Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham donates PSG salary

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Didn't drogba give his entire payment from a commercial a few years back to build a hospidal in the ivory coast. I remember reading about it but not much coverage in the media sadly.

Fair play to becks.

Adebayor and Bellamy have both refused to take pay cuts in the past couple of years when leaving Man City because they both claimed to donate most of their wages to charity.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Didn't drogba give his entire payment from a commercial a few years back to build a hospidal in the ivory coast. I remember reading about it but not much coverage in the media sadly.

Fair play to becks.

Yeah he donates a lot to charity.

Bellamy is another. He set up a football academy in Seirra Leone afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

rarnes1 wrote: »

Community service? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah he donates a lot to charity.

Its all about brand Beckham and future, he has savage advisers.

Beckham brand is worth about 150m i read, he donated about 4.6m with this move. Bellamy donated close to that but without the 'circus'.

Not making any remark towards Beckham in a bad way with this but plenty give money, big money without the press conference to announce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

In fairness to Becks, I think the fact he is playing for no money effectively would have come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

335171.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

EdenHazard wrote: »
    In fairness to Becks, I think the fact he is playing for no money effectively would have come up.

It wasnt meant like that on my part. I wasnt having a go.

Its win win win for everyone. PSG get the PR, the shirt sales etc. Beckham plays for nothing and that money given to charity doesnt even touch the surface of the increased brand awareness he probably got from today.

The cynic would say that theres even room for charitable donations to be excused from FFP but with the fallback of increased awareness of PSG in terms of the sponsorship clout they can bring in and stick Becks face on it.

Great business for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

BB-ZjZgCQAIF01b.jpg

HAWT.

<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

His next bit of charity is going to play for Aston Villa in the championship for free next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Top, top bloke, much respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Great PR stunt by Brand Becks and everyone has fallen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Signed for PSG? Beckham is a money whore.
    Donated all the wages to Charity? PR stunt.

*facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Everyone except you clever cloggs, well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

If only all the other rich people did same for publicity then there would be no poor in the world,(you get it) well done Becks

• Advertisement

I hope he didn't say anything about it til after he had the contract signed, milk PSG for everything he could :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

As I've already said it's the reaction to it that's ridiculous.

People are absolutely creaming themselves over it.

It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Henlars67 wrote: »

It's pathetic.

I think people are merely saying fair play rather than creaming themselves, calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The cynic (not me of course I think its a wonderful gesture) would say that 150k a week to charity would benefit PSG too in their (pretty futile) attempts to comply with FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Nice gesture but the term "brand Beckham" makes me want to vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Henlars67 wrote: »

It's pathetic.
    The only people creaming themselves are the people falling over themselves to point out that anyone who sees any good in the gesture is a fool.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

fair play to becks, a very good move form as PSG are going well and they could be the surpise team in the CL this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's secondary financial stuff. He is already a sponsor's dream. Not much more he can do to milk that cow. This just seems like a man who loves football who has decided he wants to help out some less fortunate people.
    Think it's a bit naieve to think he's purely doing it to help poor people, he just wants to play footie and he can't possible promote himself any more.
    He'll probably be retiring soon, so brand beckham will be all he has, this charity donation has got him back in most newspapers in the world for a very positive reason. Look at the reaction in this thread alone? His brand value has gone up again, and more sponsors will be looking to use him and existing ones will be renewing contracts.
    And before anyone calls me a "begrudger", I still think it's a great move. Becks wins, charity wins and his sponsors win. And he does come across as a decent bloke, which I doubt is put on for the cameras, it does seem to be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Fair play to Mr Beckham, I do admire him for this gesture.

But dont fall into the trap people . One gesture does not a philosophy make. The salary is a pittance in the scale of the package hes walking into Im sure, Brand Beckahm hits the Champs D'Elysee.

My mind is on both sides of the fence on this ...
    I really really do admire him for this gesture , it shows some redeeming charachter in the man and I applaud it
    but at the same time I wish him and his missus and all their ****e and all they represent would fk off..
    I love soccer but I still think theres a debate needed on the stupid wages they are on and the stupid cars they drive and they ridiculous lifestyles and value systems they project onto impressionable younger people

Wasnt there some cyclist sometime who did loads of work for charity too ...

lifes complicated who knows whats going on, but I hope it starts a trend.
    Theres been plenty other soccer players have made great guestures like this, without the PR machine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fair play to Mr Beckham, I do admire him for this gesture.

