Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham donates PSG salary

• 31-01-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

I know he's not short on cash but this is an admirable gesture, donating his entire salary at PSG to a local children's charity. Good man David refreshing to see this among some players demands for unreal wages these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Wow great stuff from Becks. The man can do no wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The man is a gentleman, pure class on and off the pitch. Great role model for kids/men around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In before the cynics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Always liked Becks, this is a really good gesture.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fantastic gesture from him. Always had a soft spot for him. Would still take him at Newcastle in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Awesome stuff from Becks, always been a class act.

Remember when United won the treble, we played Arsenal at home in the feb, was a midweek game, went wit my lad and arrived early so he could get some autographs and meet the players, most signed but Becks arrived late, and shouted out that he couldn't sign but would after the game.

After the game, around 150 fans waiting in the pissing rain, Becks was just getting into his car when someone shouted that he said he'd sign stuff, he just shouted "I did didn't I"

Spent 60 minutes in the pissing rain signing pics and having photo's taken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fair play, one of the players I respect most in football, never thought I'd say that about a ManU man!

Gentleman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He's too cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It also shows how much he loves playing football. Many called him a part-time player when he moved to the states but he was essentially playing and training year round when he made his loan moves and now he is willing to play for no monetary benefit to himself. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great gesture from Beckham in fairness.

Wish clubs would make footballing signings though rather than these publicity ones, but thats modern football I guess sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

wow ... thats fantastic. Very admirable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

well, love him or hate him, you have to hand it to him. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Unbelievable, fair play Becks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Dreamy and charitable.

Posh is one lucky bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Esse85 wrote: »
    The man is a gentleman, pure class on and off the pitch. Great role model for kids/men around the world.

Obviously, apart from when he's whoring around..... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Great stuff from him. Fair play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It also shows how much he loves playing football. Many called him a part-time player when he moved to the states but he was essentially playing and training year round when he made his loan moves and now he is willing to play for no monetary benefit to himself. Legend.

He's still going to benefit financially in fairness. He will likely have sponsors and such lining up to get in on the good PR.

But it's still a great gesture and fair play to him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A credit to football even without this amazing gesture. No matter how much he has in the bank, he is working hard for 5 months togive to the children of Paris. Thats beyond the call of duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I admit to being very much an ABU but Becks is pure class, a proper legend.

Hope he cleared it with the missus first though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fair play to him, having said that he probably doesn't need the money at this stage. If a few more footballers took a leaf out of his book maybe, just maybe the game wouldn't be as obscene as it currently is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He's still going to benefit financially in fairness. He will likely have sponsors and such lining up to get in on the good PR.

But it's still a great gesture and fair play to him :)

That's secondary financial stuff. He is already a sponsor's dream. Not much more he can do to milk that cow. This just seems like a man who loves football who has decided he wants to help out some less fortunate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

P_1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, having said that he probably doesn't need the money at this stage. If a few more footballers took a leaf out of his book maybe, just maybe the game wouldn't be as obscene as it currently is.

To be fair, there's probably a lot of footballers who donate a large chunk of their wages to charity anonymously and Beckham will probably make the money back (and then some) through commercial deals as a result of this, but it's still a fantastic thing to do regardless. Massive help to these charities to even be associated with such a big name, so hats off to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

tumblr_lxpfttmPEq1rn95k2o1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

He's a good sort. Fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    fair play Becks , sorry I cant look on positive human nature.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

He's past it in football terms, and he doesn't strike me someone who'll venture into management or punditry. On the other hand he has huge branding value. Making this donation is a great investment in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I admit to being very much an ABU but Becks is pure class, a proper legend.

Hope he cleared it with the missus first though :eek:

Doubt she is too fussed, she is worth a cool £30 million herself!

Fair play, good cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Always liked him, great gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Awesome stuff from Becks, always been a class act.

Remember when United won the treble, we played Arsenal at home in the feb, was a midweek game, went wit my lad and arrived early so he could get some autographs and meet the players, most signed but Becks arrived late, and shouted out that he couldn't sign but would after the game.

