Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo town: looking for archery tutor and practice space

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,

I've recently been doing a few rounds at the local indoor range and I'm dying to get into the sport a bit more seriously. One problem, I don't drive. The nearest club (Carrowmore) is too far to be practical except on weekends and I would like to be able to practice in the evenings after work, so I'm trying to find:

a) a tutor willing to give me a few lessons in Sligo town or nearby (paid of course)

b) a suitable space that I can rent for personal practice

I've tried contacting the club at Carrowmore, the golf course at Strandhill who do archery and Sligo IT's sports centre but I've not received replies to any of my queries.

Anyone out there know of any experienced Sligo based archers, or have any tips for looking for space to rent? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

Hi Technophebe from Carrowmore Archers!
    sorry to hear that you have had no joy in contacting us could you please let me know what points of contact you have tried?
    I am the webmaster for Carrowmore and should have received anything from our contact page, and also monitor and reply to any query that comes in from our facebook page.
    I am also an instructor at the club so would be delighted to to see you there. (though I acknowledge your transport difficulties!)
    Typically we hold our Have-A-Go sessions on Tuesday nights or Sundays. I travel from the other side of Sligo to the club for these events and may be able to offer you a lift if that helps. We are an IFAF club which means we operate with appropriate insurance cover - something you will not have if you rent a space or get private instruction.
    Coming to the club will ensure that you get correct advice on the correct equipment for your physique, you will also be pointed in the right direction for buying suitable and safe equipment (hint not your local sports shop!).

Best regards,
    Dickon Whitehead

• Registered Users Posts: 5 technophebe

Hi Dickon,

I did finally manage to get through to you on your Facebook page, thanks for replying here too. I haven't been able to get through on the phone yet, I've only rung in the day though as didn't really want to call in the evenings in case I was disturbing someone's personal life! Would love to come down to a have-a-go session, do they run every Tues/Sunday or just selected ones?

And if you do happen to be passing through town on the way to an upcoming session a lift would be amazing, I will happily give you some cash for petrol so everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

Have you tried leaving a text message or voicemail for David (who organises the Have A Gos) on 083 400 4130?
    The have a go sessions are organised when we have enough interested people to make it worth doing, as a result they tend to happen in waves so maybe nothing for a month and then one a week or so for a while.The take place on Tuesday evening or Sunday morning depending on what time we have available.

My number is 087 2359879 if you have trouble contacting David or for when you need a lift! I do not always be near the phone so do leave a message or a text.

Dickon

Advertisement