Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old bedtime routine

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

We give our 3 month old his last feed at 9pm and he usually goes down between 9.30-10pm. He wakes up around 4.30am for another feed but the last two mornings has slept till 6am. Would love to bring his last feed forward to 8pm as he gets very grisly in the evening.

What time do you give your 3 month old their last feed in the evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We give our 3 month old his last feed at 9pm and he usually goes down between 9.30-10pm. He wakes up around 4.30am for another feed but the last two mornings has slept till 6am. Would love to bring his last feed forward to 8pm as he gets very grisly in the evening.

What time do you give your 3 month old their last feed in the evening?

My 3 mth old goes to bed at 7-7.30, I feed him as part of his bedtime routine. I give a dream feed at 10.30/11pm and then he wakes for a feed anytime between 5 and 6am after which he goes back down til 7/8am. He's breastfed.

You don't get much time to yourself either with the late bedtime? Maybe try bringing it forward 15 mins at a time until you get to the time you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ariana` wrote: »

My 3 mth old goes to bed at 7-7.30, I feed him as part of his bedtime routine. I give a dream feed at 10.30/11pm and then he wakes for a feed anytime between 5 and 6am after which he goes back down til 7/8am. He's breastfed.

You don't get much time to yourself either with the late bedtime? Maybe try bringing it forward 15 mins at a time until you get to the time you want?

Yes exactly. We wud love to have a bit if time to ourselves in the evening. We brought his last feed to 9pm as 2-3weeks ago it was 10pm and he wasn't going down until 11-11.30pm.

But he does sleep for a good long period so I can't really complain. 7.30pm would be wonderful! Will try bringing it forward gradually like you advise. It's great to get other people's routines to compare :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I would say same as other poster, bring it forward by 15 min at a time. I was doing same: feed 6h45, bed 7pm, dream feed 10/11pm but mine would only go until about half 2 am and again 6am. But the evenings of peace were just bliss!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    It's great to get other people's routines to compare :-)

I couldn't agree more. I love talking to mams at the same stage. Its my 2nd baby but I can't remember the details from 1st attempt at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I give my baby an extra once at 9.30 or 10, then she sleeps til 7.30 most days

• Advertisement

I give my baby an extra once at 9.30 or 10, then she sleeps til 7.30 most days
    Wow that's great going at 3 mths, lucky you. My lad won't do that for a while yet I'd say.

ariana` wrote: »
    Wow that's great going at 3 mths, lucky you. My lad won't do that for a while yet I'd say.

Yea you are lucky! Our wee fella would sleep until 8am when we were giving his last feed at 10pm. But he would take an hour to take it (240ml). So he wasnt going down till 11ish. And we had no time for ourselves in the evening as he would be quite grisly. I breast feed during the day but we had to start giving him bottles at night because even tho I could express a good 250ml breast milk in one go it just wasn't enough or heavy enough to settle him. But the bottle puts him to sleep :-). Last night we gave him the 240ml (9oz) which he finished at 9.50pm and he was up at 5.30am for his next 240ml. Tonight he finished his bottle at 9.30pm... Fingers crossed he wakes a little later. Going to start bringing forward 15minutes on Monday.

So I've now bought our LO's last feed to 8.30pm over the course of the last week. When his feed was given at 9pm the last couple of weeks he would sleep till about 5 or 6am. But now the last 2 nights that ive given his bottle at 8.30pm he's waking at 2am and 6am for feeds! Initially about a month ago when his last feed was at 10pm he would sleep through till 7 or 8am! So he can sleep for long periods.

He will be 12 weeks on Sunday. Does anyone think this is perhaps the 3 month growth spurt?? If so, then that's totally fine and understandable he is waking. But if its too early for his growth spurt am thinking of bringing his feed later again.

Does anyone know how long these growth spurts last? He's taking an extra 150mls overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Maybe its a growth spurt or maybe you need to increase the amount in each bottle as baby is getting bigger and hungrier.

Maybe its a growth spurt or maybe you need to increase the amount in each bottle as baby is getting bigger and hungrier.

He's already taking above the norm for his age in each bottle. He takes 240ml in each bottle. When he wakes at 2am he will only take about 150-180ml. But we definitely cant give him anymore then we are. Gp and phn have also warned us off the hungry milk.

I also top him up with breast milk.

Anyone know how long growth spurts last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A growth spurt usually lasts a week so they could feed more often on and off or continuously for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We would effin love to have some part of our evenings back for ourselves.

Our typical nights at the moment are last feed somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30, finished 45 mins later and then she goes to sleep between 11:30 and 12:30.

She goes down basically then for 9.5 hours, sometimes longer if she's allowed. While my wife loves that she gets to stay in bed till 8:30, then get up and have her breakfast and a shower before the baby wakes, in all other respects it kills us. I'm up at 7am for work, and when I get home from work then it's 100% baby until midnight.

She seems to go on a 12-hour cycle. So if her first feed is at 9:30, her last feed is at 9:30. She's almost exclusively breastfed (though we've nearly introduced a full formula bottle for one feed), so the problem is that her feeds are entirely reliant on my wife. If she runs 10 minutes over, then the feed is ten minutes late, which knocks on to the rest of the day, meaning her last feed gets later and later. We've tried pulling it back, but the rest of life means it's impossible to get timing right. As much as you can plan to say "Right, last feed at 9:15", by the time you've had dinner and crossed off everything else on your list, it's 9pm and the baby still needs to be bathed and changed before the feed. Not to mention that we need to be ready for bed because once she goes down we haven't a hope of getting ready for bed without waking her up.

