Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9th February Protests Limerick

• 31-01-2013 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

IM surprised no one has posted this yet, a week from saturday on the 9th of february there is set to be national anti austerity protests over the bank debt, property tax etc,trade unions,cahwt and other groups will be taking part, protests are set to take to place in many different towns that saturday including Limerick, how many on the Limerick forum plan to take part in the Limerick protest on the 9th february ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Am Chile wrote: »
    IM surprised no one has posted this yet, a week from saturday on the 9th of february there is set to be national anti austerity protests over the bank debt, property tax etc,trade unions,cahwt and other groups will be taking part, protests are set to take to place in many different towns that saturday including Limerick, how many on the Limerick forum plan to take part in the Limerick protest on the 9th february ?
    So is this protest against trade unions, as well as the other mentioned items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I'll be popping down to show some support. Tired of it all at this stage, billions squandered with no benefit whatsoever for us the Irish People (and our visitors from the four corners of the earth, Poland, China etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Am Chile wrote: »

Personally I won't go to a march the unions are involved in. ..but I would like to protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who are behind this CAHWT group? Just find it interesting how they are looking for people to donate money to them, yet their website does not actually give a lot of information about them or who exactly would be in charge of the money that gets donated to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

We all partied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I`ll be there.

http://www.ictu.ie/jobsnotdebt/

All welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

jmch81 wrote: »
    So is this protest against trade unions, as well as the other mentioned items?
    Its a protest against EVERYTHING.
    Personally, I'm really pissed off about the recent bad weather, so I'll be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

dvpower wrote: »
    Its a protest against EVERYTHING.
    Personally, I'm really pissed off about the recent bad weather, so I'll be there.

The Government apologists really go out of their way to ridicule every thread that dares to mention the word protest. probably scared s##tless that their cronyism will be revealed to the 'head-patters' in Europe.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

What is the Route of the march, going in to put some feet on the ground.....

assemble at art gallery beside peoples park and the mechanics institute top of hartstonge street 1.20/1.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Do we know the finish line?

haven't a clue, though my guess would be penney's or somewhere around there, maybe Arthurs quay park if theres a good turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I will to there protest about our greedy TDs. They have their heads still stuck in the troff while the rest of us suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Yep, I will be heading down shortly myself. Hope its a good turn out now.

See ye all down there...

Had to attend a short meeting in town this afternoon, but caught a glimpse of the march as it went by. Looked like there was quite a large turnout.

Estimated 25000 in Dublin, 8000 in Limerick, 6000 Cork and 6500 in Sligo and 2000 in Galway. Good turnout from Limerick citizens, not so great for Cork and Galway, suppose it may reflect the jobs boosts from the IDA in both regions over the past half decade in this recession. Overall fair play to the good folk of Sligo another region neglected by the powers to be. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0209/366914-marches/

padma wrote: »
    Estimated 25000 in Dublin, 8000 in Limerick, 6000 Cork and 65000 in Sligo and 2000 in Galway. Good turnout from Limerick citizens, not so great for Cork and Galway, suppose it may reflect the jobs boosts from the IDA in both regions over the past half decade in this recession. Overall fair play to the good folk of Sligo another region neglected by the powers to be. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0209/366914-marches/

Think Sligo must have had a baby boom overnight. :p

Waterford is down as having had a turnout of circa 2,000, just to put with the figures you gave.

The estimated figure for all the protests combined is around the 50 thousand mark. Must admit I am quite surprised at that estimated figure. Was expecting to hear that Dublin got at least that much by itself.

Kess73 wrote: »

Waterford is down as having had a turnout of circa 2,000, just to put with the figures you gave.

The estimated figure for all the protests combined is around the 50 thousand mark. Must admit I am quite surprised at that estimated figure. Was expecting to hear that Dublin got at least that much by itself.

No doubt the organisers will have a different figure for the turnout. Dublin's a bit lazy today alright they have what 16/17 times the population of Limerick yet only two times more the turnout, what's holding them back? years of marchers for all different causes? remember the drop the debt for Africa turnout was huge, drop the debt for ourselves not so popular. Media fatigue, sense of powerlessness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Estimated 25000 in Dublin, 8000 in Limerick, 6000 Cork and 6500 in Sligo and 2000 in Galway. Good turnout from Limerick citizens, not so great for Cork and Galway, suppose it may reflect the jobs boosts from the IDA in both regions over the past half decade in this recession. Overall fair play to the good folk of Sligo another region neglected by the powers to be. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0209/366914-marches/
    Kess73 wrote: »
    No doubt the organisers will have a different figure for the turnout. Dublin's a bit lazy today alright they have what 16/17 times the population of Limerick yet only two times more the turnout, what's holding them back? years of marchers for all different causes? remember the drop the debt for Africa turnout was huge, drop the debt for ourselves not so popular. Media fatigue, sense of powerlessness?

There are a number of factors which affected the turnout. Undoubtedly the effect of the recession in Sligo/Northwest and Limerick/Midwest colours people's outlook.
    But a significant factor in the Mid West having proportionately one of the highest turnouts is the fact that Limerick Council of Trade Unions billed the protest clearly as an anti austerity protest against the government, whereas ICTU's line on the day of action concentrated on the terms of the bailout deal and that we were supposed to be marching in order to help our government in their negotiations with the ECB:o.

David Begg's stance is embarrassing and most people rightly ignored him. After all, the government gave up on the idea of negotiating last wednesday. Then, the route of the march in Dublin was organised to avoid exposing itself to the masses by steering well clear of O'Connell Street! Who thought *that* was a good idea?

While there wasn't really a clear direction given from the Trade Union speakers on what should be the next step in the campaign, the Trades Council should at least take note that if they offer a clear direction that their members and the general public will support them.
    ICTU's wishy-washiness is very uninspiring. And I'm sure the Labour Party will be hoping that the marches will have acted as a mechanism for people to blow off some steam and that their anger might dissipate somewhat.

tis a silly situation with this promissory note, some folk think it's all good now for us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxPmI7Rc2l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2pw-ospnjbA

• Advertisement
Advertisement