Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to recover BIOS, poss replace HDD

Options
  • 31-01-2013 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a friend's laptop that appears to have a number of problems, many of them seemingly created by the last person who attempted to fix this, who apparently corrupted the BIOS.

Anyway, the model of PC is HP Mini 210-2002sa (Product Number: XD396EA#ABU)

Upon startup, I get a message saying:
    The SMART hard disk has detected an imminent failure[...]run the hard disk test in system diagnostics

I am offered the choice of pressing F2 to run this, but pressing this gives:
    The HP BIOS application selected is corrupt or missing. Please install application and try again... BIOS Application Error (501)

Now, I try to restart while pressing F10 to get the BIOS utility to open, the dialog at the bottom appears to suggest that the BIOS is opening, but I am brought back to the statement at the beginning of this post.

I have concluded that a BIOS restore and update (if there is one) is necessary, since the hard disk error may simply be a symptom of the BIOS error. At least the BIOS error is easy to cross off the list before I go telling this person to spend fifty quid on a HDD.

The problem is I simply cannot find the BIOS file. The HP site has been a nightmare to deal with, as it just keeps firing non descript documents at me, with no file type. Can anyone help me locate the BIOS file?

Comments

Advertisement