It'll all work itself out though. Compared to the first 8 weeks where she would take 2 hours to settle, wake 5 or 6 times per night, sometimes screaming for an hour with the wind, at the moment we're delighted just to be able to get an uninterrupted night's sleep.

seamus wrote: »

Our typical nights at the moment are last feed somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30, finished 45 mins later and then she goes to sleep between 11:30 and 12:30.

She goes down basically then for 9.5 hours, sometimes longer if she's allowed. While my wife loves that she gets to stay in bed till 8:30, then get up and have her breakfast and a shower before the baby wakes, in all other respects it kills us. I'm up at 7am for work, and when I get home from work then it's 100% baby until midnight.

She seems to go on a 12-hour cycle. So if her first feed is at 9:30, her last feed is at 9:30. She's almost exclusively breastfed (though we've nearly introduced a full formula bottle for one feed), so the problem is that her feeds are entirely reliant on my wife. If she runs 10 minutes over, then the feed is ten minutes late, which knocks on to the rest of the day, meaning her last feed gets later and later. We've tried pulling it back, but the rest of life means it's impossible to get timing right. As much as you can plan to say "Right, last feed at 9:15", by the time you've had dinner and crossed off everything else on your list, it's 9pm and the baby still needs to be bathed and changed before the feed. Not to mention that we need to be ready for bed because once she goes down we haven't a hope of getting ready for bed without waking her up.

It'll all work itself out though. Compared to the first 8 weeks where she would take 2 hours to settle, wake 5 or 6 times per night, sometimes screaming for an hour with the wind, at the moment we're delighted just to be able to get an uninterrupted night's sleep.

Same as that! When our LO was glong down later at night he would sleep through. It was great that I could get up and shower etc before he would wake!

But the late bedtime meant me and other half had no time together. Now that we've begun to bring his last feed earlier he's up all night and waking so early!

Hopefully if we keep it up he will begin to go longer without feeds.

Seamus you are lucky your little one sleeps through the night on breastmilk! Iwas exclusively breastfeeding but had to start introducing a bottle as my LO was initially up every hour during the night. I had a good supply and could express 250 ml no problem but breast milk would never settle him to sleep!

Since we brought the feed earlier... Even if he is up during the night... I have to say that the extra hour or two I get to spend with the other half is just lovely! And I can prepare the house for the next day :-)

It'll all work itself out though. Compared to the first 8 weeks where she would take 2 hours to settle, wake 5 or 6 times per night, sometimes screaming for an hour with the wind, at the moment we're delighted just to be able to get an uninterrupted night's sle.

Sea us would you do a dream feed? Put baby to bed at her 2nd last feed and then give the last feed as a dream feed?

Our 15 wk old had his bedtime feed at 7/7.30 pm so he's in bed by 8pm worst case scenario, usually 7.30. I then pick him up and feed him in his sleep at 10.30/11pm. He wakes around 4-5am for a feed and then sleeps until 8am. My problem is I don't get much sleep after the 4-5am feed cos my toddler is awake anytime from 6am and its a long day then until they're both in bed at 8pm. My toddler doesn't nap anymore and the baby only does 3x30minute naps so I'm exhausted and NEED them both in bed by 8pm or I would crack up!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've tried it and it doesn't really work for us. She has a fairly set routine in between feeds. Straight after the feed and she's burped, she's wide awake and having great craic. This goes on for an hour to 90 minutes. Then she'll get a bit sleepy and 4 times out of 5 will go down for a 30-45 minute nap. Then another bit of kickabout time, change the nappy and it's time to be fed again.

If we try to put her to sleep after the 2nd last feed, the odd time she'll drift off, but she'll be awake and bright-eyed 30 minutes later. For some reason she seems to know the routine at night. She goes down, sometimes needing a little coaxing (but not much), and then is comatose until the next morning. But during the day the slightest thing can wake her and then she's wide awake and screams bloody murder if you try to get her back to sleep. She enjoys the craic too much :D

We've tried it and it doesn't really work for us. She has a fairly set routine in between feeds. Straight after the feed and she's burped, she's wide awake and having great craic. This goes on for an hour to 90 minutes. Then she'll get a bit sleepy and 4 times out of 5 will go down for a 30-45 minute nap. Then another bit of kickabout time, change the nappy and it's time to be fed again.

If we try to put her to sleep after the 2nd last feed, the odd time she'll drift off, but she'll be awake and bright-eyed 30 minutes later. For some reason she seems to know the routine at night. She goes down, sometimes needing a little coaxing (but not much), and then is comatose until the next morning. But during the day the slightest thing can wake her and then she's wide awake and screams bloody murder if you try to get her back to sleep. She enjoys the craic too much :D
    Lol sounds like a fun baba! I firmly believe they are born with their own internal body clocks, its hard to mess with it but it changes as they mature, she'll let you know in her own time when she is ready for an earlier bedtime. Isn't it funny how they wake so easily during the day after 30 minutes, my lad is the same, every night I put him to bed half expecting him to wake after 30mins but he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

i could cry reading this!! 2 month old...feeds 6ozs every 3 hours down to sleep at 7/8pm up at 12 or 2 then wide awake after that. sleeps 20 or 30mins max during the day-dunno how he isnt wrecked.
    we feel like such bad parents-he hasnt a NOTION of sleeping the night and/or drinking more to knock him out.

Advertisement