After the game, around 150 fans waiting in the pissing rain, Becks was just getting into his car when someone shouted that he said he'd sign stuff, he just shouted "I did didn't I"

Spent 60 minutes in the pissing rain signing pics and having photo's taken

This is what we got, takes pride of place

IMAG1144.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Brilliant gesture from a true gent some kids lives will be better because of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Fantastic gesture from Beckham.
    He might have made his money over the years, but its very refreshing to see him do this in a football world of mercenaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He's past it in football terms

Yeah he has lost his pace, agility and silky skills.

All he will rely on now is his positional awareness and his right foot.

In fairness chap made a fairly decent living out of the 2nd 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Anyone know what his salary is?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fair play to him. Strange signing all the came, can't see where he'll really fit into the team. Maybe alongside Motta or Matuidi in a central midfield role?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/31/david-beckham-paris-saint-germain1?CMP=twt_gu
    Beckham, who confirmed his wife and children would stay in London, said he felt "very lucky" to have received a host of offers, including that from PSG.

"I'm 37 years old and was offered a lot of offers, more now than I've had in my career, and at my age. I'm honoured by that. I chose Paris because I can see what the club are trying to do, I can see the players the club are bringing in.

Beckham added that he had never considered a move to a Premier League club. "I've been successful with Manchester United and have always said I would never want to play for another English club. I've a lot of history with Manchester United, the team I support and dreamed of playing for. Unless it was Manchester United, I wouldn't want to play for any other Premier League team."

"I'm still fit, I can still play like I did when I was 21. I've not lost any of my pace because I didn't have any pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    To be fair, there's probably a lot of footballers who donate a large chunk of their wages to charity anonymously and Beckham will probably make the money back (and then some) through commercial deals as a result of this, but it's still a fantastic thing to do regardless. Massive help to these charities to even be associated with such a big name, so hats off to him.
    Little Pea wrote: »
    FYP

Seems you missed those parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surprising lack of cynicism in this thread.

Are boards.ie footall posters going soft?

Great that he's done it but if he was truly altruistic he would have done it without saying anything.

He has definitely invested in his brand with this move.

Also, amazed at media creaming themselves over it as he's finished as a top footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Fair play to him. He always come across as a genuinely nice guy in his interviews with an unbelievable passion for the game.

The man is a legend.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surprising lack of cynicism in this thread.

Are boards.ie footall posters going soft?

Great that he's done it but if he was truly altruistic he would have done it without saying anything.

He has definitely invested in his brand with this move.

Also, amazed at media creaming themselves over it as he's finished as a top footballer.

It's good PR tbf and he doesn't need the cash. He'll probably be a billionaire by the time he hits 60.

He still actually did it though.

The media love stories like this, particularly as he's English. In the same breath, they'd only love to get another scoop like the rebecca Loos affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice gesture and it will increase his profile in France, Europe and Qatar.

He'll be rolling in the sponsorship deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

JPA wrote: »
    Nice gesture and it will increase his profile in France, Europe and Qatar.

He'll be rolling in the sponsorship deals.

He already was to be fair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Top man....well done Becks!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He already was to be fair.

Ya. They'll be off the scale though I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Credit where credit is due - always liked him as a player and a person, this will only add to peoples admiration of him, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I've always liked Beckham and fair play to him. It's great for the charity involved.

It's peoples reaction to it that's annoying me.

He's possibly the wealthiest footballer of all time making a relatively tiny donation to charity yet people are absolutely creaming themselves over it.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I've always liked Beckham and fair play to him. It's great for the charity involved.

It's peoples reaction to it that's annoying me.

He's possibly the wealthiest footballer of all time making a relatively tiny donation to charity yet people are absolutely creaming themselves over it.

Loads of players do it but this is Becks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Top man, Becks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Loads of players do it but this is Becks!!

Didn't drogba give his entire payment from a commercial a few years back to build a hospidal in the ivory coast. I remember reading about it but not much coverage in the media sadly.

Fair play to becks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement