Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making money while on job seekers allowance

Options
  • 31-01-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am on JA and have been exploring
    ways of making money online.I have made a miserly 10 euros so far but want to step it up because I do not see myself getting a job soon

My question is how do i proceed while am still on welfare?I want to sell products on amazon but need to register for tax.Am scared that if i do that my payments will get affected somehow?
    Have been researching on the back to work thing but it seems to apply to bricks and mortar businesses only?
    Do not want to go and enquire at the welfare office because of bad expriences there

Anyone else with similar experience?Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I have no idea how it'll work but someone else can explain it.
    But ultimately, you need to inform them. A friend of mine didn't inform them and made something like an extra 50 euro per week doing that census thing or whatever it was and she got into Hell and back with the welfare over not declaring it even though it wouldn't have affected her money by much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

You will have to register as self employed and register for income tax. It's not as simple as going in to welfare and saying 'hi I've earned €10 euro this week'. If they find out you are earning on the side, you will be cut off completely. The back to work enterprise allowance allows you keep you welfare for two years while you get your business off the ground. That mite be an option. And it doesn't require 'bricks and mortar'. Amazon selling etc would be classed as self employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The enterprise allowance does not just Apply to bricks and mortar businesses. It's a great scheme that allows you 12 months to throw yourself into your new business.

Advertisement