But dont fall into the trap people . One gesture does not a philosophy make. The salary is a pittance in the scale of the package hes walking into Im sure, Brand Beckahm hits the Champs D'Elysee.

My mind is on both sides of the fence on this ...
    I really really do admire him for this gesture , it shows some redeeming charachter in the man and I applaud it
    but at the same time I wish him and his missus and all their ****e and all they represent would fk off..
    I love soccer but I still think theres a debate needed on the stupid wages they are on and the stupid cars they drive and they ridiculous lifestyles and value systems they project onto impressionable younger people

Wasnt there some cyclist sometime who did loads of work for charity too ...

lifes complicated who knows whats going on, but I hope it starts a trend.
    Theres been plenty other soccer players have made great guestures like this, without the PR machine .
    I agree with you on most points. But there's no real "trap" here. All you'll do is come out of it thinking Becks is a great guy, no harm really. About Lance doing the same, the difference was that he cheated, conned, bullied and bribed his way to the top. Becks didn't, and I would be very very surprised if loads of becks team mates came out and said he was a wánker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It doesn't matter a jot the benefits beckham or psg gain from this gesture. The bottom line is the kids who will benefit. So I tip my hat to them

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

I don't like Beckham. I tend to associate him heavily with the celebrity culture that goes hand in hand with football these days.
    But I'll give him credit for this one, that money will do a lot of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Fair play to Beckham, the last time the kids in Paris got something back from football three national team players ended up on charges.

hang on a minute ... do I smell a rat here ...

Isnt there a wealth tax in France ....75% or something.. and if your in the French tax system are your earnings in other jurisdictions eligible for taxation ...
    so if a person isnt taking a salary but donating it all to charity does that mean they are not eligible to be part of the French tax system ....

so when is Becks taken out Russian citizenship... maybe Im all wrong on the above ..who knows, who cares ... is that my bus .. must go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The only people creaming themselves are the people falling over themselves to point out that anyone who sees any good in the gesture is a fool.

And these words have been proven more and more correct in last 18 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

This is in no way cynical, but with his recent work around the Olympics and the World Cup bid, I think he's trying to set himself up for a knighthood. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, I've no opinion one way or the other. If he gets it, he's well entitled to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

hang on a minute ... do I smell a rat here ...

Isnt there a wealth tax in France ....75% or something.. and if your in the French tax system are your earnings in other jurisdictions eligible for taxation ...
    so if a person isnt taking a salary but donating it all to charity does that mean they are not eligible to be part of the French tax system ....

so when is Becks taken out Russian citizenship... maybe Im all wrong on the above ..who knows, who cares ... is that my bus .. must go .

You're wrong.

About ALL of the above.

Seaneh wrote: »
    You're wrong.

About ALL of the above.

maybe Becks feels guilty about having spent the last five years promoting a Ponzi pyramid scheme that prays on low-income and particularily the hispanic community in California.

I could be wrong about that too.
    Seaneh do us a favour drop the FTC a note, to tell them they are wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

People have a right to be cynical about the ulterior motives behind charitable gestures. Charity has been abused by charlatans and frauds on countless occasions. Agnes Bojaxhiu, Lance Armstrong, even Hamas do plenty of charity work. There is also a certain social hierarchical distaste about large scale charity donations, particularly if you support a more fabian-like political system that doesn't render the care of the poor to the whims of the wealthy.

Here we have a past-it footballer, who has clearly both extended his professional sell-by-date and increased his post-football earnings by a calculated and ruthless PR machine. He signs for a club in a city that very much suits his wife's business dealings, and takes the first opportunity to then blabber about giving his wages to charity. Bear in mind that he is not anywhere near the standard to play for this team and he may well have ended up getting punitively taxed at any rate. Short term, he will also secure alternative sources of revenue through sponsorship, long term, his brand value continues to strengthen. Meanwhile, the team will benefit from boosted merchandising revenue and a ~€5m tax write-off.

So yeah, on several levels, this "charitable" gesture completely reeks of self-interest and profiteering. Call me a cynic all you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Its a great gesture alright but in the back of my mind i have a feeling its part of a PR stunt and is another step towards Becks getting his Knighthood.I dont think he will be happy till he is called "Sir"..Still a very nice gesture all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

You're wrong.

About ALL of the above.

I read about the 75% thing too. Is there any articles out there that debunk it as I'd like to read both sides of the theory.

roanoke wrote: »
    I read about the 75% thing too. Is there any articles out there that debunk it as I'd like to read both sides of the theory.

The proposition for the 75% tax was thrown out by a French court, but they are apparently looking at ways around this.

