dont think waterford is a good position, theyd probably want to be going to the likes of Cork instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Harvey Normal will be gone as soon as their current contract is up.

How is Halfords doing.

Government says it can't do anything about these upwardly only rent reviews.

Serve the landlords right if they end up with fcuk all rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

word is that there is three or four more high street english stores to follow the same route as hmv and b&q,
    this rent review thing is being pushed a lot but does not have as much impact as these english chains would let you believe, Kingfisher could easily to afford to carry a few under performing stores if they wanted to same as most retailers have to do, but they see that there is no future in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭road_high

just remembered some lad on here thought this would have been a good location for IKEA :):)

Not a hope I'm afraid. They'd want some where with a big population and a buoyant economy. Cork, just maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The function of any business is to make a profit, not create jobs. Driving costs and prices down is good for the consumer, as the consumer will have more money in their pockets to spend on other things.

When Dealz opened in Lisduggan Shopping Centre, other shops out there had to hire in more workers becuase of increased foot fall.

Don't think the footfall in Harvey Norman is helping B & Q .

Last time we shopped in HN , we decided to have a peek in B & Q , but is was so far away , we did't walk , but got into car and drove . - Its a long walk from one to other , especially if you buy in B&Q , its a long walk back to car at HN .

Found the display in B&Q suited building contractors , rather than DIY enthusiasts .

Also believe the buildings should have been planned better and built into a shopping center square , rather than a single row .

We had lunch today in Lisduggan SC , and its unbelieveable the traffic/footfall that has been created since Dealz arrived .

All units in Lisduggan seemed to be doing quite brisk business .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

anyone no when the closin down sale is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

niallo76 wrote: »
    Tk Maxx moving from from Butlerstown was a devestating blow for the area-why was the real reason for it??the knock on effect was huge-probably won't be long before Halfords is on the move also-such a shame

TK Maxx didn't leave, they were forced out of the area due to a couple of well known local business people highlighting the fact that they didn't have a proper licence. When TK Maxx were forced out of their unit every other unit down there suffered very badly. The knock on effects of what happened are only being seen now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

some shops put up prices when dealz turned up in lisduggan, all butchers did especially dunphys,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Don't think the footfall in Harvey Norman is helping B & Q .

Last time we shopped in HN , we decided to have a peek in B & Q , but is was so far away , we did't walk , but got into car and drove . - Its a long walk from one to other , especially if you buy in B&Q , its a long walk back to car at HN .

Are you serious on this point ? A long walk !! it's 2 minutes at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Sully wrote: »

B&Q would have gone even if the government worked for free.

And my comment wasn't just about b&q , death by a thousand cuts qnd I include the entire political system not one particular party

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

tankbarry wrote: »
    some shops put up prices when dealz turned up in lisduggan, all butchers did especially dunphys,

how do u know this

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Hoffmans wrote: »
    anyone no when the closin down sale is on?

stfu people,s jobs are at risk

stfu people,s jobs are at risk

In fairness, we are all sympathetic as i think you can read but they are most likely going to close if not certainly going to, and a sale is inevitable, Alot of stock may be moved to other stores maybe high end stuff like expensive power tools and that, then again maybe not we dont know what way the owners will think. As far as someone saying that B+Q is too far away from Harvey Normans:eek: Im thinkin maybe if your saying that, maybe the walk would do you good:D( just kidding)

I do kinda understand what your saying, you think it would be better if the shops were in a square so that people may be easier enticed to come in, at the end of the day people are becoming more and more lazy these days,sometimes we walk in for a quick look and come out with a hole in our pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We parked at HN and got some photos printed , then went to B&Q to buy a bag of firewood and 10kg coal .

It seemed a long walk carrying these bags .

As it turned out we , probably chose to park at wrong end :)

We parked at HN and got some photos printed , then went to B&Q to buy a bag of firewood and 10kg coal .

You know they do supply trollies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The secret is....... to park midway between the two!

Advertisement