Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company in operation without being registered

Options
  • 31-01-2013 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was about to get a company to do some work for me, as the company name was on the local County Council website, where there was a list which identified "suitably qualified" personal to carry out the specific task i require completed.

however, when i look up this company on the internet, i can not find any sign of the company's register details, VAT number, etc.

i looked for details on the company on solocheck.ie, but no sign of it. It appears that the company is not even registered.

It does not have a website address or anything, which is ok, but surely it needs to be registered.

is there any way i can find out for sure if this company is registered, and if it is not, surely this guy / company should not be listed on such a reputable website as the local County Council ?

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Do you know if its a trading business name. Do you know any names of the directors, have a look at cashiq.ie and see if thats any help to you. Or pm me the details and I'll see if I can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was about to get a company to do some work for me, as the company name was on the local County Council website, where there was a list which identified "suitably qualified" personal to carry out the specific task i require completed.

however, when i look up this company on the internet, i can not find any sign of the company's register details, VAT number, etc.

i looked for details on the company on solocheck.ie, but no sign of it. It appears that the company is not even registered.

It does not have a website address or anything, which is ok, but surely it needs to be registered.

is there any way i can find out for sure if this company is registered, and if it is not, surely this guy / company should not be listed on such a reputable website as the local County Council ?

Jo
    Why don't you email the council and ask them?
    Strange that you can't find it on Solocheck.ie i usually have no problem maybe the council misprinted his company name.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

First thing's first - is it actually a company, as in a LTD co?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Check on these sites:
    www.cro.ie
    www.duedil.com (you can search for people on this as well, will show any directorships)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

First thing's first - is it actually a company, as in a LTD co?

Thanks lads.

Well the "company' has a name, although it may only be a small one, and the person is willing to take money in exchange for his service, so surely he needs to be registered to do so, no? Vat number etc.

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Thanks lads.

Well the "company' has a name, although it may only be a small one, and the person is willing to take money in exchange for his service, so surely he needs to be registered to do so, no? Vat number etc.

Jo

a sole trader may not have to register for VAT, depending on annual turnover and can trade under their own name without registering with anyone other than Revenue.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi,

Jo

Hi Jo,

I can understand your concerns when it comes to getting work done by a reputable company.

You have work to offer, given the fact that there are so many companies looking for work at present why give yourself a headache searching for details of an unregistered company, just offer the work to a registered company.

If on the other hand you feel that the council should not have an unregistered company on their website contact the council.

You could also contact the company, tell them you want to offer them some work but you have concerns about their business status. I'm sure they would be more than happy to supply you with the information you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Thanks lads.

Jo

Jo, we're fortunate to live in a country where anyone can start any unregulated business without hindrance from the state. The only requirement is that we inform the tax authorities, and to register with health authorities in the case of food businesses.
    The registration of a business as a company is not for the benefit of the public or the customers; it's primarily to protect the owners from business failure, legal issues etc.
    So from the point of view of a customer, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Embrace the freedom. In many states in the USA, hairdressers, manicurists, mechanics, plumbers, bricklayers (this list is as good as endless) have to obtain licences to trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

a sole trader may not have to register for VAT, depending on annual turnover and can trade under their own name without registering with anyone other than Revenue.

Peter

still have not found him on any of the above checks.

how can i find out if he's registered with the revenue?

Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Jo

They're obliged to quote their tax number on various documents - including an estimate. They can choose to make a tax clearance certificate visible - but they don't have. Otherwise, their tax registration isn't any of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

off topic but
    In many states in the USA, hairdressers, manicurists, mechanics, plumbers, bricklayers (this list is as good as endless) have to obtain licences to trade.

that can be a good thing. You have to pass exams and it should at least imply a minimum standard.

Yes I know in some states it is a protectionist measure for certain professions (barbers are a case in point)

Jo

How about this Jo,

Pick anyone you know who is a self employed sole trader, and try to do find on them, whatever info it is you seem to feel you need to find on this other guy. I'm pretty sure you won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

amen wrote: »
    off topic but

that can be a good thing. You have to pass exams and it should at least imply a minimum standard.

Yes I know in some states it is a protectionist measure for certain professions (barbers are a case in point)

Looks like we'll stay off topic. ;)

All an exam does is prove that a person can reach a government defined standard once. If I take my car to a guy who makes a mess of it, I'll tell everyone and his mother that So & So Mechanics are crap. Same if I'm not happy with my manicure or haircut (those who know me should stop sniggering now). So the real test of what is an acceptable minimum standard belongs in the market place with people free to choose who provides the service they want, at a price they like to the standard that they require. A system of apprenticeship and training is better than any regulation as an idiot or moron most likely wont make it to the end of his training period.

Protecting a business from further competition doesn't allow the customer a fair choice.

And I believe that the licensing issue in the states is primarily a revenue generating exercise, based on the premise that the government thinks that people will feel better if their service person is "Approved" by the state: or at least the government tells people that they can feel confident in licenced service providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

What is going on here? The OP seems far to interested in the legal status of the provider, a competitor perhaps? Seems like a vested interest fishing trip to me If I am wrong I apologise.

It I were looking to engage the person, I would be looking at references from existing/past customers and checking them out. I just do not get the level of concern with such an irrelevance to the buyer. If they have genuine concerns, why not just go get someone else to quote/do the work? am I missing something here?

Peter

What is going on here? The OP seems far to interested in the legal status of the provider, a competitor perhaps? Seems like a vested interest fishing trip to me If I am wrong I apologise.

It I were looking to engage the person, I would be looking at references from existing/past customers and checking them out. I just do not get the level of concern with such an irrelevance to the buyer. If they have genuine concerns, why not just go get someone else to quote/do the work? am I missing something here?

Peter

+1

Was thinking the exact same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Peter

+1
    I too was thinking that the OP had an unhealthy interest, and in my previous post I was suggesting in a polite way he move on.

Advertisement