IMO, it's bluster by Hollande and it won't be introduced.

Ah that Bill Gates lad with his billions to wipe out diseases, he's just doing it so he can make more money in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Jeez, yes it was a great PR move but either way it was a brilliant gesture.

It's not as if he is lying or anything like that, the charity and kids will benefit from all of this and that is always admirable. I say the same for all the footballers who donate considerable amounts to charity, fair play to all of them.

Always like Becks, seems like a top bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

roanoke wrote: »

show me articles that prove it first, you're making the claim it's reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

show me articles that prove it first, you're making the claim it's reality.

I'm not making a claim either way. You're the one making the claim that it's "all wrong" and I merely asked you for the information you base your opinion on so I can read it myself and further inform myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

why are people hung up on the exact number. wether its 75% or 74.9% or 50% tax hes avoiding .

People should cop themselves on and be looking at the big picture rather than trying to sound intellegint by pointing out spelling mistakes and unimportant numerical inaccuracies simply cos they feel they should contribute to the debate but have little in the way of an original thought to contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    People have a right to be cynical about the ulterior motives behind charitable gestures. Charity has been abused by charlatans and frauds on countless occasions. Agnes Bojaxhiu, Lance Armstrong, even Hamas do plenty of charity work. There is also a certain social hierarchical distaste about large scale charity donations, particularly if you support a more fabian-like political system that doesn't render the care of the poor to the whims of the wealthy.

Here we have a past-it footballer, who has clearly both extended his professional sell-by-date and increased his post-football earnings by a calculated and ruthless PR machine. He signs for a club in a city that very much suits his wife's business dealings, and takes the first opportunity to then blabber about giving his wages to charity. Bear in mind that he is not anywhere near the standard to play for this team and he may well have ended up getting punitively taxed at any rate. Short term, he will also secure alternative sources of revenue through sponsorship, long term, his brand value continues to strengthen. Meanwhile, the team will benefit from boosted merchandising revenue and a ~€5m tax write-off.

So yeah, on several levels, this "charitable" gesture completely reeks of self-interest and profiteering. Call me a cynic all you want.
    Lance Armstrong (and Mother Teresa, to an extent with which i'm less familiar) helped lots of people. That they have flaws, however damning, in other aspects of their lives doesn't change the fact that Lance setting up Livestrong was a great thing for lots of people, or that Teresa helped many people, or that Beckham doing this will lead to many unfortunate people benefiting. That he will benefit too isn't a bad thing. If nobody loses, then this event occurring is fantastic, is it not? Or are you just begrudging?

Also, I'd think that only a person who had no interest in making a real point would refer to Teresa by a name by which almost nobody knows her, rather than the name everyone in the western hemisphere knows.

So I wouldn't call you a cynic. If it weren't against the forum charter, I'd call you a begrudging twat who just wants to appear knowledgeable and wise, but it is, so I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

why are people hung up on the exact number. wether its 75% or 74.9% or 50% tax hes avoiding .

People should cop themselves on and be looking at the big picture rather than trying to sound intellegint by pointing out spelling mistakes and unimportant numerical inaccuracies simply cos they feel they should contribute to the debate but have little in the way of an original thought to contribute.
    Not about the number, really. The fact is it isn't a wealth tax, it's an income tax. And the same tax rate applies in England, if it is 50%.

• Advertisement

Lance Armstrong (and Mother Teresa, to an extent with which i'm less familiar) helped lots of people. That they have flaws, however damning, in other aspects of their lives doesn't change the fact that Lance setting up Livestrong was a great thing for lots of people, or that Teresa helped many people, or that Beckham doing this will lead to many unfortunate people benefiting. That he will benefit too isn't a bad thing. If nobody loses, then this event occurring is fantastic, is it not? Or are you just begrudging?

Also, I'd think that only a person who had no interest in making a real point would refer to Teresa by a name by which almost nobody knows her, rather than the name everyone in the western hemisphere knows.

So I wouldn't call you a cynic. If it weren't against the forum charter, I'd call you a begrudging twat who just wants to appear knowledgeable and wise, but it is, so I won't.

Ha! What an incredibly stupid post. Let it never be said that familiarity with a subject is a prerequisite for expressing an opinion. Have a read of this and if you've time to watch this, I strongly recommend that you do.

I also can't exactly say that I begrudge a bigoted virgin who died foolishly thinking she was destined for sainthood. Nor do I begrudge a man so two-dimensionally evil as to be bordering on the status of stage villain.

Advertisement