Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience For I.T student in cavan?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My brother (Doesn't have an account of Boards) is looking out for work experience at the moment,He is looking for a location in around Cavan town or surrounding towns. He is doing software Design in Cavan institute and requires this in his course to pass, He is looking for any roll involving computers and is required to be 2 weeks in length,

Does anyone know anyone in particular or perhaps businesses that may have this environment and be able to take on a student for 2 weeks, I would really appropriate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

I am surprised that Cavan Institute doesn't have links to local businesses in order to facilitate job placements ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

if it's only a few weeks, perhaps inquire with the county council. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had their own internal team for coding their site, sharepoint, etc.. I had two weeks [architectural / planning] work experience with them when i was a kid. In my experience, local government (not just in cavan) has been supportive of this type of education. Apart from that, i'm not aware of any other businesses dealing with software design specifically, but then again i haven't been around there in a while..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Try CG power systems (pauwels trafo) dublin road just outside town. they often take students on for a couple weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

baalthor wrote: »
    I am surprised that Cavan Institute doesn't have links to local businesses in order to facilitate job placements ...

Yea,Nothing have been given out really, If the student can't find there own placement, They have to do something in the college for it, So i would rather myself out in the workplace than be stuck in the college for another 2 weeks.
    if it's only a few weeks, perhaps inquire with the county council. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had their own internal team for coding their site, sharepoint, etc.. I had two weeks [architectural / planning] work experience with them when i was a kid. In my experience, local government (not just in cavan) has been supportive of this type of education. Apart from that, i'm not aware of any other businesses dealing with software design specifically, but then again i haven't been around there in a while..

Thanks for that,
    Might sound silly this question so forgive me, Do the council have many jobs that would involve fixing/administrating computers?
    flanum wrote: »
    Try CG power systems (pauwels trafo) dublin road just outside town. they often take students on for a couple weeks .

Will send on CG an email and see if they have any places for students,

Thanks for the replys, Still open to further suggestions also folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Might sound silly this question so forgive me, Do the council have many jobs that would involve fixing/administrating computers?

to be honest, i don't know. Sorry. I work in ICT support directly, and was lucky enough to gain some valuable experience within the mayo county council. Helped me immeasurably with my career, also an honest and great bunch of people to work with. Coding is just not my thing, but they did have their own internal team for it. I can only presume (and hope) all county councils, if they're serious about online services as a overarching public service and cost saving measure, have similar teams.

i hate to nit pick, but your brother wants to work in software design, though he's incapable of signing up for a free account on arguably one of the the largest forums in western europe?

zero posts ≠ zero replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement