Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feet issues

• 31-01-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but figured its my best bet!

I used to walk a lot. Was too skinny. Then I learned to drive, moved, etc and now I'm slightly overweight.

Since gaining the weight my feet have started to give me awful trouble. Pain when walking, cramps (lower legs and ankles only). It does affect my gait - not a limp - but something! One professional referred me to a podiatrist who charged me ~€100 for generic orthotics that did nothing. Went to a physio who diagnosed "forefoot valgus" and mocked up orthotics that have helped but pain, neuromas and a new corn/callus/ball-of-pain still persist. This physio is now on maternity leave - I couldn't even get a receipt for health insurance claim! :mad: Though her explanation and my reading of the forefoot valgus seems to fit. And I now have an appointment with a sports clinic for a bio mechanical assessment. I don't have high hopes though as when talking to the qualified and registered practitioner they asked me what a forefoot valgus is! But I have heard that they are very good and have some high profile sports clientele.....
    The added weight on bad foundations is obviously making everything worse. I'm in the process of fixing my diet and will start swimming or cycling when I can afford it. But that won't fix the underlying problem.

Who would you consider to be the best, the go-to, know-it-all foot professional in the country?
    Are there any other boardsies who have forefoot valgus?

My understanding of a forefoot valgus is that the foot is twisted so that the outer/small toes don't touch the ground and the arches are high so the weight is put on a very small area of the foot. A very unstable foundation causing a delay in beginning to walk, poor balance, etc.

Advertisement