Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxback.com Canada Refund anyone use them?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Have anyone used taxback.com to get a refund from the Canada Revenue Agency its almost tax time and I am wondering weather to use them or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'm currently using them to get tax back from my J1 but I am still in the early stages. A friend used them last year and he had no problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I seen they charge you 14% of your tax refund ouch might try doing it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

its easy enough to do yourself, you can buy a program for around 20.00, i've used h and r block before, they are quite good, but it's simple enough to do yourself especially a basic return without investments rrsp ect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

im getting my t4 in a few weeks and i have absolutely no idea what to do with it.i assume if i "do it myself" ill save by not having to pay somebody commission, but what do i have to do? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

I use either of these website to do mine. You can enter all your info and it tells you the tax you get back before you actually have to pay. Usually they both report the same amount of tax back, give or take a couple of dollars. Then after you pay, you can file online (think you may have to be a PR to do this though) or just print off the whole thing and send it off the the tax office :)

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/index.jsp

or

http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile.aspx

Its really simple - dont waste money using taxback.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

So.. just been on taxback.com online calculator and it says I could get a refund of $1200, BUT on Turbotax it says $200. Big difference... Is taxback.com legit as regards the amount they promise for canadian returns?? Im only working since midjune last year.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

minnow12 wrote: »
    So.. just been on taxback.com online calculator and it says I could get a refund of $1200, BUT on Turbotax it says $200. Big difference... Is taxback.com legit as regards the amount they promise for canadian returns?? Im only working since midjune last year.. Any ideas?

hmm, if you only worked half the year last year, then i would have thought you would get quite a lot of tax refunded...unless you earned lots of money in that time. But it depends on how much you earned and how much tax you paid....like did they tax you less cos you only started working half the year?

I will say that the one time that I did use taxback i did get back pretty much what they said I would....it just took a lot longer than when I do it myself and then they also take a cut (I cant remember exactly what it was, but it was more than the price of turbotax.) With such a huge difference in the amounts you're being quoted though, id probably be more inclined to use taxback. Just check you didnt make a mistake entering some info on turbotax first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bringing this back up as I've since left Canada but need to file my return from abroad.

Anyone else use them before? Just got my T4 during the week and looking to claim. Always got a few thousand back from using H&R block while I lived in Canada so looking for something similar this time around.

Advertisement